Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Complete House Clearance Recommendations

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Long story short ... my parents have both died in the last four months. I now need to get to get their house cleared of any remaining 'stuff' - it includes clothes, furniture, cooking items, knickknacks, garden stuff and general stuff old people have collected over the years. I'm arranging for Emmaus to come round to take what they would like but does anyone have a recommendation for a company that will clear the rest ( probably zero value ) stuff ? A company that won't just dump it on the Downs and has a licence please !

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I use brighton rubbish solutions to get rid of my waste

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Long story short ... my parents have both died in the last four months. I now need to get to get their house cleared of any remaining 'stuff' - it includes clothes, furniture, cooking items, knickknacks, garden stuff and general stuff old people have collected over the years. I'm arranging for Emmaus to come round to take what they would like but does anyone have a recommendation for a company that will clear the rest ( probably zero value ) stuff ? A company that won't just dump it on the Downs and has a licence please !

Sorry for your loss.

It might be worth contacting a charity. Salvation Army?
When we cleared my Father's flat I am pretty sure they took a lot.

Mind you that was over 20 years ago and things have changed.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In the last few years we've lost both my grandparents and used British Heart Foundation for the work, they did a grand job (one was in Hassocks so was the Brighton people, who were also the better of the two IMO)

https://www.bhf.org.uk/shop/donating-goods/house-clearance

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sorry for your loss

I know Mark who owns this Brighton based company and he's been doing this sort of thing for donkey's years, does lots of the council's work here and in Worthing and has all the appropriate licences.

https://www.peakecleaning.co.uk/

(He is a Chelsea fan though)
I

Edit, I think the Martlets take bits and bobs as well. Might be worth giving them a shout with regards crockery and knick knacks.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sorry for your loss.

It might be worth contacting a charity. Salvation Army?
When we cleared my Father's flat I am pretty sure they took a lot.

Mind you that was over 20 years ago and things have changed.

Emmaus is a charity which the OP has already got coming round. They need a help getting rid of the stuff the charity don't take.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Firstly I’m very sorry for your loss.

Just gone through this stage (how much “crap” btw did you ask/tell you parents not to stick in the loft, spare room, garage etc many years ago and now it’s all destined for landfill?!!! Could curse mine, really could!)

Anyway, avoid the major charities like Brit Heart Foundation. They will charge you thousands to take away, and to be clear, anything they sell they keep proceeds from too. People like to think of big charities as the right thing to do, but they have to pay staff just like any corporate and therefore have to make a profit. So unless you’ve got big pockets, don’t use for this task. It’ll be the same as donating £2-3k and you might as well do that directly as book ‘em to clear your folks place at your otherwise expense.

Also, don’t listen to the scores of people that will tell you stuff is worth something. It generally isn’t and they don’t know what they’re talking about. Watch a programme like Antique traders and how much items are worth. Ie they’re NOT! If you’ve got all the time in the world and are prepared to go through the enormous hassle of photographing, listing, putting a value on and taking to auction etc numerous items (many of which won’t sell) all for ‘a fiver’ then granted for ahead and do so. But generally the VAST amount of ‘stuff’ most people including our parents generation have accumulated is worthless. That’s because eg people live in smaller spaces, furniture is constantly in and out of fashion, people don’t want second hand despite a few ‘trends’ the age of consumerism means there’s an abundance of ‘stuff’ out there already that you just can’t give away never mind sell. Not forgetting covid saw everyone empty their attics flooding the markets with ‘stuff’

Seriously, take whatever has sentimental value or known obvious value (any Gainsboroughs, Turners etc!) and everything else either let the clearance company take or start with a skip. It will save you a lot of time and heartache. The boomers were the first generation to live through FMCG and consumerism and accumulated huge amounts of ‘stuff’ therefore. But the next generations live in smaller spaces and don’t want all the ‘brown’ antique reproduction or reAl stuff. Dinner sets etc you can pick up for tuppence at supermarkets so not desired either. Plus loads of H&S regs that prevent you donating sofas, beds etc anyway!

