Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Has football forgotten they are in the entertainment business?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
1) If I went to the theatre and one of the performers had a "technical issue", the show would go on regardless, come what may! The ref had a whistle, what else does he need to ref a football match.

2) Does every away team now use the "oh my head ref" to take minutes out of the game and spoil the pattern of plan? It's pathetic.

3) Does every single home team now adopt the horse shoe tactic , side to side, down the wing, back again, side to side, and repeat....

It just seems like they are so focused on not losing a game of football that they have forgotten why they are there. The bubble will burst if this sort of nonsense continues.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
I am so bored watching us. I think I need a break from it all and I never thought I'd say that in nearly 40 years of watching the Albion. Give me some goddamned entertainment rather than this never ending side to side rubbish. And if that makes me ungrateful then I really couldn't give a shit. Football, the Albion and Potter are on thin ice for me. Some last minute equalisers and lucky wins have papered over some awful performances this season.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I am so bored watching us. I think I need a break from it all and I never thought I'd say that in nearly 40 years of watching the Albion. Give me some goddamned entertainment rather than this never ending side to side rubbish. And if that makes me ungrateful then I really couldn't give a shit. Football, the Albion and Potter are on thin ice for me. Some last minute equalisers and lucky wins have papered over some awful performances this season.

Did you write this afresh? Or copy and paste from same thread last season? Or season before that? Or season before that? Or season before that…?

Because I totally agree!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
As someone who works in theatre stage management, I can assure you that this isn't true. With the increasing reliance on automation to cut crew staffing costs, there are regular show stoppages and cancellations at many AAA West End productions when technology fails. Recently (within the last few weeks), performances of The Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge, Frozen and The Life of Pi have been cancelled for technical (non Covid) reasons.

If you add in Covid related cancellations, the West End is averaging 5+ cancellations per night, peaking tonight with 12 cancellations at "A" venues including three of the largest and highest grossing shows.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Yes, yes I do :)

Fascinating, so while I have your attention can you tell everyone:

1) What was the play ?
2) Where was the theatre ?
3) What was the technical issue ?
4) Who was the performer ?
5) How did the performer overcome it ?

I presume you are a huge fan of musical theatre and I have a little empathy. When Mwepu hit that ball over, I honestly thought - What would John Barrowmen have done in that situation ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
As someone who works in theatre stage management, I can assure you that this isn't true. With the increasing reliance on automation to cut crew staffing costs, there are regular show stoppages and cancellations at many AAA West End productions when technology fails. Recently (within the last few weeks), performances of The Phantom of the Opera, Moulin Rouge, Frozen and The Life of Pi have been cancelled for technical (non Covid) reasons.

If you add in Covid related cancellations, the West End is averaging 5+ cancellations per night, peaking tonight with 12 cancellations at "A" venues including three of the largest and highest grossing shows.

In the all of the above instances I assume the show could not go on.

We had a man with a whistle. It could have done.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Robbie Savage said exactly the same on 606 at the weekend.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In the all of the above instances I assume the show could not go on.

We had a man with a whistle. It could have done.

If the match had gone on, without VAR, it would be an obvious deviation from the rules laid out for the competition this season. The fairness of the outcome of the result would be questioned. If he hadn't got it working, the game would have been abandoned.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If the match had gone on, without VAR, it would be an obvious deviation from the rules laid out for the competition this season. The fairness of the outcome of the result would be questioned. If he hadn't got it working, the game would have been abandoned.

Exactly the point Michael Crawford was making on Radio 4 this morning.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

I know that is why. But how sad is that. How very sad.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
But entertainment isn't the primary purpose, is it? It's first and foremost a sporting competition. It happens to be one that is/can be entertaining to watch, but the people in charge are running a competition, one with rules and structures that are intended to bring some degree of fairness and parity*, and ensuring the official are fully equipped to do their job is part of that.

*how successful they are in that is, of course, debateable, but I think often people lose sight of this.

Sunday lower league football is more entertaining

I have to agree that there is little entertainment watching the Albion at the moment. I live near Reading and tonight it took nearly 3 hours to get to the AMEX and after such an inept display I wonder why I bother. If it were a one off then you can accept that but tonight, Leeds, Newcastle, Norwich, etc simply not good enough and the problem rests with the management. Nothing will change until TB decides enough is enough and he gets in somebody who can inspire, motivate and with a game plan that asks questions of defences through being more positive rather than the passive keep ball approach we have now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Clearly what the OP is asking for is more Jazz Hands from Potter on the side lines and the odd tune from Annie from the East Stand.

I don't him personally but I know a few who have seen his Hamlet at half time and I'm told it's very impressive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here