Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
One bonus of this is the amount of fans attending at our local non-league clubs.

All of the Sussex non-league clubs offering great facilities, good value for money, ease of parking, fewer alcohol restrictions and decent football.

Averages for this season so far:

Worthing 1220 (Step 7)
Hastings United 841 (Step 8)
Bognor Regis Town 724 (Step 7)
Eastbourne Borough 696 (Step 6)
Lewes 679 (Step 7)
Horsham 551 (Step 7)
Haywards Heath 367 (Step 8)
Burgess Hill 307 (Step 8)
Whitehawk 292 (Step 8)
Chichester City 178 (Step 8)

I would imagine all of these averages are higher than pre-pandemic.

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
Speaking about the Albion home games it's the time these are being played (mostly evening).

I normally take the lad and these horrid late kick-offs do not work for us.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
And the price of tickets

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

The price of tickets has been high for some considerable seasons now though, so it wouldn't be for that reason that there are more empty spaces this time around.

I fancy Covid, the fear of, and restrictions, is the major cause.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
whilst the "prettendance" is the figure announced and published I would bet my house that the Clubs and Prem League collectively monitor and analyse the actual Bums on seats figures very closely so they are aware of any trends that are happening

If the new digital ticketing systems don't show numbers in the stadium in real time I'd be astounded. They will have all sorts of info available including how far in advance of kick off people are scanning in etc.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As far as Southampton is concerned, if the choice was between doing some Christmas shopping before another lockdown and going to watch that dreary team at that dreary stadium, it would be no contest.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Many reasons. Covid Price etc but really dont think Ticlets not going on exchange and not able to pass ticket on helps.
I have a cousin visiting Brighton at week end would like to get him ticket in same section as us. If exchange tickets not put up until Wed/Thurs every chance he will have arranged to do something else.
Against Leeds 3 seats in front of us empty because he couldnt give ticket to someone who would take his children.
I put on here before neighbour ill unable to go on Sunday. I entered his ticket last Thursday and still not available on site even though only 160 club ones available. Prime position but once again little chance of selling

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I would have ticked 'all the above' if available. But also add that perhaps PL football has peaked; Covid may have precipitated a trend of reduced attendance that was going to manifest itself anyway. And that might simple be that tastes change; I am of the age that can remember pitching up to First Division games at 2.55 Saturday and POTG; and Jimmy Hill bemoaning the ever reducing crowds.

Football became fashionable again in 1990s and has been a media success story for 20 years, but that may be changing. It is an expensive and time consuming hobby.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Covid concerns generally, coupled with consistently shit kick-off times in the case of the Albion. 17:30 is the new 15:00 - and it SUCKS. The needlessly grasping ticket transfer policy doesn't help either. It's a bit of a perfect storm really. And don't get me STARTED on the weather... :moo:

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I heard a strange rumour that we had agreed to help take part in a trial at the AMEX for semi automated offsides. its due to have a wider role out in a ladies international tournament. In order for the system to work it needs a large number of cameras at the ground, which usually can only be achieved infront of the tv cameras.

Why people arent going though, a lot will be down to Covid, falling out of the habit and price. I've been to 3 games this week, I find going to the AMEX a complete chore at the moment myself but that is purely because of the late kick off times which leads to it being even harder to get away by train after the game.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Understandably PB will be delighted all games all but sold out. However think he should be giving thought to whether people not attending and unable to pass ticket on will renew next season.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
A large factor in whether I renew next season will be dependent on if the club remove the £25 membership requirement for the person I would like to gift my unused season ticket to.
I'm happy for myself to pay the £20 fee per season to access the system.

I realise it's all been said before and we are going over old ground, but I think the club might be in for a bit of a shock in March when they start releasing season ticket renewal e-mails.

