Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Who do you think would be a good option as a spinner? Leach was slogged all over the place, Ali has retired. Bess isn't good enough. Rashid or Virdi perhaps?

Rashid won't play Test cricket will he? He'd almost certainly be a pick wouldn't he if he was available?

Why pick Leach at all first test? If you're prepared to leave Broad and Jimmy out for Leach, then drop him on a pitch more suited to him - it's just more evidence of crazy thinking by England. How does Burns retain his place when Leach is immediately dropped when he was thrown to the lions in the first test? It's shocking captaincy all round in my book.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I’d prefer to have Bill and Ben the flower pot men opening than Hameed and Burns, at this point we might as well open with Root, by himself, then as soon as he gets out just call it there.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Rashid won't play Test cricket will he? He'd almost certainly be a pick wouldn't he if he was available?

Why pick Leach at all first test? If you're prepared to leave Broad and Jimmy out for Leach, then drop him on a pitch more suited to him - it's just more evidence of crazy thinking by England. How does Burns retain his place when Leach is immediately dropped when he was thrown to the lions in the first test? It's shocking captaincy all round in my book.

Agreed on both points, although it was a genuine question! Our spinners at the moment are simply not test standard.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My abiding memory of 02/03 Ashes is that the first three Tests were finished by Saturday. The third test started on a Friday and still was won by Saturday. We are not as bad as that tour, believe me.

If only England could be as good as they were in Sydney.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
My abiding memory of 02/03 Ashes is that the first three Tests were finished by Saturday. The third test started on a Friday and still was won by Saturday. We are not as bad as that tour, believe me.

I saw us in the 98/9 tour when we were dreadful - got a draw in Brisbane due to the weather and lost the rest. We had a tail starting at about number 7 and Tufnell, Such, Mullally as 3 walking wickets from 9 - 11. I went to the Adelaide test too, booked my flight home for day 5 with the thought that there was no hope for us lasting that long! I kept seeing the players in hotels, airports etc and they all looked as miserable as ****.

Didn’t go to the 2002/3 tour but went to NZ instead for some of the ODIs, including one when we were all out for about 75 in Wellington (iirc)!

Went to Perth/Melbourne/Sydney for the last 3 of the 5-0 drubbing when Freddie was captain in 2006/7. All looked good when Collingwood got his double hundred at Adelaide but the Ashes were lost within days of me arriving!

The best trip by far was 2010/11 when I saw us get a draw in Brisbane and tonk them in Adelaide. Again I was on the same internal flight as the team, they all looked much more upbeat and confident then!

Then I also went to Melbourne/Sydney in 2013/14 and Perth/Melbourne in 2017/18 where at least I saw Cook’s double hundred at the MCG and some great batting from Bairstow and Malan in Perth but we still managed to lose that one.

So adding it up, I reckon I have seen us in 11 away Ashes tests with my sorry record being 1 win, 2 draws and 8 defeats - had planned to go again this time but probably just as well I didn’t go!

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Some of that is probably true - sport is a massive part of Aussie culture. But the fact is, the only people who play rugby union in Australia are people whose parents paid for their education (and that isn't the case in various rugby hotbeds of England), so it wouldn't surprise me if their cricket was similar.

From what I've heard it's a bit of an inverse situation out there. Cricket is more of a working class sport, along with AFL and Rugby league.

I've posted about this before but a friend of mine was in the sussex system when we were at school, he was a very good fast bower. I always remember him telling me that you couldn't get a game unless you went to public school and there were a few very good state school kids missing out and then leaving the system because they were disillusioned.

D

Deleted member 2719

I never been a cricket fan despite the family tree telling me we have been pretty good at it.
But when it comes to England and the ashes, I do get a little bit excited as Botham aroused my interest as a kid, plus I used to play with a couple of public school kids on their garden, swapping who were the Aussies.

So I know diddly squat about this sport technically.

But I switched on to see our boys taking an absolute beasting.

Can some one keep it clear in a couple of sentences why the feck are they making us look like schoolboys???

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I never been a cricket fan despite the family tree telling me we have been pretty good at it.
But when it comes to England and the ashes, I do get a little bit excited as Botham aroused my interest as a kid, plus I used to play with a couple of public school kids on their garden, swapping who were the Aussies.

So I know diddly squat about this sport technically.

But I switched on to see our boys taking an absolute beasting.

Can some one keep it clear in a couple of sentences why the feck are they making us look like schoolboys???

They hate losing but mostly they hate losing to the Poms, I was lucky enough to watch the 2010-11 MCG game live, the Aussie papers ripped them apart after the first day...

Anyway Malan and Root appear to have lost the plot here, both have fifties. 139-2

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well that was a pleasant session.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Entertaining session, 4 an over. Both batters very positive, Malan riding his luck a bit.

I can't decide whether I'm an insomniac because one can access great sports coverage 24/7, or whether that's just a bonus for the aging insomniac I've inevitably become.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Entertaining session, 4 an over. Both batters very positive, Malan riding his luck a bit.

I can't decide whether I'm an insomniac because one can access great sports coverage 24/7, or whether that's just a bonus for the aging insomniac I've inevitably become.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

My working hours are flexible so I've been working through the night. I have two monitors. One currently used for cricket.

I like being an insomniac. Only one sleep till Christmas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here