Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Villa game

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Maybe Leicester's brown envelope was heavier than Villa's today?

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
For those that can't be bothered to go to the other thread:

The Law says:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

Seems pretty clear cut to me. As someone who had his fingers broken by a player trying to kick the ball while I had it in my hands (I caught it just before he got there, he would have been deemed to have had every right to go for it at the time this happened), I like this law.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And the goalkeeper clearly knew the rules by placing his single hand on it knowing that was enough.

Unlike the Villa players and the pundit on Radio 5 live.

Or the fans chanting 'you're not fit to referee' from a place of apparently complete ignorance.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What about the "except if the ball rebounds or is saved" bit

How would you apply that in this situation? As far as I can see, the 'rebound or is saved' would be his initial touch that led to it dropping to the floor. A separate thing to his outstretched arm 'clamping' down on the ball on the floor (where it does not rebound, and isn't a save).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
How would you apply that in this situation? As far as I can see, the 'rebound or is saved' would be his initial touch that led to it dropping to the floor. A separate thing to his outstretched arm 'clamping' down on the ball on the floor (where it does not rebound, and isn't a save).

Well even the so called experts on Match of the Day 2 last night had no idea.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Bigger travesty was Kasper's play acting feigning injury when not touched. That really needs to be punished. Awful

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The goal was correctly ruled out.

Villa won the game anyway.

I really struggle to understand why anyone gives a shit.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Am I right in remembering that the rules on goalkeepers having it under control were changed after the Andy Dibble / Gary Crosby incident?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here