Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Premier League policies for request to postpone games & season curtailment?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Have the PL actually come out with any policies around this yet?

I understand it is a complex and ever-moving picture, but it would be good if supporters could have some clarity around the broad circumstances under which clubs are able to request a postponement owing to covid-enforced squad depletion or an inability for teams to train etc. Of course, the health of players and staff must come first, but the granting or not granting of postponements has the potential to massively distort the league table at the end of the season, depending respective squad depths / quality

Also, have the PL published plans on what would happen if the season had to be suspended and outstanding fixtures couldn't be completed in time? First time around (March 2020) it was perhaps understandable that they didn't have a contingency (ie: award average PPG or whatever) and fortunately Project Restart got them out of a potentially awkward hole. But surely there can be no excuses this time around for not having a plan in place if a season cannot be completed for whatever reason.

Apologies if this has been announced and is in the public domain; if it is I have missed it.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I believe they have requested help from the FIA for forming new rules

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have the PL actually come out with any policies around this yet?

I understand it is a complex and ever-moving picture, but it would be good if supporters could have some clarity around the broad circumstances under which clubs are able to request a postponement owing to covid-enforced squad depletion or an inability for teams to train etc. Of course, the health of players and staff must come first, but the granting or not granting of postponements has the potential to massively distort the league table at the end of the season, depending respective squad depths / quality

Also, have the PL published plans on what would happen if the season had to be suspended and outstanding fixtures couldn't be completed in time? First time around (March 2020) it was perhaps understandable that they didn't have a contingency (ie: award average PPG or whatever) and fortunately Project Restart got them out of a potentially awkward hole. But surely there can be no excuses this time around for not having a plan in place if a season cannot be completed for whatever reason.

Apologies if this has been announced and is in the public domain; if it is I have missed it.

No.

I was exercised about this when Spuds managed to get their game with us postponed on the basis of having 11 of the 50 plus players available to them claiming they had a bit of a cold, while no such courtesy was given to us, hemimated (that's reduced by half, as opposed to decimated which means you can google that if needs be, but in your case I'm sure there are none) by raging Covid.

I feel like I have entered the twilight zone by tripping on a rug on the way to the Twiglet zone (the snack tin).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Nothing has been announced. The PL (and EPL?) have more flexibility built in than the European Leagues so there's less in-built clarity.
42 PL players have already been announced today as contracting Covid within the last week or so. Omicron is doubling at the rate of every two days. Spurs, Villa, United and Brighton already indicated a number of cases.
Suspect that something will have to give sooner rather than later.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Basically the PL board discuss it and come up with the solution. Nothing published at start of season though they must have various contingency plans drawn up ready (and if they haven't they're damned foolish for an organisation with such a big turnover).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sorry .... you're asking if the PL has made clear and reasonable contingency plans, and has set out clearly what will happen in certain circumstances?

No, sorry - still don't understand the question ................................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
They’ll let Manure and Spuds decide on a short term basis, little old BHAFC can fck off.

They’ve made a song n dance about upping the ante to Warp Stage more training ground testing.

Does that help if Omicron’s far more contagious? When players move freely between family/kids and the club.

I remember Thomas Muller explaining the brilliant Bundesliga solution in spring/early summer 2020, when a far less contagious variant was at large. The staff and squads truly isolated together.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Coin flip on postponements currently. They have to work something out and I think they will.

As for cancellation of the season there is no plan.

£7bn+ added to UKs GDP, £3bn+ just in taxes, 100 000 people risking to lose their job if it collapses... it doesnt need a plan, it is too big to fail. Even if there was 10k ICU cases in the hospitals, I'm pretty sure the show would go on.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Are you a top six club? yes, Do you want to play this game? no, game off

Are you a top six club? no, Do you want to play this game? no, tough - you're playing it.

Without wanting to appear too cynical, the absence of transparency on this matter from the PL does make it feel a bit like this.

Spurs got their game against us last Sunday postponed as they had ? number of first team players unavailable. I have no idea if we have requested to have our game vs Wolves on Wednesday postponed, but if it goes ahead there is every likelihood that we will have field a number of u23 rookies. Obviously, not all our missing players are covid-related, but covid is significantly impacting our ability to name anything like the match day squad we would have otherwise.

I don't have an issue if every club is treated the same but without knowing what the thresholds are, it is impossible to tell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here