Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is a comparison between something worthwhile versus what the political yoof actually focus their attention upon. I am in favour of the former but shake my head sadly at the latter.

I can draw you a diagram if you still think my assessment is still plain odd :wink:

Sorry to butt in Harry but I am still a little confused. Are you saying that protesting against climate change, and the lack of action across governments is 'soppy-bollocks tomfoolery' or are you talking about Extinction Rebellion specifically? I am struggling with the notion that protesting about the climate disaster that is in the process of engulfing us is 'soppy-bollocks tomfoolery'.

Johnstone and his ****nugget government are going to be gone in a couple of years (surely not even the UK will vote them in again - just someone not quite as awful). Although to be fair you are going to have to live with the political decisions made in the last few years for a long time yet) Climate change is going nowhere and should be protested far more - IMHO of course.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve said it before, we are sleep walking into a dictatorship. It couldn’t happen here? It is happening here. This will end in disaster and nasty civil unrest. But there’s a lot more damage to democracy to be done by the Tory’s before that happens.

Dictatorships happen step by step. A law change here, a policy change there. A steady erosion of rights. Shifting power from Parliament to party individuals. This is how it happens. And before anyone realises, it’s all added up to a party that cannot be removed and cannot be held to account. And now you cannot even protest it without risking arrest and a criminal record.

It is happening.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’ve said it before, we are sleep walking into a dictatorship. It couldn’t happen here? It is happening here. This will end in disaster and nasty civil unrest. But there’s a lot more damage to democracy to be done by the Tory’s before that happens.

Dictatorships happen step by step. A law change here, a policy change there. A steady erosion of rights. Shifting power from Parliament to party individuals. This is how it happens. And before anyone realises, it’s all added up to a party that cannot be removed and cannot be held to account. And now you cannot even protest it without risking arrest and a criminal record.

It is happening.

Nah, it’s not, I’m not saying he maybe trying but no.

I am all for a March on Downing Street, everyone should wear a mask, walk silently hold a picture of a friend or relative that has died of covid in one hand a bottle of wine in the other and leave them out side, and slowly walk to the House of Lords and then go bat shite crazy and rip down.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It is happening.
Yes, it's happening NOW!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
But why don’t we stand up to it? Why aren’t we marching against this utter destruction of everything I thought a modern forward looking country like us, should be.

Johnson has trampled all over everything I believed in about this country, and he couldn’t give a feck.

And we just sit there politely, awaiting the next general election (which is absolutely a fixed five year term, unless the government choose to do different.)

Why?

(certainly not aimed at you HWT, it’s a rant about politics in the UK and how people suck up to being fed utter shit and saying, it’s ok but they’ve tasted better. It’s better the shit you know, than that foreign muck kinda thing.)

It’s so sad.

Over a million people marched peacefully because they could see through the lies of Brexit, but it made no difference. This government still went for the hardest deal they could.
Now it is illegal to protest, punishable by up to ten years in prison.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I wouldn’t , but I have her in mind as a right dirty cow in bed. The sort you wake up with embarrassed that she let you do things to her that you would expect from a barn yard animal.

That’s outrageous. There’s is no evidence that the fragrant Nadine would be suggesting a rusty trombone or Boston pancakes on a first date.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
That’s outrageous. There’s is no evidence that the fragrant Nadine would be suggesting a rusty trombone or Boston pancakes on a first date.

With trepidation, I googled that, luckily no images popped up.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If what is happening here was happening elsewhere, we'd be calling it corruption and fascism.

Yet weirdly we seem reticent about calling it that here. Even when it's happening right in front of our faces.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If what is happening here was happening elsewhere, we'd be calling it corruption and fascism.

Yet weirdly we seem reticent about calling it that here. Even when it's happening right in front of our faces.

This.

It would be wrong to directly compare the U.K. of 2022 to Germany in 1930’s and 40’s, however there are some parallels. The exceptional book, Berlin Diary by journalist William L. Shirer details first hand the rise of a dictatorship, the refusal of the German people to acknowledge what was happening and the disbelief and regret when it became clear it was too late to do stop it.
I see some of this happening in the U.K. today

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Election overriding legislation incoming…

[tweet]1530441692649869313[/tweet]

[tweet]1530439817259102208[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
And a brand new way of campaigning in an election - total silence ???

