Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Last year I was round an older friend's house who was clearly unwell. I called an ambulance and had him taken to hospital.

I wasn't able to visit. The last time I saw him was when he went into the ambulance. He died not long after.

His close family, older folk, were advised not to come down for the funeral due to being vulnerable. There were only a handful of us present.

At the start of it all, I remember a kid being buried with virtually no-one there because of restrictions. It was heartbreaking.

These ***** are laughing at us all. And folk should not stand for it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read today that there is a statute in common law that makes crown lands exempt (a pretty big hole there).

Regulations would only have applied to Number 10 if there was a s.73(2) agreement between the owner of Number 10 (Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government) and Westminster City Council to apply the regulations.

So, it might be that all of their stupid 'no rules were broken' is technically and legally correct. Imagine the absolute front of the twats if that is what it turns out to be.

Lawyer on Newsnight saying it could be easily challenged on the basis that any exception only applies to the "property" and not individuals within it.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Again, sentient human beings actually voted for these awful awful people. Hang your heads in shame and at least have the balls to admit you made a mistake.

Even as a bit of a leftie I would say that is unfair, normally. But not this time. Particularly the get Brexit done mob. Voting in a bunch of clowns with some vapid slogans, flags and funny haircuts. It's telling that so many older conservatives have criticised this lot. Trumpian in the way they conduct 'business', as are their supporters.

Last edited:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
It'll be interesting if this is finally what does for him. We've had:lying to the Queen, Dominic Cummings and Barnard Castle, the refurbishment of number 10, the holidays and whoever has been paying for them, being diplomatically atrocious and a liability internationally, the PPE scandal enriching his mates, the regular poor decisions about lockdowns, more u-turns than any other government in memory, Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, school dinners, B*exit not delivering what he promised...but I think that might be why he survives this too...it's been relentless failure and flagrant dishonesty throughout - he'd already resigned from two jobs for lying before he was even made PM - and nothing has stuck yet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Doesn't appear to be much evidence it was anything to do with him, but it's incredibly damaging.

Cummings also saying journalists were there. He obviously wasn't there - but knows people who were.
It is a real strange party, it seems everyone connected to the Tory party knows that the rules were followed exactly despite not going or being invited?

It's Shrodingers Party! It must have been crap though because no one wants to admit being there.

If the party did take place " All rules were followed " but, by taking place it broke the rules by its very existence.... PMQ's could be a good un today.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Blimey even Guido Fawkes putting the boot in with a vid of Moggy now

https://twitter.com/MarinaPurkiss/status/1468304337097142274

Meanwhile no minister is available this morning for Today Programme on R4, Saj was supposed to be on but has gone to ground....
Usually they wheel out Grant Shapps when no one else is prepared to defend the indefensible.

It's his payment for his career comeback after scandal.

Even he is not available ? He must have actually been at the party I suppose.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Boris is a bonafide perpetual liar, with absolutely no morals. He's got to the top like a tortoise on a post and will not fall off, he will have to be burned hacked and dragged away.

If you voted for him and anything he stands for you deserve everything you get. It will no doubt be getting worse.

This country needs radical political reform and until we suffer more the apathetic lazy idiotic populous will not bother doing anything about it.

It's barely even about party politics jut about abuse of power, taking the piss out of ordinary people and being morally bankrupt.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is a real strange party, it seems everyone connected to the Tory party knows that the rules were followed exactly despite not going or being invited?

It's Shrodingers Party! It must have been crap though because no one wants to admit being there.

If the party did take place " All rules were followed " but, by taking place it broke the rules by its very existence.... PMQ's could be a good un today.

Parties. Plural.

As for the police not investigating, they were the bouncers, for heaven’s sake.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I don't vote Tory, but I'm not 'anti' Tory. They have some good MPs.

But, crikey, how anyone can defend this bunch. They are really taking the piss.

It's what happens when a government has an unchallenged majority.

I agree with your sentiments but would not be at all surprised if other political parties have skeletons in cupboards.
It's just that nobody is looking for them at the moment.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Parties. Plural.

Tbh we could find out an awful lot of things if the police were honest brokers in mainstream life. As you say, police WERE there! Equally they could sink Prince Andrew's defence of being in a Pizzeria instead of being with a 17 year old girl. I'm pretty sure there are logs/ reports from every Royal Protection Officer when on duty?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dear Boris,

I'll look after you as long as you sort Ofcom. I want Foxnews UK

Love

Rupe x

Capture.PNG

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Boris is a bonafide perpetual liar, with absolutely no morals. He's got to the top like a tortoise on a post and will not fall off, he will have to be burned hacked and dragged away.

If you voted for him and anything he stands for you deserve everything you get. It will no doubt be getting worse.

