Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] TV Football under lights

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know when teams reach the EPL the floodlights have to have be uprated. This was originally explained to accommodate HD cameras. However having just watched the QPR game it was really hard at times to watch as the lighting looked poor. The point I make here is years ago I'm sure it didn't look that bad at lower grounds as it does now. Is this due to the new age cameras?

Or am I just an old git?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think it's the same as old movies. They looked great when they first came out, but after getting used to the new cgi and props they look bad. So I don't think it's changed, we have just got used to brighter matches.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
I know when teams reach the EPL the floodlights have to have be uprated. This was originally explained to accommodate HD cameras. However having just watched the QPR game it was really hard at times to watch as the lighting looked poor. The point I make here is years ago I'm sure it didn't look that bad at lower grounds as it does now. Is this due to the new age cameras?

Or am I just an old git?

Opposite at West Ham! Needed sunglasses- ridiculously bright!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think it's the same as old movies. They looked great when they first came out, but after getting used to the new cgi and props they look bad. So I don't think it's changed, we have just got used to brighter matches.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Possibly you're right. I suppose with a higher definition and better screens anyway along with the cameras. You can see things so clear, I even saw Renaldo with a zit the other day

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Opposite at West Ham! Needed sunglasses- ridiculously bright!

At the grounds I find it a pain as we have to have the stands lit as well. Gone are the days where you watch from the dark, which made it so atmospheric.

Jul 7, 2003
I'm sure that we had to spend a fair bit of cash upgrading the lights at the Amex after we got to the Premier League as the ones we had for the Championship were not bright enough to meet the PL requirements.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'm sure that we had to spend a fair bit of cash upgrading the lights at the Amex after we got to the Premier League as the ones we had for the Championship were not bright enough to meet the PL requirements.

We did along with extra lights behind the goal. Seeing replays of our games when below the EPL the lighting appears far less balanced, almost harsh. Added to that I remember sitting in the WSU and when the screens showed mainly white for an advert etc it had a huge affect on the brightness of the pitch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here