Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Christmas Market/Festival

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For the first time in a while Brighton has gone in big time with a Christmas Market & Fun Fair & Entertainment Tent.
As someone who enjoys a good Xmas Market I was looking forward to this one. Also, as a local trader, I was offered a small stall at a discount price of £7000 for 30 days trading (electric and water extra).
I knew at that price there was no way they would get the expected 150 units filled as promised. I spoke with the organisers and, without wishing to tell them what to do, said that this could be the biggest and best in the south. Large area (Valley Gardens) with the church at the end and lots of scope for plenty of stalls. But they really needed to splash the cash and start off on day one with the promised big wow factor. All the trees lit up throughout the gardens, lots of stalls all lit up with colourful garlands and lights and a Christmas atmosphere throughout the area.
Instead we've got a handful of stalls with a few white lights and the usual rip off prices. Where is the investment in the area with colour and lights? No. Instead we're told it's the 5th best market in the land based on a web site who never visited the market and based their opinion on what was promised.
Yes, it may be very busy right now but of those that go, how many will return again this year and how many will make the trip in 2022? My guess is very few. An opportunity lost by someone who should have invested rather than take the profit.

If you've been, thoughts please.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
For the first time in a while Brighton has gone in big time with a Christmas Market & Fun Fair & Entertainment Tent.
As someone who enjoys a good Xmas Market I was looking forward to this one. Also, as a local trader, I was offered a small stall at a discount price of £7000 for 30 days trading (electric and water extra).
I knew at that price there was no way they would get the expected 150 units filled as promised. I spoke with the organisers and, without wishing to tell them what to do, said that this could be the biggest and best in the south. Large area (Valley Gardens) with the church at the end and lots of scope for plenty of stalls. But they really needed to splash the cash and start off on day one with the promised big wow factor. All the trees lit up throughout the gardens, lots of stalls all lit up with colourful garlands and lights and a Christmas atmosphere throughout the area.
Instead we've got a handful of stalls with a few white lights and the usual rip off prices. Where is the investment in the area with colour and lights? No. Instead we're told it's the 5th best market in the land based on a web site who never visited the market and based their opinion on what was promised.
Yes, it may be very busy right now but of those that go, how many will return again this year and how many will make the trip in 2022? My guess is very few. An opportunity lost by someone who should have invested rather than take the profit.

If you've been, thoughts please.

I love a Christmas Market, but I suspected Brighton would get it wrong and I'm too scared of the one way system and buses to visit. Shame, sounds like a missed opportunity.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Why does this city (town) always shoot itself in the foot?

Clue - the Council is the common denominator

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I went on Thursday with my wife, we were in and out within 20 minutes and that includes sitting and having a Bratwurst. Very limited number of stalls and I must say that Winchester, York and Hyde park were much better experiences in the past.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
typical Brighton,

Thinks coz it is Brighton everyone will think it’s just so ‘cool’ even if it’s a pile of old shite.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Went last weekend, a bit meh but it is the first one, hopfully it'll be better next year, got some nice cheese and a decoration of the pavilion, I won't say how much it cost! [emoji15] 20211204_185532.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The Birmingham one is brilliant. Who doesn't appreciate a double pinter and large curry wurst on the other side of the road to people giving away the Qu'ran and within earshot of a couple of churchy blokes giving it MASSIVE on the steel pan whilst trying to translate what Villa fans are saying to each other?

Multi culturalism at its finest :moo:

(I haven't been to the Brighton one, but, honestly, the Brum one is one of my favourite things in the world and would be pretty hard to compete with).

Gluhwein anyone?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I've been to arguably the best Christmas markets in the world in Berlin and in Dusseldorf and even after about twenty mins they are boring. Stall after stall of the same stuff. Drank some gluhhweine, watched the Dirdle ladies in the band for a while and ****ed off to a decent pub and curry wurst stall . They look nice but its just too busy, you spend all your time shuffling along looking at the back of someone's head and all the stalls are too similar. I just can't see Brighton getting this right. I think it will be shat. I'm in.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Sounds horrendous to me, what can you buy at a Christmas Market that you can't buy online?

There is a pandemic on, stay at home unless absolutely necessary.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
typical Brighton,

Thinks coz it is Brighton everyone will think it’s just so ‘cool’ even if it’s a pile of old shite.
I love my Town or a City as it is now but agreed it is a shit hole. The council responsible for taking care of the refuse and building regulations and pretty much anything have a lot to answer for. They just seem to be interested in putting in cycle lanes.
I hated Thatcher time when there were derelict houses in Hanover at least the town looked tidy.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sounds horrendous to me, what can you buy at a Christmas Market that you can't buy online?

There is a pandemic on, stay at home unless absolutely necessary.

An experience, a day out, a change of scenery, not looking at the same four walls day after day? Friends, laughter? I really fear for the human race with the ‘buy everything online’ attitude beginning to take over.

As for the pandemic…..it is over two years since this began, how long do you want to be locked up? Five years, 10 years? This virus is here for good, it ain’t gonna be wiped out. Yes I understand there are some people more vulnerable than others, but that is the same with many medical conditions, and I perhaps fell into this category for a period in the not too distant past. We should all take preventative measures that we feel comfortable with, I am hoping to get my booster in the next couple of weeks, but we should not force others to curtail their freedoms indefinitely to fall in line with our opinions.

From the most locked down city in the world.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Brighton Council to blame

Went to the Southampton one last week after the game. Great atmosphere. There have been many complaints from residents near to the Brighton one because of music blaring out until 11pm. The council have probably benefited from the Bus Gates fines as people try to get out of town around the market. Used to love Brighton but this council know it all and agree with OP pure greed and naivety from the Greens that is killing this city.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Went to the Southampton one last week after the game. Great atmosphere. There have been many complaints from residents near to the Brighton one because of music blaring out until 11pm. The council have probably benefited from the Bus Gates fines as people try to get out of town around the market. Used to love Brighton but this council know it all and agree with OP pure greed and naivety from the Greens that is killing this city.

Well, at least they've got a naivety. You'd have thought the loony left council would have gone for a Winterval Celebration and banned them. I'm in.

GYA_11-e1617124264690.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Well, at least they've got a naivety. You'd have thought the loony left council would have gone for a Winterval Celebration and banned them. I'm in.

GYA_11-e1617124264690.jpg

This. You wish someone Merry Christmas these days and they’ll throw you in jail.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Don't really get into the spirit of Christmas, you know, markets and singing and mulled wine. It's got nothing to do with politics, it's just the nature of the beast what with our great city being a magnet for the 'alternative' way of life. Apparently, this 'alternative' costs a bloody fortune and prices can be four times the price of tat you can buy on line.
People have to make a killing....er, I mean living, but come on.
Our great city also attracts it's greater share of pick pockets. This may be a dickensian tribute for the time of year....or was that a different play?
Finding it all a bit meh at the moment. No it's not the fact I'm unable to find three wise men or a virgin, or even a premier inn with a stable. It's just the general expectancy of being nice to people I generally would scowl at.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This. You wish someone Merry Christmas these days and they’ll throw you in jail.

Dude, your heading down a one way track too, bear pit town, with a comment like that….

Das is rubbing his hands as we speak, and will be throwing his net very soon, hoping to drag you in….

All aboard the train, to jingoistic town…. Toot Toot

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here