This country needs radical political reform and until we suffer more the apathetic lazy idiotic populous will not bother doing anything about it.

It's barely even about party politics jut about abuse of power, taking the piss out of ordinary people and being morally bankrupt.

As others have said - they are laughing at us. We, the little people, who didn't go to Eton, didn't have a privileged upbringing, pay our taxes, do a decent day's work, etc, etc. Boris Johnson and his acolytes could not give a f*ck about us - and that includes the poor, misguided "red wall" voters who enabled this corrupt government to come to power. [In fact, they will no doubt suffer most ("levelling up" is just political rhetoric which yet again the majority seem to have swallowed).]

Why the hell should anyone in the country follow the rules, pay their taxes, etc? Our so-called leaders just do what the hell they want. So why can't the rest of us? [ps: luckily the vast majority of the population are normal, decent, and law-abiding, otherwise if we followed our leaders' example there'd be anarchy]

Jimmy Grimble

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My dad died just over 12 months ago.

On December 1st last year, my mum, my sisters and I held his funeral service with just a handful of other people, all sat apart and following what the government told us we must do, even though it broke our hearts to do so. And then afterwards, rather than holding the wake my dad had saved for and requested, we all got in our cars and went our separate ways. No gathering to remember him and celebrate his life. No chance in the immediate aftermath to share a laugh about the good times or to mourn our loss. No opportunity to support my mum and start the process of moving on as a family. For me, just a lonely, surreal, 200 mile drive home, trying to make sense of what had just happened.

Now my dad wasn't anyone special - other than to us as family - but to us he was everything. And at 86 years old, he deserved so much more than that and it was hard not to feel I'll failed him. I still do. But like thousands of other families we had no choice and the only small consolation was the belief that we were doing the right thing.

So then I turn on the news tonight and see the PMs spokesperson laughing and giggling as she rehearses how to field potential questions about a Downing Street Christmas party last December. So in the light of all that, it is hard to put into words the level of contempt I feel for Boris Johnson and all in his administration who mock us at every turn and then seek to cover it up because they have been found out. For what difference it is likely to make (probably none), I shall be letting my MP know exactly how I feel and that I will be doing anything I can to support her political opponents at the next election if Johnson is still the PM.

A couple of years before Covid, I sat with my mum and watched her die, that was my privilege, at the moment I think about it every day, the thought of not being able to do so tortures me and the consideration of the thousands who have not been able to do that over the last 18 months is heartbreaking. We had a normal (great) party where was I able to connect with long lost (and poorly recognised!) friends and family, that was beautiful. That this process was denied to you and many others is hard to contemplate.

Your drive home is so touching, I drove home the next day with my other half reflecting on the previous afternoon and evening and the people we'd talk to. It was entirely personally emotional for me but also entirely normal, part of the process. That you didn't have that closure, as they say, must be so much more difficult deal with. I hope you've managed to get your ducks in a row and I also hope that 1 person reads you post and thinks that they might not vote for the bstards next time.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Parties. Plural.

And I'd suggest the Met Police aren't keen to rattle the governments cage at the moment - especially Ms Dicks.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Absolute scum, all of them. Are there any decent politicians?

This ‘they are all the same’ argument does not wash.

There are 650 MPs in Parliament. I’d wager you that at least 500 of them are very decent people doing the job for the right reasons, whichever political party they are a member of.

However, because of Brexit, the absolute scum was able to take over the Conservative party.

All this sleaze, mismanagement and unprofessionalism isn’t a Tory thing, it’s a Boris Johnson thing. He is a disgusting human being and has surrounded himself with a set of similar self serving scum. He still thinks he has the golden touch at the ballot box with his golden tongue and all his bullshit, let’s see.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suspect this will all have been forgotten in a few weeks. I feel for Bri Nylon, Thunderbolt and the thousands of other people who lost family members during the lockdown and weren't permitted to see them in the final moments. But they represent what? 200,000 people? 400,000? That's not one percent of the electorate. Among the other 99% there'll be people who are very angry (but they probably wouldn't have voted Tory anyway) but they'll also be people who think "Good old Boris, it's good to have a fun-loving prime minister. He works hard, why shouldn't he let his hair down?"

In fact, the news of this party broke a week ago and we've already seen the Tories rise in the polls since then - so, it's having minimal effect on the public. TBH, the lack of preparation for Covid, the delayed lockdown and the dodgy contracts are all far worse IMHO and they didn't make any dent in the Tories' ratings. As the commentators note, we all know that Johnson is a habitual liar and makes poor judgments but that's priced in - the electorate don't mind it.

He's going to head off the Winchester for a quiet pint and wait for it all to blow over ... sadly

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here