Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why is it insulting to be called ladies

arfer guinness

Feb 15, 2007
According to the paper today Charlton Women are to be rebranded as Charlton Ladies, in a shock decision that their players have labelled "insulting" Does anyone know why it is now insulting to be referred to as ladies, this term always used to be a polite reference. As an aside, I don't know why all teams in the Women's Super League have to be called women or ladies after their club name. Isn't there a clue in the title Women's that tells you what sex they are.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I guess de-Pfeffel has finally run out of distraction news.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Some twerp has probably taken offence at the term Women's because they associate it with a bog in a boozer, I mean we don't use the term Gentlemen's football so I guess it could be possible that one person on the planet has had their feelings hurt and no doubt their civil liberties interfered with.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
According to the paper today Charlton Women are to be rebranded as Charlton Ladies, in a shock decision that their players have labelled "insulting" Does anyone know why it is now insulting to be referred to as ladies, this term always used to be a polite reference. As an aside, I don't know why all teams in the Women's Super League have to be called women or ladies after their club name. Isn't there a clue in the title Women's that tells you what sex they are.

I don’t see why it’s insulting, but ‘Charlton Gentlemen‘ would seem a bit odd!

Women’s teams should just adopt the ‘WFC’ suffix.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
More woke bollocks. Just asked my wife if she has an issue with the term ladies and she said no, of course not. That is good enough for me

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Steyning Town were Ladies - and the League offered an opportunity to change names. The players and management team decided they preferred Women. And so they are now called that. It all seemed quite straight forward.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What a load of drivel -paranoid ramblings
Quite probably, but a better place to find the answer to the OPs question than a male dominated football forum.

Although to be fair the best place to find the answer would the the Charlton women's team members. Maybe they have some good reasons to not like the term.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don’t see why it’s insulting, but ‘Charlton Gentlemen‘ would seem a bit odd!

Women’s teams should just adopt the ‘WFC’ suffix.

Yes, but it's not very ladylike, is it?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I don't know. You could read the opinion of someone who doesn't like it.

Here are the thoughts of such a person.

https://helloclue.com/articles/culture/lets-talk-about-word-lady

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk
Most of her arguments would apply equally to the word women. She is basically opposed to any form of words that suggests men and women aren't the same.

She starts off with a pretty stupid question - "Do you hear groups of boys and men being referred to as gentlemen as often as you hear girls and women being called ladies? Not in my experience." Perhaps she doesn't realise, that, being a woman herself, she is less likely to hear people being addressed as "gentleman" than she is to hear people being addressed as "ladies". If you are literally never, by definition, part of a group of men and boys, then you are less likely to hear how a group of men and boys is addressed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here