Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] IF there's a Christmas lockdown - would you comply?

Would you comply with a Christmas 2021 lockdown?

• yes, I'd comply.

Votes: 179 57.2%
  • no, I would not comply.

Votes: 134 42.8%

• Total voters

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
So, as we have seen before, the rumours and rhetoric around the possibility, and rights and wrongs, of a Christmas lockdown driven by Omicron is looming large on the horizon.

So, if it happens and you have made plans to see family/parents/loved ones this year - would you comply? or would you think to hell with it, not this time?

Personally, with both of my in-laws well into their 80's, i'd not comply. It could be their last (who knows). I think my wife would be broken were the family gathering at ours not to happen. The in-laws have already said they are coming come what may. For 18 months they have hardly left their house, and it's breaking them in so may ways.

Plenty of opportunity to argue the rights and wrong of either on the covid thread BTW, this is just to gauge the opinions of NSC'ers on this one question.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I’d see family at Christmas.

We are all vaccinated and aware of potential risks.

I think if we went into lockdown again there is a real danger of unrest, doubtful as bad as in some European countries.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
In my current circumstances, yes.

But if it was looking likely to be a relative's last Christmas then party boy Johnson could basically go swivel.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
No. We are all tripled jabbed and it would be a small gathering. I would and have abided with all other restrictions but not seeing the people I already see on a regular basis? Did it last year but not this.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
To look after elderly relatives, now we are tripled jabbed yes.

I'm doing that 1/2 days a week any way and if push came to shove I'd simply employ the best legal advice to ensure I continue to do.

I won't be visiting any pubs, restaurants whatever happens.

In fact I'll be doing exactly what this current regime and the MET are failing to do. Think about my actions in terms of others.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
whats the end goal here though? COVID isn't going away, we can't keep going back into lockdown every time a new variant appears. that's simply unfeasible.

Starting to feel a bit the same.

We’re double jabbed, soon to be tripled.

We’ve complied with every lockdown.

Wear masks everywhere.

Have done everything we’ve been asked to do, and are beginning to wonder who or what we’d now be protecting by yet another lockdown, should it happen.

I get the point about not overwhelming the NHS, but - to be honest - that alarm bell has been rung numerous times in the past, and it never really happened.

If people are now just getting mild symptoms, and deaths aren’t surging, then the cynic in me starts to wonder if the only real ‘at risk’ group now is the unvaccinated.

In which case, fvck ‘em.

Apart from the small segment who medically can’t have the vaccine - whom I do care about and wish to continue protecting - those who are choosing not to take it pretty much deserve to face any consequences now. Their choice, so why should others do any more for them now.

Meanwhile life has to start going back to normal. Maybe slowly, but I’m not sure there’s widespread willingness for things to go backwards yet again.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There shouldn’t be one. Full stop.

Not this time around, in a largely vax’d and now increasingly ‘boostered’ population.

There were scientific findings published earlier this week, need some digging to find, that the transmission from Xmas family/friends mixing, is substantially less than from the vast amount of time spent in pubs/restaurants/shops/trains/buses.

The only people I know who really got Covid (confirmed from being tested, not hypochondriacs), at different times over the last 20 months, in every case got them from packed restaurants, other than some lads who caught Covid from a rammed pub in Leicester Square during an England Euro’s game. [NHS track n trace].

Mixing of parties of complete strangers, in large numbers, each time.

Just a personal view. We’ll likely have an Xmas of just us anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
without knowing what the terms of lockdown would be how can we say? people have different lines. generally the "we'll not comply" crowd are the sort that wont follow rules anyway, most people will follow sensible rules if they are asked to. people are not going to put themselves and family at risk just to put one over government, whatever they say.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting results on this. Seems we are becoming increasingly split on following the guidelines, is this a form of increasing apathy or a direct result of the recent Downing st partying I wonder ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
whats the end goal here though? COVID isn't going away, we can't keep going back into lockdown every time a new variant appears. that's simply unfeasible.

You can if its a new variant that looks like it may not be dealt with by the vaccines we have already had, it's bad timing but until it is known what this variant is all about then it makes sense
It is already spreading very quickly and looks like being dominant very soon.
I, along with Mrs Chopper and Miss Chipper are due to visit my Dad in his Sussex care home on 20th, he is 91 and has Parkinsons, this could be his last Christmas and there is a 50/50 chance that I may not be able to go even with a flow test.
If I can't, so be it, if it is the safest thing for him and the other residents.
I will go as soon as the care home says its safe to do so.
People who ignore Covid to suit there own agenda are dangerous, selfish and ignorant.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting results on this. Seems we are becoming increasingly split on following the guidelines, is this a form of increasing apathy or a direct result of the recent Downing st partying I wonder ?

