Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] You're fired, you're fired, you're fired.....

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59554585

fired.jpg

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Pick of the quotes: “last time I did this I cried, this time I hope to be stronger” well that’s ok then said the 900 in unison.

American employment law leaves a whole shit tonne to be desired.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Pick of the quotes: “last time I did this I cried, this time I hope to be stronger” well that’s ok then said the 900 in unison.

It's harsh, but UK laws are often a pain in the arse as well though - takes forever to put structural changes through sometimes, the CPs get delayed and distracted etc etc - often to the detriment of those leaving and rest of the staff. Personally I'd rather get a quick bullet than a slow and painful process full of gossip and speculation, worry and stress. As always there is a middle ground (or should be). At least he had the balls to do it himself - and with 900, Zoom would have been the logical way - couldn't have done it individually.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think if I'd received this email last year, I wouldn't have been here this year to be sacked!

Mr Garg's management style has also been criticised before, after an email that he sent to staff that was obtained by Forbes last year.

In the email, Mr Garg wrote: "You are TOO DAMN SLOW. You are a bunch of DUMB DOLPHINS... SO STOP IT. STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW. YOU ARE EMBARRASSING ME."

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Most employees in the States are employed on "At Will" contracts which means you can be dismissed for any reason (as long as it's not illegal like race, sexuality etc) without warning. So in most cases there is not a lot you can do accept grin and bear it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
On the plus side the boss then went on to have a wonderful day at a cracking owl sanctuary with the lovely Jill.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
It's harsh, but UK laws are often a pain in the arse as well though - takes forever to put structural changes through sometimes, the CPs get delayed and distracted etc etc - often to the detriment of those leaving and rest of the staff. Personally I'd rather get a quick bullet than a slow and painful process full of gossip and speculation, worry and stress. As always there is a middle ground (or should be). At least he had the balls to do it himself - and with 900, Zoom would have been the logical way - couldn't have done it individually.

The UK also has a much more generous redundancy package than the US. Those poor saps were getting a month's pay, as far as I could tell, seemingly irrespective of their length of service. My company recently went through a redundancy programme and whilst I was part of it, I survived, but my package, had I gone, would have been the equivalent of 48 weeks pay.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
I was headhunted by Better.com from my current job this summer and declined the interview because they were seeking to return back to the office 5 days a week and gave the whole "we're a family, so sometimes we're here until 8-9pm". The pay was excellent but the culture seemed ****ing gross, and this doesn't surprise me. I hope the other 2 who did jump shit aren't casualties.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There's no easy way to lay off 900 people. Having been made redundant at the beginning of this year and finding most of the information out via the media first, I give the boss credit for doing it himself.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Sorry but I utterly disagree with you about the UK law statement - if anything it needs strengthening. I've been made redundant four times ( along with other people at the same time ) and every time I've put in a formal grievance as to why 'I' ( I recognise it's the role being made redundant not me personally ) was selected and then paid a solicitor to get me more money - every time it worked - once it got me five times what the other people got. Employers are too quick to hire and fire and the absolute minimum people should get, by law, should be three months of pay ( tax free as it's a redundancy package ).

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So he cried David Brent tears :

"On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud."

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry but I utterly disagree with you about the UK law statement - if anything it needs strengthening. I've been made redundant four times ( along with other people at the same time ) and every time I've put in a formal grievance as to why 'I' ( I recognise it's the role being made redundant not me personally ) was selected and then paid a solicitor to get me more money - every time it worked - once it got me five times what the other people got. Employers are too quick to hire and fire and the absolute minimum people should get, by law, should be three months of pay ( tax free as it's a redundancy package ).

That sounds more down to crap management and not following due process, not the law. The problem is sadly the law is a bit overblown to protect against that crap management, but it becomes a series of unnecessary hoops and obstacles for companies that (at least try) to do things properly. I've been on both sides of the fence loads of times.

Paying three months minimum to anyone being made redundant could crucify smaller companies (who are already possibly having cashflow issues to make the redundancies in the first place) - hence SRP

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The UK also has a much more generous redundancy package than the US. Those poor saps were getting a month's pay, as far as I could tell, seemingly irrespective of their length of service. My company recently went through a redundancy programme and whilst I was part of it, I survived, but my package, had I gone, would have been the equivalent of 48 weeks pay.

True from a statutory perspective and I know - even without the minimum requirements it's a nightmare trying to deal with a global redundancy 'project' (basically the last thing I did before I took the silver bullet myself last year), even where the firm has taken some steps to equalise things.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Unfortunately the Conservative party has still managed to trick a percentage of working people that union support is one step away from communism.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here