Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] At What Point Can A Match Be Postponed?

el punal

I am referring to our current injury situation but also with the spectre of a Covid outbreak in the squad. I remember Alan Mullery convincing the Football League back in 1978(?) that our team, due to play Stoke, had all gone down with ‘flu. He succeeded and the fixture was rearranged.

I would imagine rules and regulations are now much more stringent but surely there’s a tipping point whereby the PL would step in and call a game off.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A few games last season were postponed due to Covid and a few were not despite cases in the teams so the answer seems to be... "sometimes, when PL randomly decide it should be postponed".

The injuries wont matter and wont be seen as a reason to postpone.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I am referring to our current injury situation but also with the spectre of a Covid outbreak in the squad. I remember Alan Mullery convincing the Football League back in 1978(?) that our team, due to play Stoke, had all gone down with ‘flu. He succeeded and the fixture was rearranged.

I would imagine rules and regulations are now much more stringent but surely there’s a tipping point whereby the PL would step in and call a game off.

It’s not just our injuries, at the moment, Spurs are rumoured to have an outbreak of covid19 in their squad.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It’s not just our injuries, at the moment, Spurs are rumoured to have an outbreak of covid19 in their squad.

And the question of whether the vaccination status of the players who have it will surely come up.

There will be an argument, (not necessarily making it myself) why should team A get a fixture pile up because team B can't put a team out because they've not been jabbed?

The other solution is that if you can't put a team out for whatever reason you lose the game, which was the case before the pandemic

SAC

May 21, 2014
And the question of whether the vaccination status of the players who have it will surely come up.

There will be an argument, (not necessarily making it myself) why should team A get a fixture pile up because team B can't put a team out because they've not been jabbed?

The other solution is that if you can't put a team out for whatever reason you lose the game, which was the case before the pandemic

So long as it is the same for everyone, I think this is the only fair solution.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
With a 25 man squad plus U23s you would need a very high number of players out to even get to the discussion with the PL.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
What if our injured players get Covid? ��

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

What would happen if we couldn't put out a team because of injuries, and Spurs couldn't put a team out because of covid? Presumably - just abandoned and no points awarded at all?

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade

From Matt Law in The Telegraph - Those who have recorded positive tests so far are all thought to have been double vaccinated.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
injuries, tough im afraid.

covid... we've had 18mths for PL to set some rules on how to handle that.

right?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
injuries, tough im afraid.

covid... we've had 18mths for PL to set some rules on how to handle that.

right?

You'd think - but the Board do it on a case by case basis apparently

The Premier League's rulebook states "permission will not be granted to postpone a league match where the applicant club has 14 or more players listed on its squad list available" but when it comes to coronavirus requests a club can apply for a postponement and the league's board will then convene and make a decision based on medical evidence and other potential factors.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You'd think - but the Board do it on a case by case basis apparently

The Premier League's rulebook states "permission will not be granted to postpone a league match where the applicant club has 14 or more players listed on its squad list available" but when it comes to coronavirus requests a club can apply for a postponement and the league's board will then convene and make a decision based on medical evidence and other potential factors.

This happened in cricket last season. When Sussex and Kent were hit by Covid, they had to play a lot of reserves and kids. When Surrey were, they got the game abandoned.

My guess is that if Brighton were to be struck down, tough luck. If Man Utd or Liverpool were, then game off.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Think you need 13 players to be able to play. Not sure if that includes u23's etc.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
When can we use an U23 or even U18 in our squad?
If we have a squad of 25 but only 13 are fit, who can we draft in and can the play or be reserve only?
I notice Southampton have signed a keeper for a month as cover, presuming the first team keeper is unfit.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When can we use an U23 or even U18 in our squad?
If we have a squad of 25 but only 13 are fit, who can we draft in and can the play or be reserve only?
I notice Southampton have signed a keeper for a month as cover, presuming the first team keeper is unfit.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2247219

Rules on U21 players

Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2021/22 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2000.

Our submitted list of registered U21s: (HGP = Home Grown Player)

Toby Graham Bull HGP
Walter James Byrne Furlong
Moises Isaac Caicedo Corozo
Samy Olivier Chouchane HGP
Alexander William Cochrane HGP
Tobias Christopher Collyer HGP
Aaron Anthony Connolly HGP
Lars Dendoncker
Adam Jack Desbois HGP
Joshua James Leslie Duffus HGP
Zak Ben Emmerson HGP
Ulrick Brad Eneme Ella
Matthew Everitt HGP
Evan Joe Ferguson
Hugo Dov Fisher HGP
Jake Ian Gee HGP
Jack Samuel Lawrence Hinchy
Jack Luca Hinshelwood HGP
Marcus Lemar Ifill
Benjamin Harvey Jackson HGP
Eliot Steven Jenks HGP
Teddy Christopher Graham Jenks HGP
Michal Karbownik
Leigh Robert Kavanagh
Reda Khadra
Tariq Kwame Nii-Lante Lamptey HGP
Marc Henry Leonard
Ryan James Longman HGP
John Albert Luis Lucero HGP
Ruairi Conor McConville
Thomas Peter Wayne McGill HGP
Todd Owen Miller HGP
Andrew Moran
Casper Hugo Nilsson
Odeluga Joshua Offiah HGP
Samuel James Packham HGP
Cameron Peupion
Jaami Muhammad Qureshi HGP
Tommy Reid HGP
Taylor Jerome Richards HGP
Haydon Roberts HGP
Carl Andrew Rushworth HGP
Jeremy Leonel Sarmiento Morante
Kjell Scherpen
Abdallah Dipo Sima
Bailey Leo Smith
Jack Spong HGP
Zak Norton Sturge
Fynn Michael Cordell Talley HGP
Ayobami Babatunde Tanimowo
Lorent Tolaj
Antef Tsoungui HGP
Edward James Turns HGP
Jan Paul Van Hecke
Jensen Guy Weir HGP
Benjamin John Wilson
Joseph Louie Winstanley HGP

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This happened in cricket last season. When Sussex and Kent were hit by Covid, they had to play a lot of reserves and kids. When Surrey were, they got the game abandoned.

My guess is that if Brighton were to be struck down, tough luck. If Man Utd or Liverpool were, then game off.

Very well explained.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
https://www.premierleague.com/news/2247219

Rules on U21 players

Under-21 players are eligible over and above the limit of 25 players per squad. For the 2021/22 campaign Under-21 players will have been born on or after 1 January 2000.

Our submitted list of registered U21s: (HGP = Home Grown Player)

Aaron Anthony Connolly HGP

Tariq Kwame Nii-Lante Lamptey HGP

Mmmm. Are these two registered in the 25 man squad or U21's but allowed to play in the first team? Just wondered.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here