Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020

Russian band wrote a song criticising Russia and the ongoing war.

Likelihood is if they return to Russia now they'd get 7 years in jail, showing that the name of the song is quite accurate.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The Soviet army which fought back the all conquering Germans from the gates of Moscow and Stalingrad, and than preceded to march relentlessly towards Berlin are seemingly struggling to hold onto a few strips of land in the former part of their territory.
The world changes very quickly. Putin didn't think so.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Soviet army which fought back the all conquering Germans from the gates of Moscow and Stalingrad, and than preceded to march relentlessly towards Berlin are seemingly struggling to hold onto a few strips of land in the former part of their territory.

That's the difference. The first was Russians waging an existential war in WW2 for the very survival of their nation. The second is also an existential war, but this time being fought - and won - by Ukrainians fighting for their freedom, against Russia, who is now the invader, led by Putin who believes Ukraine should not exist. Even with that great historical victory, Putin has made a catastrophic miscalculation. The result is now that the talk is not of regime change in Kyiv. It is of regime change in Moscow.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Point of order: it's not the Soviet Army. That was the army of the USSR and included Ukrainians, and people from all the other states that appeared when the USSR broke up. Of course if the USSR hadn't broken up we wouldn't be now having this war as they'd all still be the same country (like Britain with England and Scotland), but that's an argument for another thread.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Point of order: it's not the Soviet Army. That was the army of the USSR and included Ukrainians, and people from all the other states that appeared when the USSR broke up. Of course if the USSR hadn't broken up we wouldn't be now having this war as they'd all still be the same country (like Britain with England and Scotland), but that's an argument for another thread.

In WW2 the Ukraine would in all likelihood sided with the Germans had they gone in as liberators. Stalin brutally oppressed the people. Some historians say that the savage invasion of Ukraine was one of Hitlers many mistakes during the war.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Russia attempted a Blitzkrieg and a quick knockout of Kyiv, and failed. Russia is is no real position for a war of attrition, much as the Germans weren’t and once they’d failed to capture Russia it was just a case of time.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I really would like to believe all of that, but I can’t help to be worried ( as per other previous posts) about pushing Putin into a corner. I think Putin needs a quick win because, if he doesn’t, he will face increasing internal pressure from the impact of sanctions and the increasing military death toll that he will find increasingly difficult to hide, explain and justify.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
I really would like to believe all of that, but I can’t help to be worried ( as per other previous posts) about pushing Putin into a corner. I think Putin needs a quick win because, if he doesn’t, he will face increasing internal pressure from the impact of sanctions and the increasing military death toll that he will find increasingly difficult to hide, explain and justify.

He's already missed his quick win. This special military operation was only supposed to last three days.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
No, he needs a bad defeat so he'll slink back under his rock and not trouble the World again. A defeat so bad his army is crippled for 20 years.

Any sort of win and he comes back in 5 years for more.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[Tweet]1559611194058719233[/Tweet]

Best use it before it blows.

Reports of huge jams getting across it. Wouldn’t put it past Putin to be trying to use them as a human shield to stop the Ukrainians taking that bridge out while he uses it to resupply his forces in the south.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Time for that has gone.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

A very good point and also outlines how Putin was able to attract support from Chechen rebels although there was obviously $$$$ involved as well.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
A very good point and also outlines how Putin was able to attract support from Chechen rebels although there was obviously $$$$ involved as well.

The Chechens fighting for Putin are not rebels, Russia won that war and has the support of various factions in that country . The Chechens fighting for Ukraine are the rebels.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here