I'm likely to be away for about seven weeks in Sept/Oct, getting home just in time for the World Cup mid-season break to begin in November.
It's shaping up to be an expensive season ticket based on average cost per game.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For me, (non-STH), the match-by-match ticket price of PL football has always represented a bit of a barrier as I like to bring my children and whilst they are enthralled by the 'big game' atmosphere that surrounds PL fixtures, the reality is we can go and watch a League 1 game and it costs £5 for each of them and a tenner for me. In comparison to around £100 for a game at the Amex (for example), the value equation is pretty compelling. Of course, Cambridge United vs Burton Albion is nothing like a PL game - but the children still love it and it still has many of the elements that captivated me when I was their age and watching 3rd division football at the Goldstone with my dad. Not suggesting PL football should be priced at League One levels, but it's a big chunk of money for 90 minutes.

(As an Albion specific point, it would also help if the Exchange opened a little earlier. A few times this season I have been looking at ticket availability for home games in the week leading up to the match, credit card at the ready, but struggling to find 3 suitable seats together, [it's generally 1s or 2s that are showing and I need 3], so I've given up and bought CUFC tickets instead. Then, post-game, I generally read on here about rows of empty seats that I could have chosen from, if the club didn't insist on trying to shift all their unsold tickets before activating the Exchange).

Finally, the constantly moving feast of kick off times in the PL doesn't help. I had planned to get down to Sussex for a Brighton game before Christmas but the kick off times make it a near logistical impossibility for me. 3pm on a Saturday works fine - but as a single parent who shares time with the children at the weekends with their mum, late Saturday kick offs (Leeds, Newcastle) or Sunday afternoons (Spurs) are difficult for me. I accept that this is my issue, rather than the PLs, but it still doesn't make getting to games any easier.

The quirk of exchange tickets only being sold at full adult price doesn't help this either.

I completely understand why the club do this, but it does mean tickets for a typical Dad plus son/daughter on the exchange can be VERY expensive.

It was the Arsenal game, I think, where I put my tickets up for sale quite late on. I went back to check to see if they'd sold and noticed they were £52, with no concession pricing. I'd really think long and hard about shelling out over £100 for me and my lad to go to a game like that. My seats are WSU, so far from the most expensive in the ground.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
In the PL, if we’re being honest, it’s only us, Burnley and Southampton that have glaring gaps. Carrow Road, Villa, Anfield, United, Spurs, Chelsea etc. all packed to the rafters, and as much as I despise Leeds that packed ground was still almost full well into stoppage time yesterday. We have a combination of access/transport issues, plus fair weather fans, casual fans the likes of which Leeds do not have. Additionally the big six can always fill their ground with added tourist fans.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Late on, I was offered 1901 tickets for the Leeds game, which [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] and I took up.

This meant, a few hours before kick-off, my pair of tickets in the WSU weren't being used. I could see my next door neighbour was in, as his car was parked outside his house, and I know his son is a burgeoning Albion fan. Previously, I'd have gone and knocked on his door and asked if he wanted to use my tickets. I had a space in The Bridge, so could have given them a lift there and back too. Easy peasy - everyone's a winner.

This season though? Even if them having to join the Albion as a member is possible on the day (is it?), they'd had to have paid £50 between them to do so. I resolved it was just too much hassle to try and work stuff out, so I didn't knock on his door to see if he could make it. It feels so wasteful.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
In the PL, if we’re being honest, it’s only us, Burnley and Southampton that have glaring gaps. Carrow Road, Villa, Anfield, United, Spurs, Chelsea etc. all packed to the rafters, and as much as I despise Leeds that packed ground was still almost full well into stoppage time yesterday. We have a combination of access/transport issues, plus fair weather fans, casual fans the likes of which Leeds do not have. Additionally the big six can always fill their ground with added tourist fans.
I agree with what you say about the problems with transport which are peculiar to us. However loads of teams have casual fans as demonstrated by the huge increases in attendance between championship and promotion to the PL.

Even Leeds had very poor gates until the messiah showed up. West Ham had big gaps, so did villa and those were this week. I think that'll be replicated in every club apart from the few at the very top.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This season though? Even if them having to join the Albion as a member is possible on the day (is it?), .

My son signed up to be a Albion + member earlier in the season on the morning of the match. So yes. You can for sharing right up to KO.
There's a 7 day grace period i think to be a member to accrue points to buy away tickets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here