Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] European Competitions

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Does anybody else think these are a farce. Maybe apart from champions league. I see Celtic were knocked out of champions league,then put in Europa and as they have been knocked out of that are now going to be in third competition. Surely should be if you out you are out

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I lost a lot of interest in the concept once champions league was introduced. A champions league which is replete with non-champions? The watering down of the other competitions is farcical. It is all about maximisation of the $$$. In the movie The Incredibles, the lead character said 'we are forever finding new ways to celebrate mediocrity'. Pretty much sums it up for me.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
West Ham were already through. With hectic Christmas schedule they fielded a reserve side. Do clubs really fight all year to get in Europe and than play meaningless games. You cant beat knockout but suppose that doesn't bring in the money

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
It will be ****ing hilarious to see Celtic fail miserably in 3 different European competitions in one season though.

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
It's almost as tedious as international football. However, if Brighton Women make the Champions League I fancy taking the family on a jolly to Vienna, Prague, Barcelona etc to watch.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Leicester were knocked out of the Europa League and drop into the Europa Conference. Manager Brendon Rodgers said "I've got to be honest I don't even know what the competition is".

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
West Ham were already through. With hectic Christmas schedule they fielded a reserve side. Do clubs really fight all year to get in Europe and than play meaningless games. You cant beat knockout but suppose that doesn't bring in the money

And I was stupid enough to put money on them in a treble last night. :facepalm:

My heart sank when I saw the team line-up. I'd never heard of any of their defence.

Thank God there's no more European football now until mid-February.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Leicester were knocked out of the Europa League and drop into the Europa Conference. Manager Brendon Rodgers said "I've got to be honest I don't even know what the competition is".

It just seems like a deliberate ploy to undermine domestic top tiers to the point where they get phased out completely, and everyone's playing in some mediocre european league or other

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here