Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New Bedside Clock Radio

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
My old clock radio has finally given up so I’m looking to replace it with an Amazon Echo. There seem to be several Echo models/specs to choose from but I just need something that tells the time, will wake me up and plays streamed music and/or access to various radio stations.
If any of you good folk are familiar with the Echo range I would appreciate any helpful advice.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've got an Echo Dot with digital time showing on it. It does all what you've said you wanted. That's exactly what I use mine for. I love it!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've got an Echo Dot with digital time showing on it. It does all what you've said you wanted. That's exactly what I use mine for. I love it!

I was looking at this one yesterday evening, it came up straight away when searching for Echo Dot, hopefully I’m getting one for Christmas :)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Won't you get bombarded with adverts for improving your performance in that particular room if you install a smart speaker in there? :)

Having been a minor victim of Storm Arwen, you actually need a device that runs on batteries. Unless these do of course.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

/thread

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I cannot set the right time on my bedside clock so it’s 1hr and 40mins fast. When I wake I have to do the mental calculations each time. I’m thinking of getting something new. Maybe.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unfortunately you're timing is a bit off as all the Amazon devices were reduced for a while recently.

However, this will do the job just fine (we have a couple) and it's remarkable what this £18 gadget will do: https://amzn.to/3ELNcW5

If you're feeling flush, and would like a visible clock to reference too (to save you saying "Alexa what is the time?") then this is slightly improved all-round: https://amzn.to/3Gr5s7M

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Wakes you up, sings a little song, very reliable...

download.jpg

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I have an echo show as an alarm clock. Works really well with a nice largeprint digital readout for those of us that can't see so well nowadays

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Won't you get bombarded with adverts for improving your performance in that particular room if you install a smart speaker in there? :)

Having been a minor victim of Storm Arwen, you actually need a device that runs on batteries. Unless these do of course.

Try googling "bedroom device that runs on batteries". That should do the trick.

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014

Can the Echo be instructed to play for, say, 30 minutes then switch itself off?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Can the Echo be instructed to play for, say, 30 minutes then switch itself off?
I've just asked my Echo Dot to play Radio 2. As soon as it started to play, I said "Alexa - turn radio off in one minute." After exactly a minute, it turned off.
Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is "Yes".

FindonFan

Jul 15, 2014
I've just asked my Echo Dot to play Radio 2. As soon as it started to play, I said "Alexa - turn radio off in one minute." After exactly a minute, it turned off.
Therefore, I believe the answer to your question is "Yes".

Ha ha, that’s great JS. Thanks for your input, that’s my Christmas present sorted.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Alexa …. Echo is an emotive subject with some hating the idea but others , like me loving it. I have a newish ball shaped Echo Dot that shows the time constantly. She can give verbal tailored reminders or alarm calls , play radio and a host of other stuff.
It is life changing and I wonder how I coped before Alexa was born.
NB I have seen one with a screen showing a clock face but I was told the screen keeps changing to something else so it was not a useable clock.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here