I don’t think there’s such a phrase as “selling the family silver” anymore. We tried after all. Fact is, no one wants it even for free. Bitcoin is more the thing now but was a beyond my parents generation sadly!

Good luck! It’s a painful emotional job too, you have my sympathy. Not easy if they lived there for a long time like mine did and it’s full of memories and ghosts.

Last edited:

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Sorry for your loss OP. I also loss both my parents this time last year. It’s a painful time so I do hope you are getting the support you need.

Can’t help with the clearance but just wanted to acknowledge your parents. May they RIP.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

Just gone through this stage (how much “crap” btw did you ask/tell you parents not to stick in the loft, spare room, garage etc many years ago and now it’s all destined for landfill?!!! Could curse mine, really could!)

Anyway, avoid the major charities like Brit Heart Foundation. They will charge you thousands to take away, and to be clear, anything they sell they keep proceeds from too. People like to think of big charities as the right thing to do, but they have to pay staff just like any corporate and therefore have to make a profit. So unless you’ve got big pockets, don’t use for this task. It’ll be the same as donating £2-3k and you might as well do that directly as book ‘em to clear your folks place at your otherwise expense.

Also, don’t listen to the scores of people that will tell you stuff is worth something. It generally isn’t and they don’t know what they’re talking about. Watch a programme like Antique traders and how much items are worth. Ie they’re NOT! If you’ve got all the time in the world and are prepared to go through the enormous hassle of photographing, listing, putting a value on and taking to auction etc numerous items (many of which won’t sell) all for ‘a fiver’ then granted for ahead and do so. But generally the VAST amount of ‘stuff’ most people including our parents generation have accumulated is worthless. That’s because eg people live in smaller spaces, furniture is constantly in and out of fashion, people don’t want second hand despite a few ‘trends’ the age of consumerism means there’s an abundance of ‘stuff’ out there already that you just can’t give away never mind sell. Not forgetting covid saw everyone empty their attics flooding the markets with ‘stuff’

Seriously, take whatever has sentimental value or known obvious value (any Gainsboroughs, Turners etc!) and everything else either let the clearance company take or start with a skip. It will save you a lot of time and heartache. The boomers were the first generation to live through FMCG and consumerism and accumulated huge amounts of ‘stuff’ therefore. But the next generations live in smaller spaces and don’t want all the ‘brown’ antique reproduction or reAl stuff. Dinner sets etc you can pick up for tuppence at supermarkets so not desired either. Plus loads of H&S regs that prevent you donating sofas, beds etc anyway!

I don’t think there’s such a phrase as “selling the family silver” anymore. We tried after all. Fact is, no one wants it even for free. Bitcoin is more the thing now but was a beyond my parents generation sadly!

Good luck! It’s a painful emotional job too, you have my sympathy. Not easy if they lived there for a long time like mine did and it’s full of memories and ghosts.

Generally I completely agree with you . Most people unless fairly wealthy don’t own much ‘art’ etc that is valuable. The phrase family Silver was applicable up to about the 1950’s when some middle class families used to have solid silver cutlery sets to prove no doubt to there friends they were ‘ classy ‘

Nowdays it tends to be only the upper class who might eat with solid silver cutlery . Whilst plated silver has little value , a solid silver Victorian 12 place setting cutlery set in good condition can fetch anything from £1000 to £5000 depending on the maker .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Commiserations to the OP for his loss.

[The cycle of modern life.

Made in Taiwan/S.Korea/China >> shipped across the planet >> used for a few short years, sometimes just days when it snaps >> Ouse Valley incinerator.

Consumerism].

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Absolutely get where you're coming from on the loft .... if you want an accordion ( no idea why they had it ), a Dragon 32 computer or a non-working train set PM me - I can help ! Loads of other stuff as well.

Thank you though - it's a strange time - it's the things like clothes that are the hardest to deal with. Hence the requirement just to get one company / person to take everything. I'd rather it didn't go to landfill though - my father was a long serving Brighton Lion and would have hated the thought that his possessions didn't go to help anyone else.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Absolutely get where you're coming from on the loft .... if you want an accordion ( no idea why they had it ), a Dragon 32 computer or a non-working train set PM me - I can help ! Loads of other stuff as well.

