Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] One of the big problems with VAR......

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
What an exhilarating moment when Maupay smashed it in in the 98th minute !

But was anyone else scared to fully celebrate for at least 10 - 15 seconds after the goal in case VAR decided that he was marginally offside or that there had been an infringement in the action before it got to him ?

I did go mad and join in with all the other mad folks around me but at the back of my mind there was VAR terror.

We all go to matches hoping for the rush of moments like this and, to me at least, VAR sucks some of the joy out.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I admitted it last night on the way home, whilst everyone else was 'limbing' it and rightly enjoying themselves, I strangely found myself watching the lino turn on his heels and sprint back to halfway, then I went a little crazy.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I looked straight to the lino to see him running back to the halfway line. I had seen their player drop back from the wall so immediately thought that it must be given.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Watching at home. I had no reaction at all as I was convinced it would be offside. Only on seeing the replay did I then see it was clearly onside and let out a little wee

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If honest my immediate thought was he had to be offside however the way the players reacted it was obvious both sets knew it was a goal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Decisions on play translate into profit or loss for corporate owners. It’s only going to get more technical and less spontaneous.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I was on a date and wanted to see the end result but noticed there was five minutes left of the extra time so I asked the girl if I could watch it. Turned into a bit of a scene as I first celebrated the goal by kissing her and then started waving my finger "NO! no! Lets not get happy until we deserve to be happy! THEY MIGHT TAKE IT AWAY FROM US! Never be happy!". She had no clue what it was all about but the people at the table next to us looked very worried and confused. Not until kickoff could I sit down and proclaim that the world is a perfect place and that we will all be happy ever after.

I hate VAR. This is the worst part of it I think. Football games are normally emotional rollercoasters, the goals should work as pure relief and ecstasy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I looked straight to the lino to see him running back to the halfway line. I had seen their player drop back from the wall so immediately thought that it must be given.

This…….JWP dropping back was so obviously noticeable. Also, whilst a few of the Saints players had their hands up appealing, JWP stood dejected….he knew, Maupay knew (his instant and wild celebration showed he was 100% sure - later confirmed in his interview post-match), and the lino knew.

I worry about VAR when we score most of the time, but didn’t yesterday………

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Decisions on play translate into profit or loss for corporate owners. It’s only going to get more technical and less spontaneous.

Which eaplins why us older generation football peeps are falling away and the new brainwashed yoof lapping it up

Corporate soccer sucks. I want mud and terraces.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
VAR has undoubtedly fkd football beyond recognition, wanky millimetre decisions in favour of the defending team when the whole object of the game is to score goals, not invent ridiculous rules to stop that happening.

I'm not bothered if we come out on top in the VAR stakes, I just want it gone,commentators gagging fir players to go down in the box rather than stay on their feet, wtf is that all about.

It's killing football, it's a completely different game to that played without it, and 100% I prefer the non VAR version.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Don't understand some people. You've got a problem if the first thing you think about when the ball hits the net is VAR. Personally, my reaction is to celebrate and once those initial 30 odd second are over I then think of VAR although from where we it seemed clear he wasn't offside.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A complete failure in the Villa vs Leicester game

Unless I've missed something, it wasn't. From the premier league thread

The Law says:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Seems pretty clear cut to me. As someone who had his fingers broken by a player trying to kick the ball while I had it in my hands (I caught it just before he got there, he would have been deemed to have had every right to go for it at the time this happened), I like this law.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
No such problems here, I was watching on IPTV and stupidly looking at the Matchday thread at the same time, so I had a good 3 minutes warning that a goal was coming.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I was on a date and wanted to see the end result but noticed there was five minutes left of the extra time so I asked the girl if I could watch it. Turned into a bit of a scene as I first celebrated the goal by kissing her and then started waving my finger "NO! no! Lets not get happy until we deserve to be happy! THEY MIGHT TAKE IT AWAY FROM US! Never be happy!". She had no clue what it was all about but the people at the table next to us looked very worried and confused. Not until kickoff could I sit down and proclaim that the world is a perfect place and that we will all be happy ever after.

I hate VAR. This is the worst part of it I think. Football games are normally emotional rollercoasters, the goals should work as pure relief and ecstasy.

On a date, having dinner and she let you watch it on your mobile on a dodgy stream? SHE IS A KEEPER!!!!! """

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here