Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brentford manager calls for weekend shutdown in Premier League Covid fight

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thomas Frank: “We think we should postpone the full round of Premier League games this weekend,” he said. “Covid cases are going through the roof at all Premier League clubs; everyone is dealing with it and having problems.

“To postpone this round and also the Carabao Cup round [next Tuesday and Wednesday] would give everyone a week at least, or four or five days to clean and do everything at the training ground so everything is clean and you break the chain.”

Frank was informed midway through his Thursday morning press conference of four more Covid cases overnight at Brentford – bringing the total involving players and staff at the club to 13.

More >>> https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...eague-weekend-shutdown-brentford-thomas-frank

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He's right.

Absolutely he is. But the telly rules all and the season schedule is already tight, because of the corrupt wallys who decided next season has a desert based World Cup in the middle of it.

So don't hold your breath for the right thing to happen.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Absolutely he is. But the telly rules all and the season schedule is already tight, because of the corrupt wallys who decided next season has a desert based World Cup in the middle of it.

So don't hold your breath for the right thing to happen.

I never expect the self-interested to do the right thing.

It will take a joint statement from Liverpool, ManUre, Citeh, Spuds and Chelsea for any action. Otherwise it will continue to be one rule for them and one for us.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don't agree with him

Clubs have strict protocols in place.

Even if shut it all down then still can catch out and about so best to just crack on within the guidelines they have

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Happy to go with the flow, however decisions need to be made now and not at the last minute.

Travel to games this weekend costs, and late changes of plan incur charges.

Do it now, or not at all.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
He's 100% right - but we all know it's all about he money, mainly foreign TV deals etc

Take last night - we were encouraged to wear masks, not mingle on concourses etc but at the same time the food concessions were open....

On the separate subject of postponements I find it staggering that in the middle of a pandemic the PL went into this season with no hard and fast rules about how many covid cases it would take for a match to be pulled.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
That's the sensible thing to do.

But since when has the Premier League done the sensible thing?

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
a break would on the face of it make sense, both for the clubs and the population at large.

I can not believe that having hundreds of thousands of supporters crisscrossing the country, in trains, coaches etc, and then all mingling at stations, grounds etc will not spread Omicron at an increased rate

Having a 10 day break will also help the clubs break transmission and give those affected a chance to recover

This situation also just highlights the madness of having a quarter of the season played out over a month. With so many games in such a short space of time, anyone affected is out for 3 games and the need to rush injured players back into depleted squads risks further injury

It seems incomprehensible that the Premier League/EFL/FA had no criteria in place for this scenario-it was hardly unexpected, and now we have the appearance of making it up as they go along, and the suspicion (justified or not) that top teams are being given favourable treatment will persist in those clubs (us, Norwich , and others) who have had cases but not postponements. At least if there was a published set of criteria, everyone would know where they stood

All in all this seems like another SNAFU, with money seemingly at the heart of decision making rather than the welfare of the players, staff and supporters

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Leicester vs Spurs called off now. Why they couldn’t have done this yesterday is beyond me, fans will have already started travelling.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely we must be approaching a tipping point where something is done beyond just the odd cancellation?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Leicester vs Spurs called off now. Why they couldn’t have done this yesterday is beyond me, fans will have already started travelling.

They had a wasted trip up to Burnley as well, 45 minutes before kick-off.

The government have to act now and stop all football for a couple of weeks....... It's something I've been thinking about all morning.

My little niece has tested positive for the Covid Omicron variant.That's put Christmas in jeopardy personally. :down:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
It's the sensible thing to do. The right thing to do.

Which means the football authorities won't do it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Better not be postponed I have just completed my MUFC away Covid declaration form

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
Can’t cancel 1.

WC qualifiers. Which of course has extra games now.

No problem.......cancel the whole corrupt thing. This would free up all sorts of time pressure for the start date of next season. And in many ways it would simply be the right thing to do even without Covid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here