Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why are you acting like you used to? You stopped all this crap for ages. Now you’re back with a vengeance. Why did you bother coming on this thread? You have contributed nothing except weird, stalker posts and completely off topic waffle.
It’s not my place to tell you to go away but, go away.

My questions don’t need answering. I’m not giving you the binfest you are so clearly hankering after. Surprised you haven’t been chucked off the thread yet.

You are of course quite right TC, there was no need to come on this thread and act like a tit, I’ll bow out now [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Probably not, but if you're having to replace your First X1 with Under 18's, I think you'll struggle a hell of a lot more.

Using that analogy, the 1st XI were getting this country relegated anyway, so why not blood some youngsters?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why on earth does it take until October to elect a new leader of a political party? Just get it done, end of July tops is plenty of time.
We'll be 6 or 7 episodes into The Game of Thrones prequel by then. Maybe Johnson is hoping for some inspiration from the TV.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
I am surprised to hear that he's not going to stand. One can only assume that Raab genuinely supports Johnson and considers this affiliation to be an impediment to any personal ambitions he may have.

The silly man.

Or maybe he has read the room? Nah. Can't be that competent. He's probably just waiting for his big job outside of politics and his peerage.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Elmet and Rothwell MP [MENTION=37822]alec[/MENTION]Shelbrooke says he will be backing Foreign Secretary Liz Truss to be the next PM and Tory leader.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1545039431651840001[/tweet]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
With regard to the above post, and Starmer PMQS attack on the entire Tory front bench yesterday (nodding dogs) is this the Labour strategy?
A series of co-ordinated attacks on the integrity and competence of the entire government, and not letting the Tories get away with blaming everything on a rogue PM.
If this is the case, the next leader of the Tories, and therefore our PM is already tainted.
A big win for Labour, I would say.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Elmet and Rothwell MP [MENTION=37822]alec[/MENTION]Shelbrooke says he will be backing Foreign Secretary Liz Truss to be the next PM and Tory leader.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

The one that has just flown home from a huge G20 summit? That Liz Truss? She’s abandoned her post ffs

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I see what you're saying, and a good speaker with bad intentions can lead to very bad outcomes if the masses take it in - see Hitler or Farage - although good vs bad is of course subjective.

Perhaps "good" is the wrong choice of word, but it's certainly important for an effective leader.

It's not just the public you need to win over though and having charisma will help in negotiations internationally and locally. I'll stress that if it's all you've got, like Boris, then you'll quickly get found out.

Agree! Thanks!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
The one that has just flown home from a huge G20 summit? That Liz Truss? She’s abandoned her post ffs

f5a.gif

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw this and thought I'd pop back to post it :smile:

My point was that the Russians disliked him above all other World leaders, not that he saved us from anyone, seems he gave some hope to the beleaguered Ukranians too.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...sedgntp&cvid=d8052e9babee40599e6b3f45fdf9dbb5

OK, fine. Putin doesn't like Johnson. Zelenskiy likes Johnson. I still disagree with you that if this means Johnson did something right it confers an ounce of virtue on him, or mitigates against the assessment that he's one of our worst ever PMs.

As I said before, it is possible to heap praise on anyone. But is it right to do so?

You and I clearly differ in our views. Here's another man who had praise heaped upon him:

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity...m-for-charity-and-left-another-5m-in-his-will

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Given the general political leanings of NSC, a separate thread for those who voted for Boris in 2019 would be a far more interesting read for me, as I'm sure the majority on this one despised Boris from the start.

I am one of those who voted for Boris in 2019. For me, it's a regrettable hour. At the end of the day his character, which the public already knew when they voted him in with an enormous majority 2.5 years ago, has been his downfall. However, most of the mistakes he's made have been in conjunction with the failings of others in the Conservative Party - Cummings, those in Downing Street, Paterson, Pincher. Of course, many of those he employed himself, but others were MPs, voted in by the British public. It reminds me a bit of Manchester United under Ole last season. Yes Ole and the board were ultimately to blame for United's poor performance, but the players have just as much culpability.

The Conservative Party is a mess and whilst the responsibility ultimately lies at Boris' feet for it as leader, I can't see it magically recovering under a new leader as the rest of the party have acted just as abhorrently. Nadhim Zahawi exemplifies this. Who on earth, in any other sphere or job in life, would accept a job from their boss and the next day tell their boss to resign? That's less integrity right there than the man they're claiming to have none! The last two Conservative PM's have been forced to resign, which tells you the viperous state of the party.

Like United, I can't see Boris' successor turning things around. I think I would have preferred a General Election than a leadership contest. Anyone but Rishi for the Conservatives would leave me in a serious quandary if there was an election tomorrow. If Labour actually had some policies I'd be tempted to vote for Keir as I don't mind him as an individual, however much I currently dislike the rest of his party.

Why? As you've proved, anyone who voted for 'Boris' can post on this thread – it's not an anti-'Boris' only zone :shrug:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
OK, fine. Putin doesn't like Johnson. Zelenskiy likes Johnson. I still disagree with you that if this means Johnson did something right it confers an ounce of virtue on him, or mitigates against the assessment that he's one of our worst ever PMs.

As I said before, it is possible to heap praise on anyone. But is it right to do so?

You and I clearly differ in our views. Here's another man who had praise heaped upon him:

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity...m-for-charity-and-left-another-5m-in-his-will

Never thought I'd be linked to Jimmy Saville about anything :down:

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Honestly if Liz Truss had seen out the G20 summit and then returned home she'd be in a great position. Out of the country on official business during all the chaos, ready to swoop in and look like an adult. ****ed it now

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here