Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hospitalisations

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
This is US data and not completely up to date (and therefore not Omicron-specific) but you can probably spot the pattern.

intro_10222021.jpg

Joe 90

Sep 16, 2021
JUST IN - South Africa hospitalization rate plunges to only 1.7% in #Omicron wave, compared with 19% in previous "Delta-driven" wave - Health Minister

Only 26% of the population in South Africa is fully vaccinated.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
JUST IN - South Africa hospitalization rate plunges to only 1.7% in #Omicron wave, compared with 19% in previous "Delta-driven" wave - Health Minister

Only 26% of the population in South Africa is fully vaccinated.

There was a net increase of 14 hospitalisation in the UK yesterday. Delta is still out there doing damage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...gures-show-nhs-may-avoid-overwhelmed-omicron/

Covid hotspot figures show NHS may avoid being overwhelmed by omicron - here’s why

Sharp rise in cases in South Northamptonshire has not been followed by comparable growth in hospital admissions, data show
By
Ben Butcher
and
Henry Bodkin,
SENIOR REPORTER
18 December 2021 • 7:20pm

The NHS may avoid being overwhelmed by omicron, with the UK’s surge reflecting the experience in South Africa, early figures suggest.

Analysis by The Telegraph of Britain’s outbreak hotspot of the new variant reveals that the spike in cases is not being followed by a comparable rise in hospital admissions.

According to data collected by the Wellcome Sanger Institute, South Northamptonshire was one of the first areas to suffer a cluster of cases, with more than 926 cases per 100,000 people - the highest in the country.

However, the hospital admission rate at the Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust is not experiencing a similar surge.

As of December 12, its rolling admissions rate was steady at about 11 per cent of the January peak, broadly matching those trends of high cases but lower admissions seen in South Africa.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
It's really difficult to know which way to go here. There are many posters on here, Twitter and the news channels that seem "certain" we are worrying about nothing, and this will all blow over and in fact Omicron may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Then there is that little voice in my head that's saying, "this is all going to rat shit, again".

My birthday is in 4 weeks time. I guess by then things will be a lot clearer, one way or another!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
From the DT

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...gures-show-nhs-may-avoid-overwhelmed-omicron/

Covid hotspot figures show NHS may avoid being overwhelmed by omicron - here’s why

Sharp rise in cases in South Northamptonshire has not been followed by comparable growth in hospital admissions, data show
By
Ben Butcher
and
Henry Bodkin,
SENIOR REPORTER
18 December 2021 • 7:20pm

The NHS may avoid being overwhelmed by omicron, with the UK’s surge reflecting the experience in South Africa, early figures suggest.

Analysis by The Telegraph of Britain’s outbreak hotspot of the new variant reveals that the spike in cases is not being followed by a comparable rise in hospital admissions.

According to data collected by the Wellcome Sanger Institute, South Northamptonshire was one of the first areas to suffer a cluster of cases, with more than 926 cases per 100,000 people - the highest in the country.

However, the hospital admission rate at the Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust is not experiencing a similar surge.

As of December 12, its rolling admissions rate was steady at about 11 per cent of the January peak, broadly matching those trends of high cases but lower admissions seen in South Africa.

Some early signs of cases slowing in South Africa too, with deaths remaining low and steady, some 40 days since the first known Omicron case on 9th November.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's really difficult to know which way to go here. There are many posters on here, Twitter and the news channels that seem "certain" we are worrying about nothing, and this will all blow over and in fact Omicron may be the best thing since sliced bread.

Then there is that little voice in my head that's saying, "this is all going to rat shit, again".

My birthday is in 4 weeks time. I guess by then things will be a lot clearer, one way or another!

Same here. Definitely nothing certain yet IMO…….need more data. I can understand the dilemma faced - it’s really difficult. Lockdown to stop the spread and then find it was unnecessary with all the damage that entails, or fail to lockdown and NHS gets overwhelmed ??

I don’t accept the SAGE modelling though (or more the way it’s being used) - the worst-case scenarios driving the ‘lockdown now’ agenda have been appallingly pessimistic and never remotely approached throughout the pandemic.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Same here. Definitely nothing certain yet IMO…….need more data. I can understand the dilemma faced - it’s really difficult. Lockdown to stop the spread and then find it was unnecessary with all the damage that entails, or fail to lockdown and NHS gets overwhelmed ??

I don’t accept the SAGE modelling though (or more the way it’s being used) - the worst-case scenarios driving the ‘lockdown now’ agenda have been appallingly pessimistic and never remotely approached throughout the pandemic.

I am fairly confident that many people have never really believed the "following the science" line and have always felt the science has been led by policy - it seems we were right!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here