Maybe the Cabinet have joined NSC :shrug:

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Wouldn't comply. The people I will be spending Christmas with are my household and 2 people who I provide care/support for. With transport etc over Christmas if they weren't here they would have noone. I guess as they are in my bubble I wouldn't really be breaking any rules though

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
No. I will see family. We are all triple jabbed and take precautions when out unlike a lot of dickheads walking around the shops today with no masks.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
You can if its a new variant that looks like it may not be dealt with by the vaccines we have already had, it's bad timing but until it is known what this variant is all about then it makes sense
It is already spreading very quickly and looks like being dominant very soon.
I, along with Mrs Chopper and Miss Chipper are due to visit my Dad in his Sussex care home on 20th, he is 91 and has Parkinsons, this could be his last Christmas and there is a 50/50 chance that I may not be able to go even with a flow test.
If I can't, so be it, if it is the safest thing for him and the other residents.
I will go as soon as the care home says its safe to do so.
People who ignore Covid to suit there own agenda are dangerous, selfish and ignorant.

firstly, absolutely none of that has been confirmed by of the research yet and currently it is generally expected that the vaccines will deal with Omicron. Regardless, you cannot keep shutting down the economy every six months and yet simultaneously insit that people need boosters every six months and dangle a return to normality as an incentive to get people jabbed. that just won't work.

and what you've described with regards to your father is simply precautions. not visiting 91 year old people in care homes is quite a long way from what we've generally seen in lockdowns before, with all non-essential stuff closed, large events banned and even limits on how often you can leave your home. I'm all for sensible precautions being taken but a return to the purgatory of lockdown is becoming increasingly hard to justify, imo.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My guess is:

- 90% willing to get vaccinated.
- 75% willing to wear masks in shops, on trains and buses.
- But a majority have lockdowns fatigue.

Of course you’ll get the mask-refusing thug in a supermarket or on the London tube (with the thousand yard stare and hoping to catch the eye of a disapproving mask wearer to start a fight) who’ll say in a TV interview “Well, politicians and celebs ain’t doin it, like”.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I’d see family at Christmas.

We are all vaccinated and aware of potential risks.

I think if we went into lockdown again there is a real danger of unrest, doubtful as bad as in some European countries.

I could see unrest too considering Christmas party-gate, plus the fact that if we manage to go from full capacity clubs/bars/football stadiums etc to not even being allowed to see family in the space of two weeks then the government has ****ed up hugely.

To answer the question, yes I would see family. What's the point in being double/triple jabbed otherwise.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Starting to feel a bit the same.

We’re double jabbed, soon to be tripled.

We’ve complied with every lockdown.

Wear masks everywhere.

Have done everything we’ve been asked to do, and are beginning to wonder who or what we’d now be protecting by yet another lockdown, should it happen.

I get the point about not overwhelming the NHS, but - to be honest - that alarm bell has been rung numerous times in the past, and it never really happened.

If people are now just getting mild symptoms, and deaths aren’t surging, then the cynic in me starts to wonder if the only real ‘at risk’ group now is the unvaccinated.

In which case, fvck ‘em

Apart from the small segment who medically can’t have the vaccine - whom I do care about and wish to continue protecting - those who are choosing not to take it pretty much deserve to face any consequences now. Their choice, so why should others do any more for them now.

Meanwhile life has to start going back to normal. Maybe slowly, but I’m not sure there’s widespread willingness for things to go backwards yet again.

This.

I voted yes but I don't mind being unsociable. That said my son will be over for Christmas, come what may. I'm triple jabbed and the family are double jabbed.

It doesn't make sense for HMG to have been so laissez faire about travel and vaccinations and masks for so long, then lurch into a lock down without any intervening period of enforcing simple safety measures.

There was one entitled **** in the farm shop this afternoon. Young. Acting against the wishes of the shop, but perfectly legally. It is legal to take no Covid test, go out when feeling unwell without a mask, and not socially distance. Legal. You only need one **** in 100 to do this to keep the pandemic on the boil.

So a lockdown makes no sense, which is exactly why I expect this shit shower to bring one in. But it will be 'voluntary' and contradictory and will simply frighten the vulnerable. Again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here