Tiverton and Honiton by-election: Tory candidate ‘told not to speak to media because of fear of partygate questions’

The Conservative candidate for the upcoming Tiverton and Honiton by-election has been ordered not to speak to the media by senior party officials because they fear she will be asked about partygate, insiders say. The former headteacher is said to have been told not to speak to press – because CCHQ think she will struggle to deal with questions about Boris Johnson’s lockdown lawbreaking.

One local Tory says that anger about Downing Street shindogs is now so widespread in the rural Devon constituency that it has been decided Ms Hurford’s best chance of victory is to remain largely silent and hope the party’s current 24,000 majority carries her to victory. The result is that Ms Hurford has been all but invisible since being selected as the Tories’ candidate on Monday. Requests to speak to her by The Independent went firstly unanswered and were then declined with no reason given.

The order for silence is said to have even been extended to local Conservative councillors who have been informally told not to discuss the by-election with media.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/tiverton-and-honiton-by-election-tory-candidate-told-not-to-speak-to-media-because-of-fear-of-partygate-questions/ar-AAXNgqX?ocid=mailsignout&li=AAnZ9Ug

They have recognised that Bungle****'s behaviour is so completely reprehensible and indefensible, that they have actually silenced their own Prospective Parliamentary Candidate from campaigning. And yet there are still people defending this and him on NSC. Not on this thread obviously, but there's some interesting posts elsewhere from those that can't resist defending him or old simple whataboutery, but don't want to enter into discussions why they still back him.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to butt in Harry but I am still a little confused. Are you saying that protesting against climate change, and the lack of action across governments is 'soppy-bollocks tomfoolery' or are you talking about Extinction Rebellion specifically? I am struggling with the notion that protesting about the climate disaster that is in the process of engulfing us is 'soppy-bollocks tomfoolery'.

Johnstone and his ****nugget government are going to be gone in a couple of years (surely not even the UK will vote them in again - just someone not quite as awful). Although to be fair you are going to have to live with the political decisions made in the last few years for a long time yet) Climate change is going nowhere and should be protested far more - IMHO of course.

OK. Yes, the climate is an issue. It is something that is constantly being considered in the wider world, and the direction of travel is good. So I see extinction rebellion and the chaos it has caused at pointless and annoyng. Like militant antivivisection. I work in central London and what I saw of the 'protesting' was people having a joyous time smiling and happy with fellow minded types.

Meanwhile expressing just ony tine bit of disapproval and anger about the theft of our democracy by young people is completely not on their agenda. Johnson is an imminent, dangerous and reversible threat but it is not exciting, modern, glamourous or young to protest against it.

That's my only point. Don't worry - I won't be off to burn plastic any time soon

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
OK. Yes, the climate is an issue. It is something that is constantly being considered in the wider world, and the direction of travel is good. So I see extinction rebellion and the chaos it has caused at pointless and annoyng. Like militant antivivisection. I work in central London and what I saw of the 'protesting' was people having a joyous time smiling and happy with fellow minded types.

Meanwhile expressing just ony tine bit of disapproval and anger about the theft of our democracy by young people is completely not on their agenda. Johnson is an imminent, dangerous and reversible threat but it is not exciting, modern, glamourous or young to protest against it.

That's my only point. Don't worry - I won't be off to burn plastic any time soon

Sorry to say this as I often agree with you but I think you're wrong on a few points here:

- extinction rebellion isn't just young people, in fact there are a large number of retired people taking part in the protests (as they have less to fear about being arrested). Other climate protests have indeed been led by young people, e.g. Fridays for future.

- the progress on climate issues is far from good. Yes it is moving in the right direction, but far far too slowly. That's what the protests are about

- why should it be down to young people to organise protests about democracy? A few people on this thread are complaining about the lack of protest - so fill your boots, set one up yourself. It's all of our responsibility.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Tory meltdown incoming...

