Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] No Right Turn Offence

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My wife was stopped by the Police today for contravening a no right turn sign (it's a relatively new thing - been there since September relating to some large scale roadworks, first time we've been there since). She had to show her licence and was cautioned 'anything you may say, etc' - and the Police left her with 'you'll be hearing from us in due course - could be a fine, could be court'.

I can't quite work out the penalty / process. Seems a bit excessive to threaten court proceedings?

Anyone been through it?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Aren't Miranda rights only read when under arrest?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My wife was stopped by the Police today for contravening a no right turn sign (it's a relatively new thing - been there since September relating to some large scale roadworks, first time we've been there since). She had to show her licence and was cautioned 'anything you may say, etc' - and the Police left her with 'you'll be hearing from us in due course - could be a fine, could be court'.

I can't quite work out the penalty / process. Seems a bit excessive to threaten court proceedings?

Anyone been through it?

Any help ?

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/legal/fixed-penalty-notices/

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Sounds like the police office was being a bit of a nob. Should be a fixed penalty notice if they was the only offence surely ?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sounds like the police office was being a bit of a nob. Should be a fixed penalty notice if they was the only offence surely ?

I got stopped for ignoring a no U turn sign - I’m sure Edna will be able to give the exact wording but I was told at the time that I would be reported for consideration of prosecuting me for the offence, I think it was failing to comply with a traffic sign.

Never heard anything more.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Thanks dazzer - I found that as well, but it seems to be about Fixed Penalty Notices, and refers to no right turn offences as a 'Penalty Charge Notice' (issued by the council), and there seems to be little around on this. I shall keep looking! or just wait till we get the paperwork....

I did find this http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/fixed_penalty_notice.php which specifically refers to a FPN being issued by the Police when stopped contravening no right turn signs - but what concerns me is that she wasn't given a FPN there and then.

This looks helpful though https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/fixed-penalty FPN for neglect of traffic directions, £100 & points (so much like speeding really).

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I got stopped for ignoring a no U turn sign - I’m sure Edna will be able to give the exact wording but I was told at the time that I would be reported for consideration of prosecuting me for the offence, I think it was failing to comply with a traffic sign.

Never heard anything more.

Hopefully! He was 'very nice' apparently. Although as I pointed out, 'not so nice just to tell you not to do it again....'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thanks dazzer - I found that as well, but it seems to be about Fixed Penalty Notices, and refers to no right turn offences as a 'Penalty Charge Notice' (issued by the council), and there seems to be little around on this. I shall keep looking! or just wait till we get the paperwork....

I did find this http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/procedure/fixed_penalty_notice.php which specifically refers to a FPN being issued by the Police when stopped contravening no right turn signs - but what concerns me is that she wasn't given a FPN there and then.

This looks helpful though https://www.theaa.com/driving-advice/legal/fixed-penalty FPN for neglect of traffic directions, £100 & points (so much like speeding really).

With luck she might be in line with what [MENTION=27275]Creaky[/MENTION] describes………they’ve simply given her a bit of a fright (using the caution?), rather than issuing a FPN with points/fine. Probably easier than dealing with the paperwork, but gets the message across.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I don't think you get points for failing to comply with a prohibited turn sign like you do for running a red light or no entry sign.
My (admittedly rather old) Bench book also says
These offences are eligible for fixed penalty offer. Where there is a valid reason why the case could not be dealt with by fixed penalty (eg holder of a non-uk driving licence, licence at DVLA for change of details etc), impose a fine equivalent to fixed penalty, endorse licence as appropriate and do not order costs.
So if she gets summonsed for it, she should tell the court that she wasn't offered a FPN and should only be fined the equivalent amount

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I don't think you get points for failing to comply with a prohibited turn sign like you do for running a red light or no entry sign.
My (admittedly rather old) Bench book also says
So if she gets summonsed for it, she should tell the court that she wasn't offered a FPN and should only be fined the equivalent amount

Thanks

Were you a magistrate / JP? Must have been interesting.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I got done a few years ago for turning right when there was a sign (small, didn't see) saying not to in the Elephant and Castle area.

Got a fine only from LBC as an ANPR camera is apparently fitted there just to catch people like me who didn't know not to do it. Didn't get 3 points, just a fine in the post a couple of weeks later.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I got done a few years ago for turning right when there was a sign (small, didn't see) saying not to in the Elephant and Castle area.

Got a fine only from LBC as an ANPR camera is apparently fitted there just to catch people like me who didn't know not to do it. Didn't get 3 points, just a fine in the post a couple of weeks later.

Super - that's what I shall tell her is most likely. Thanks.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Anyone been through it?
Surprised they weren’t in the Macdonalds drive in.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
…and only in the U.S.A.

Just looked, it's called "right to silence" here. Always thought they were Miranda rights but no.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Under provisions of the 2 new bills that have gone through Parliament recently,the Police act and the Nationality and Borders bill they will be round to deport her Christmas morning.

No appeal.

Happy Christmas.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Under provisions of the 2 new bills that have gone through Parliament recently,the Police act and the Nationality and Borders bill they will be round to deport her Christmas morning.

No appeal.

Happy Christmas.

This post wouldn't look out of place had the good lady Bodian been riding a bicycle :whistle:

#HangingsTooGoodFor'Em.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here