Thank you though - it's a strange time - it's the things like clothes that are the hardest to deal with. Hence the requirement just to get one company / person to take everything. I'd rather it didn't go to landfill though - my father was a long serving Brighton Lion and would have hated the thought that his possessions didn't go to help anyone else.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

We have just been doing similar for one of my wife's family who has just gone into a home. We found that an Auction House took anything they thought would get a reasonable price at auction, but then we have had to spend a LOT of time boxing and bagging up clothes, bed linen, curtains, kitchenware, cutlery etc etc and taking it to charity shops. Admittedly, this was Glasgow, but they were all pleased to take it (including an Emmaus who I've always thought were local !).

The furniture that was left (three piece suite, couple of Big sofas, Beds etc) we have had to pay a significant amount to have taken away as charities just didn't seem to be interested due to fire labels etc. Sorry, no suggestions for what you are looking for but we found you have to pack the stuff yourself and take to charity shops, as clearance just seems to clear and dump.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

I totally understand, it’s a terrible moment in life. I was lucky, a good family friend took care of all my mothers (considerable!) pile of clothes. I was alone when I got to drawers of photos, thousands still in Kodak, true print etc envelopes. I cried my way through those and still have many to sort. You have to be ruthless. Keep 1, bin 23 others etc or you’ll never make it through. My parents kept so much stuff and evidently forgot what they already had because who needs 20 dining room tablecloths?! On the brighter side, it’s given us a good laugh as we’ve discovered things like our potties from the early 70s! WTF? Why keep that, along with curtains and numerous things that were never to be used again but we’re kept ‘just in case’ or for ‘the grand kids’ who don’t need or want because they didn’t think technology advances would make everything near redundant. I’m dreading my Aunts house clearance, that also falls to me. She has a big house and something like 500 cookery books alone, it’s absurd. It’s bursting with ‘stuff’ all of which has a supposed use when really it’s just people don’t want to let go. I can understand that, but sometimes it’s ridiculous. I remember arguing with my parents in the 90s as they asked me to put broken chairs and toasters etc up in the loft that they had zero use for because they’d purchased replacements. Guess who is now having to clear it all out? If there’s anyone out there reading this at such a time of life, please do your kids a favour and FFS listen to them. Start decluttering your house. Literally, get your s hit in order! Including POA’s etc.

Don’t even get me started on grocery cupboards and freezer contents…:facepalm:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Sorry to hear of your loss.

We have just been doing similar for one of my wife's family who has just gone into a home. We found that an Auction House took anything they thought would get a reasonable price at auction, but then we have had to spend a LOT of time boxing and bagging up clothes, bed linen, curtains, kitchenware, cutlery etc etc and taking it to charity shops. Admittedly, this was Glasgow, but they were all pleased to take it (including an Emmaus who I've always thought were local !).

The furniture that was left (three piece suite, couple of Big sofas, Beds etc) we have had to pay a significant amount to have taken away as charities just didn't seem to be interested due to fire labels etc. Sorry, no suggestions for what you are looking for but we found you have to pack the stuff yourself and take to charity shops, as clearance just seems to clear and dump.

Yep, same here re: fire labels etc. Everyone is constantly amazed and surprised that you literally can’t give so many things away that appear to be worth or you know cost hundreds/thousands of pounds. Antique clocks bought for £2k…valued at £30 maybe by auctioneers. See that £15k dinning room table, chairs and marching cabinets your folks commissioned? It’ll COST you a further £200 for someone to take away and you’re get nothing for it! It’s easier and cheaper to put stuff in a skip. This planet is overloaded with personal ‘stuff’, no wonder we’re ****-ed as a planet. Consumerism eh? Anyone need a couple of hoovers… ;) (and why buy 2? 1 was surely enough?!!)

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Sorry for you loss [MENTION=3791]Wes[/MENTION]tdeneSeagull

Assuming you have cleared / filtered out everything you want to keep or give to charity/sell and if budget is important contact a skip-hire company.
Should be able to arrange for multiple skip drop/collect on same day and just keep filling them up - ask some mated to help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here