Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Why fewer bums on seats at PL games?

Why are there fewer people in grounds?

• Covid Concerns

Votes: 104 63.0%
  • Covid Restrictions

Votes: 28 17.0%
  • Price

Votes: 33 20.0%
  • Out of the habit

Votes: 39 23.6%
  • Other

Votes: 30 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No one takes all their chances, I’m actually against the crowd on here and don’t think a striker will be the saviour we need others to chip in with goals. I’m a bit disappointed with Lallana he scored a few for Liverpool can’t seem to hit a barn door for us, the rest of his play is superb so may be a little critical.

Lallana hasn’t been a goal scorer for 5 seasons.

Instead, an injury prone (for LFC) midfielder who slotted in when better players were injured.

D106A672-03CC-4762-A1DA-07A5065464A1.png

I too wish we had another midfielder in the first team with goals in them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No one takes all their chances, I’m actually against the crowd on here and don’t think a striker will be the saviour we need others to chip in with goals. I’m a bit disappointed with Lallana he scored a few for Liverpool can’t seem to hit a barn door for us, the rest of his play is superb so may be a little critical.

No it’s not, his wages and Saints and Liverpool experience along with International experience means we should be expecting him to chip in with and create goals. Christ he has got into some excellent positions and not even hit the target more often than not. He deserves to be criticised for that part of his game, other than that he is a joy to watch imo

August West

Jul 30, 2013
I have got a ST which I haven't used yet this season, although my recent booster meant I was thinking about doing so. Omicron then came along and has made that less likely and I potentially don't see myself going back until we are back to low double-digit covid deaths per day.

That may mean a full year of not using the ST, which could mean the club cancel it even though I'm happy to keep the DD going until they do.

My situation as well except for three matches when I managed to get parking spaces. I still felt very uneasy in the concourse and toilets with the vast majority unmasked and no way am I getting on a train!
I did get a parking space for Boxing Day and have offered three neighbours a lift so I suppose I’m committed…

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
My situation as well except for three matches when I managed to get parking spaces. I still felt very uneasy in the concourse and toilets with the vast majority unmasked and no way am I getting on a train!
I did get a parking space for Boxing Day and have offered three neighbours a lift so I suppose I’m committed…

Too late to move?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I put friends ticket on exchange last Thursday. Still not online because Albion have 65 available. Madness

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Another factor for me is the ridiculous timings for a lot of Games. We`ve had three games recently on cold dark evenings 5.30 kick off.
Boxing day 8pm IMO an absolute disgrace. Palace Game also 8pm kick off in January !!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Another factor for me is the ridiculous timings for a lot of Games. We`ve had three games recently on cold dark evenings 5.30 kick off.
Boxing day 8pm IMO an absolute disgrace. Palace Game also 8pm kick off in January !!!

That’s THE main factor for me.

I’ll just keep using the Exchange whilst the EPL/club/broadcasters do it.

My Saturday evenings are more precious than an all-in 4 hour jaunt to watch a game of football.

Eventually ditching the st’s when family circumstances allow.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Imho there has been a shift since the day we announced the goal to become an established top 10 club which has sucked a lot of the soul out of the football club, certainly home games.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it's a 'cold' club now run by very good football administrators who aren't fans and i totally agree. They are very good at what they do but it's all about turning the club into a corporate beast now and not at all about the supporters who are a total sideshow, there to be squeezed for every penny and lectured in the programme about what they should and shouldn't do, while the local press turns a blind eye to our annual bad run of form because they are too scared to be shunned by Barber.

Back to empty seats, the ticket sharing scheme is plainly a total mess as has been well covered on here. They won't scrap it completely, but you just know it will be repackaged next year as some sort of claim that the club listens to supporters. Which is rarely the case at all.

Finally, lockdown has made people rethink their habits and expenditure and simply don't want to pay the borderline disgusting prices for individual West Stand and East Stand seats to watch a side that will rarely score or win unless we're playing the big boys. There's a reason it's more full behind the goal than at the sides at the moment and I'm very surprised it's not been mentioned on this thread already.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Imho there has been a shift since the day we announced the goal to become an established top 10 club which has sucked a lot of the soul out of the football club, certainly home games.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that it's a 'cold' club now run by very good football administrators who aren't fans and i totally agree. They are very good at what they do but it's all about turning the club into a corporate beast now and not at all about the supporters who are a total sideshow, there to be squeezed for every penny and lectured in the programme about what they should and shouldn't do, while the local press turns a blind eye to our annual bad run of form because they are too scared to be shunned by Barber.

Back to empty seats, the ticket sharing scheme is plainly a total mess as has been well covered on here. They won't scrap it completely, but you just know it will be repackaged next year as some sort of claim that the club listens to supporters. Which is rarely the case at all.

Finally, lockdown has made people rethink their habits and expenditure and simply don't want to pay the borderline disgusting prices for individual West Stand and East Stand seats to watch a side that will rarely score or win unless we're playing the big boys. There's a reason it's more full behind the goal than at the sides at the moment and I'm very surprised it's not been mentioned on this thread already.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

:thumbsup:

Anecdotally, quite a few nsc stalwarts seem to say these days “I can’t make Saturday evening’s game, other commitments”.

Then post on nsc throughout and post match.

Almost as if watching on bt/amazon/sky in the warm from the sofa, with no travel time, is a huge blessing.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
The Spurs game tomorrow is EXACTLY the type of match I’d have bought last minute, spur of the moment, tickets for. I’ve just priced it up, the tickets are available and in my basket, but I just don’t think I can justify the cost. For the four of us, the tickets are £130 and the petrol (I did a mpg calculator) will be around £70. So that’s £200 for an evening at the football.

