Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you so much to the fan who helped my autistic son yesterday...

A really great and fascinating thread, one of the best on here for a while, well done to everyone sharing their stories. We've been so in the dark about neurodiversity until relatively recently but it really could be a massive game-changer about how we relate to each other in generations ahead

Dr Bandler

Dec 17, 2005
Peterborough
First off I dont think anyone knows if there's an actual increase in autism. It might be that lifestyles of the past made autistic people appear less autistic just like modern lifestyle could possibly make non-autistic people appear more autistic. And if there is an increase, it is very difficult to trace down the source: each year there's new chemicals added to the cocktail we consume whether we want it or not, new habits that might impact our brains, it could also be a case of social darwinism taking a new turn: 50 years you would reap the rewards of being in one way, 30 years later you would often be rewarded from being in another way with another set of skills. Its probably difficult if not impossible to find a cause if there is one.

That appears to be one of the factrors: https://chriskresser.com/methylation-and-autism/#The_Exposome_and_Autism.

As is often the case it is multi-factorial and not simple.

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
There is a company called Flare based in Lancing who make headphones and ear plugs. If you want something less obvious than ear defenders for him to wear but that take the edge off the noise, it might be worth having a look at these - https://www.flareaudio.com/collections/calmer/products/calmer-kids

Hopefully that will help his enjoyment of the Albion be even better (although I can't make us score more goals to excite him!)

My wife and I have just taken a look at these, one of the other issues he has is in class any talking by other kids, or noises, completely distract him to the point he can't hear the teacher. From the reviews on there, it could also help with that so this might actually be very very helpful, thank you!

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
A really great and fascinating thread, one of the best on here for a while, well done to everyone sharing their stories. We've been so in the dark about neurodiversity until relatively recently but it really could be a massive game-changer about how we relate to each other in generations ahead

In our house we have been saying for a long time that neurodiverse people have historically been expected to conform to "society norms" which is why they mask so much, which makes it hard to diagnose. But, it's actually society and neurotypicals who sometimes need to accept neurodiverse people as they are and not expect the conformity... attitudes are changing, and for the better.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
And the related condition, Aspergers goes undiagnosed. I wasn't identified as being 'on the spectrum' till I was 62 years old. When I was 7 my parents were told I may need to be put in the 'backward' class (I was bored, so I mucked about). Yet I went on to Grammar school, BSc, PhD, more than 100 peer reviewed research papers, etc etc. I can't read people very well, especially on an internet forum, but my imperative to fight injustice (against me, and against anyone, everyone and anything) keeps me . . . engaged. Otherwise I'd retreat into my own space.

A perhaps surprising number of NSC posters are on the spectrum. Testing out ideas in the relative anonymity and safe space of a curated forum? Perhaps.

Apologies if I've ever duffed you up in any way you consider unreasonable.

Could I be as bold Mr Tackle to ask 2 questions, what did you get your BSc in and are you or your younger brother left handed? ( I suspect the answer for you is no as your composition and comprehension is Premier league).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Could I be as bold Mr Tackle to ask 2 questions, what did you get your BSc in and are you or your younger brother left handed? ( I suspect the answer for you is no as your composition and comprehension is Premier league).

You may. Pharmacology. No and No.

And Microsoft Word and Google are my friends :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here