Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Goals from 'open play'

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I love our club. I like Potter. I like a lot of our players but I don't enjoy watching us at all in the final third. It's the absolute lack of belief and bravery to score that gets me every game. Anyway, our goals from open play is absolutely shocking this year. If you remove penalties, free kicks and a goal from a corner we've scored a grand total of.......

8 goals from 16 league games.

This 8 includes Maupay's at Watford which Bissouma handed him on a plate from pressing and Maupay's at Palace which they 'let bounce'. Good finishes but they had very little to do with our approach play so conceivably 6. That's pathetic.

People will disagree but I don't think a Welbeck header V Leicester or Maupay's V Southampton constitutes open play for the record. Regardless we're so soft in front of goal it's galling as we all know. Yay another thread about goal scoring!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I love our club. I like Potter. I like a lot of our players but I don't enjoy watching us at all in the final third. It's the absolute lack of belief and bravery to score that gets me every game. Anyway, our goals from open play is absolutely shocking this year. If you remove penalties, free kicks and a goal from a corner we've scored a grand total of.......

8 goals from 16 league games.

This 8 includes Maupay's at Watford which Bissouma handed him on a plate from pressing and Maupay's at Palace which they 'let bounce'. Good finishes but they had very little to do with our approach play so conceivably 6. That's pathetic.

People will disagree but I don't think a Welbeck header V Leicester or Maupay's V Southampton constitutes open play for the record. Regardless we're so soft in front of goal it's galling as we all know. Yay another thread about goal scoring!

But you can't dismiss the goals you mentioned, just because they came from mistakes. In reality, every goal comes from one or more mistakes of some description. Their goal tonight came from a mistake. It was still a perfectly good goal from open play.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
It is baffling, especially when Potter apparently coaches players to be brave out of their comfort zone. To be honest I haven’t seen any evidence this has worked. Maybe he needs to get them ballet dancing and singing like he did with his team in sweden !:lolol:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I just don’t get how Potter gets off the hook week after week, he’s the manager ffs. We have took the lead just once in 11 games.

That’s an incredible stat.
Anyone at Burnley would’ve been worried.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I don't think we have to get into a debate about what constitutes open play, I think we can agree that we've been poor going forward for a long time. Our low goals for tally isn't bad luck

A lack of men in the box. A lack of speed on the break. A lack of composure and confidence. Little threat from corners

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
You need players with the confidence to take defenders on. At the moment we struggle with this

Only Lamptey and Bissouma can go past people. Bissouma is too deep to make any difference. Lamptey too wide (with no threat to cross to). Trossard can but then turns back on himself.

It's not enough. Absolutely terrible recruitment in this regard. Give Potter someone with pace I suspect he could coach elements to them. He can't coach our 35 midfielders to run faster.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Only Lamptey and Bissouma can go past people. Bissouma is too deep to make any difference. Lamptey too wide (with no threat to cross to). Trossard can but then turns back on himself.

It's not enough. Absolutely terrible recruitment in this regard. Give Potter someone with pace I suspect he could coach elements to them. He can't coach our 35 midfielders to run faster.

Hence our Tippy Tappy sideways and backwards passing with no real threat posed

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
I just don’t get how Potter gets off the hook week after week, he’s the manager ffs. We have took the lead just once in 11 games.

I think it's important to remember that Potter is a genius, we are lucky to have him and he is the greatest English manager of all time.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I'm in a very small minority that think it's not the players but the coaching. They can ping forty yard balls to feet on the run but five yards from goal send it ten yards high/wide/both.

Composure, striking technique and confidence seem completely void in the whole squad and that comes from the training ground as does our often static movement in the box.

Our laboured buildup play and lack of world-class creativity could be overlooked if we had the aforementioned skillset to tap in the odd sitter.

I'm not saying we ditch Potter, far from it. But feel a coach to assist our almost laughable attacking prowess could be the missing piece and a far more important piece than any individual player. Unfortunately this is a seemingly unlikely appointment.

I agree we need another striker, though how quickly will be write them off when they inevitably begin to misfire?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes, goals are rare and they will remain rare as long as 15 or 16 PL teams have more and better attacking players than Brighton. That is the harsh reality.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Yes, goals are rare and they will remain rare as long as 15 or 16 PL teams have more and better attacking players than Brighton. That is the harsh reality.
Did Brentford just get lucky then. What about Ajax outside of the prem, they don't have a massive budget but score she'd loads. It's not just about budget. We just can't scout attacking players and haven't been able to for decades !!!

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
To add to our problems our dead ball kicks invariably come to nothing. Clearly you would expect every team to practice their free kicks and corners in the lead up to a match but our efforts look like there is no plan or even designated kicker. No imagination, just a clip in the box that either gets cut out at the near post or floats harmlessly over everyone.

Oops - just seen the set pieces thread! ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here