We went to all the fa cup and league cup games earlier in the year as well as the three Papa John’s trophy games, we’ve also been to a couple of away games where the ticket price is capped. Unfortunately season tickets aren’t really an option given that weekends are my busiest work times. It’s a shame really, we all love coming to watch the team play but ultimately in the current fiscal climate I don’t think I can justify the cost.

I realise that my transport costs are higher than most but even if it was the bare £130 you can see why empty blue seats are visible for many of the games.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
The Spurs game tomorrow is EXACTLY the type of match I’d have bought last minute, spur of the moment, tickets for. I’ve just priced it up, the tickets are available and in my basket, but I just don’t think I can justify the cost. For the four of us, the tickets are £130 and the petrol (I did a mpg calculator) will be around £70. So that’s £200 for an evening at the football.

We went to all the fa cup and league cup games earlier in the year as well as the three Papa John’s trophy games, we’ve also been to a couple of away games where the ticket price is capped. Unfortunately season tickets aren’t really an option given that weekends are my busiest work times. It’s a shame really, we all love coming to watch the team play but ultimately in the current fiscal climate I don’t think I can justify the cost.

I realise that my transport costs are higher than most but even if it was the bare £130 you can see why empty blue seats are visible for many of the games.
I got sent yesterday a questionnaire by the club as to why I have not renewed my 2 season tickets for next season.i answered instead of freezing next seasons season ticket prices amongst if not the highest in the land they should have lowered them .also I said the individual match day prices are way to high & expensive especially when taking a family of 4 or more.all in all it is very expensive (known as taking the p)I am out

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
@%1;
I got sent yesterday a questionnaire by the club as to why I have not renewed my 2 season tickets for next season.i answered instead of freezing next seasons season ticket prices amongst if not the highest in the land they should have lowered them .also I said the individual match day prices are way to high & expensive especially when taking a family of 4 or more.all in all it is very expensive (known as taking the p)I am out

That £200 puts food on the family table for a week or so, or offsets the price rises on everything in life. My wages only stretch so far and as it stands something needs to give. This truly isn’t about our poor form at home and it honestly wouldn’t matter to me where we are in the table or who we were playing either, I really look forward to matches. I just can’t justify that cost at the moment and I have a suspicion that we’re not the only ones. Next season’s attendances across the board will be interesting.

Football might just be due a reset.

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
@%1;That £200 puts food on the family table for a week or so, or offsets the price rises on everything in life. My wages only stretch so far and as it stands something needs to give. This truly isn’t about our poor form at home and it honestly wouldn’t matter to me where we are in the table or who we were playing either, I really look forward to matches. I just can’t justify that cost at the moment and I have a suspicion that we’re not the only ones. Next season’s attendances across the board will be interesting.

Agree with everything you have said .bills.food .family all come before football.simple.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
@%1;That £200 puts food on the family table for a week or so, or offsets the price rises on everything in life. My wages only stretch so far and as it stands something needs to give. This truly isn’t about our poor form at home either, it honestly wouldn’t matter to me where we are in the table or who we were playing either, I really look forward to matches. I just can’t justify that cost at the moment and I have a suspicion that we’re not the only ones. Next season’s attendances across the board will be interesting.

I think the idea of seeing close to capacity crowds at PL grounds might be heading for a re-set. Whether clubs re-visit their ticket pricing models to address this, I am not so sure. I am almost certain, however, that PL player salaries and agent's fees won't be heading for a re-set anytime soon.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think the idea of seeing close to capacity crowds at PL grounds might be heading for a re-set. Whether clubs re-visit their ticket pricing models to address this, I am not so sure. I am almost certain, however, that PL player salaries and agent's fees won't be heading for a re-set anytime soon.

The cynic in me says you're right, but we live in extraordinary times.

It's completely wrong that PL clubs are charging £40 to £50 per game when matchday income is only a tiny fraction of the money they make and whatever comes in goes almost immediately out of the door to millionaires.

I do believe that the PL as an organisation aren't happy with seeing so many empty seats at grounds and diluted atmospheres and will look to act if it gets worse, possibly with extending the £30 maximum for away fans to home fans.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I agree that players wages will be the last thing to go, but if folk stop coming to games and TV subscriptions begin to fall to pay for essentials like food and heating, eventually the golden goose will have laid its final egg. It’s supply and demand and if the supply out-prices itself…

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
As I said on the ST renewal thread, I am surprised we got 90% as the increased prices everywhere start to bite. Brighton is still one of the richer parts of the country, but I can only see the cost of living crisis getting worse over the next few years and people having a lot less to spend on the 'pleasures' of life.

Something will have to give :shrug:

seagull77

Aug 11, 2009
and if you do give up your ST with every intention of going match by match, as the chap mentioned about the Spurs game - £200 all in - it's just ain't gonna happen. Even if you did have the money to spare, it's not great value for money

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The two seats next to me in the North appeared to go unsold on the ticket exchange for the Liverpool game. Assuming it was nothing personal, I found that quite surprising

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Who am I to doubt PB but find 90% renewal hard to believe. Certainly in my small social circle have been surprised that some long term ST holders are giving up. Assume for a start they have included 1901 which we know was sold out a few months ago. Interesting still a 1000 plus tickets available for Spurs game which not long ago would not have happened. Maybe next season those giving up for financial reasons and choosing matches will be going to Cat c games as cant see them shelling out £50 plus to go to Cat A games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here