Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Christmas lunch at Steyning grammar school

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A school has apologised after images of its Scrooge-like Christmas lunch went viral on social media, prompting comparisons with a trial from I’m a Celebrity … Get Me Out of Here!

Steyning Grammar School and Sixth Form College, in West Sussex, said it would refund the cost of the meal after complaints from parents.

https://www.theguardian.com/educati...im-christmas-lunch-goes-viral-on-social-media

If you don't want to look. it consisted of a dry white bap topped with a slice of turkey, a single pig in blanket, a small rectangle of stuffing, and a store-bought mince pie for £3.50.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That sounds so dry I'd suggest using it as a flood defence

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yum! :drool:

If Ryanair did Business Class...

1280.jpg

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Had 6 Steyning Grammar Xmas lunches in my day, nothing like that though. All I can say is welcome to Academisation and the free market school dinner.

Correct me if I am wrong but its a private school isn't it

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Correct me if I am wrong but its a private school isn't it

No it isn’t ! Food at private & especially public schools is taken very seriously - if that was ever served , they would never live it down . Because it’s a comprehensive they probably think as the parents have no real power they could get away with it and blame lack of budget .

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's fascinating to see what Ebenezer Barber was offering in the hospitality dining experience to the original 1901 Club members.

1801.jpg

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My daughter goes to Steyning Grammar School and went hungry because it was either this or nothing, while other parents spent £3.50 on this swill.

My understanding is that this is NOT outside caterers, this is in-house catering. Lack of staff and supply chain issues being blamed for this fiasco.

Yet, again, parents are expected to pay over the odds for sub-standard fare, and all this on the back of expensive iPads not being delivered on time, parents expected to buy the new Bohunt school uniform, the new site at The Towers Upper Beeding not being remotely ready in time for the start of the September term.

2021 = A poor year for Steyning Grammar. D MINUS - MUST DO BETTER!.

el punal

When I was at Steyning Grammar there used to the most evil woman in history who was the Head Cook/Chief Dinner Lady/Fuhrer who despised everyone. After finishing your meal, or it finishing you, any slop left on the plate would then be deposited in a, well, slop bucket. Her vocal command to all and sundry would be the same “Scrape the plate! Scrape the plate!”

So here’s to you Mrs.Scrape - the - Plate, and your memorable school dinners and the ever lingering taste. :sick:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My lad had that lunch, he said the stuffing was bouncier than your average tennis ball.

Whats happened to Steyning is sad. It's still a good school, but is being carved up. Church Street sold off, and now accademised. Fortunately my lads nearly done there, he'd doing well.

School dinner were good when we were there in the 80's.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My understanding is that the school has issued a full apology and offered a refund. This is only right something has gone badly wrong and this represents really poor value for money.

and then you see some of the shit that people feed themselves at home, when they are too lazy to cook for themselves??? There is nothing here that is inedible or disgusting, it just isn't very appetising and poor value, which is something completely different.

No one at the school deserves shaming over this, if anything some sympathy is due. Carry on punching down, it is so much easier that way.

Jul 7, 2003
This reminds me of [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] and his guess the 1901 dining threads.

"A slice of slow roasted free range turkey breast served on an artisan bun with a Toulouse sausage wrapped in oak smoked bacon and pressed sage and herb. Complemented by a locally sourced mince pie made with brown butter pastry and Courvoisier brandy soaked fruits."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here