Election overriding legislation incoming…

Unless they get rid of Johnson, they will lose the vast majority of their 21 London seats, no matter how much they change the boundaries in their favour. He is utterly despised in the capital, like a bitter ex-wife if you like.

Edit: Johnson only has a majority of 7,210. He’ll be parachuted to some constituency in or around Burnley where they love him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Sorry to say this as I often agree with you but I think you're wrong on a few points here:

- extinction rebellion isn't just young people, in fact there are a large number of retired people taking part in the protests (as they have less to fear about being arrested). Other climate protests have indeed been led by young people, e.g. Fridays for future.

- the progress on climate issues is far from good. Yes it is moving in the right direction, but far far too slowly. That's what the protests are about

- why should it be down to young people to organise protests about democracy? A few people on this thread are complaining about the lack of protest - so fill your boots, set one up yourself. It's all of our responsibility.

Fair enough. I accept my narrative here is incorrect; allowing my concern about Johnson to cloud my perspective. And I've been the one banging on about waiting for the GE to make our opinions count, and not wasting time huffing and puffing now so I can hardly moan about a lack of protest can I?

I will admit a rather negative attitude to protest (especially street) in general, dating back to the anti nuclear marches in the early 80s I went on, that went largely ignored, making me realize that getting rid of Thatcher would require a lot more than protesting. And here I am apparently advocating protest against Johnson.

A tricky business all this. A cool head will probably be for the best. As an absolutists I find it difficult to navigate between hysteria and complacency :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fair enough. I accept my narrative here is incorrect; allowing my concern about Johnson to cloud my perspective. And I've been the one banging on about waiting for the GE to make our opinions count, and not wasting time huffing and puffing now so I can hardly moan about a lack of protest can I?

I will admit a rather negative attitude to protest (especially street) in general, dating back to the anti nuclear marches in the early 80s I went on, that went largely ignored, making me realize that getting rid of Thatcher would require a lot more than protesting. And here I am apparently advocating protest against Johnson.

A tricky business all this. A cool head will probably be for the best. As an absolutists I find it difficult to navigate between hysteria and complacency :lolol:

At least when you went on a protest march in the late 70's you got to see The Clash, Steel Pulse, Tom Robinson etc. I really can't think of a current act that would get me marching round London today :wink:

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
This.

It would be wrong to directly compare the U.K. of 2022 to Germany in 1930’s and 40’s, however there are some parallels. The exceptional book, Berlin Diary by journalist William L. Shirer details first hand the rise of a dictatorship, the refusal of the German people to acknowledge what was happening and the disbelief and regret when it became clear it was too late to do stop it.
I see some of this happening in the U.K. today

Brilliant speech from SNP MP Mhairie Black last week, warning that we are sleep-walking into Fascism - one of the most eloquent and powerful parliamentary speeches I have ever heard

Feb 14, 2010
The polls predicted Remain would win, May would trounce Corbyn and the last election would be close. The polls seem about as good at forecasts as the Bank of England on leaving the EU and the Lawro's premier league predictions. Boris I think (but could be wrong) will win the next election at a canter because labour has a leader who didnt / doesn't believe in implementing election results (EU referendum) which makes him dishonest, untrustworthy, plus tainted with totalitarian tendency. This a far greater crime than having a drink at his work with people in his bubble, when trying to sort out all sorts during lockdown when they step back and think about it. I sometimes think labour only want to be a party of protest without any desire to govern. Just what they believe in is hard to pin down. Labour seem to say they are liberal, whilst then in the breath say they believe in equality. Anyone with half a brain knows that you cant be both a liberal, believing in freedom, whilst trying to impose equal on all individuals. The two things are diametrically opposed by definition. It's about as daft as voting to hold an EU referendum then trying to do everything to not implement the result. I'm sure there is logical thought in the labour party, but they do a great job of hiding it at times.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Boris I think (but could be wrong) will win the next election at a canter because labour has a leader who didnt / doesn't believe in implementing election results (EU referendum) which makes him dishonest, untrustworthy, plus tainted with totalitarian tendency.

You've just described BoJo there. Can't believe there are still people who think he is doing a good job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here