Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Ashes 2021-22

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Got Thursday and Friday off, really looking forward to the series.

I don't know why but I'm quite optimistic, bordering on deluded!

If we can make it out of the gabbatior at 0-0 because in a rain affected draw its game on IMHO!

La Nina is a huge factor, England actually have a good record when it's played in a la nina year. I've got the stats on my laptop, will post next time I'm on.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
5-0, maybe 4-0 if one of the games is rain affected and our batsmen are actually able to bat for 90 overs in a single innings.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ordinarily I’d have Ashes fever but it seems I’ve been double jabbed and am struggling to catch it. Waking up on Wednesday morning to us being all out for 160 and them 150-1 might well be the booster.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
A good place to bet on England getting a result is Sydney.

They've lost the last couple, but it is probably their most successful overseas ground.

Back in 2002 I made a bit of money at the bookies there. England were 9/1 in a dead rubber playing an Aussie team without McGrath and Warne. Probably the silliest odds I have ever seen a bookie offer. Aussies were trounced.

I'm getting excited about it. No better site in sport than an Aussie batsman heading back to the pavilion.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Ordinarily I’d have Ashes fever but it seems I’ve been double jabbed and am struggling to catch it. Waking up on Wednesday morning to us being all out for 160 and them 150-1 might well be the booster.
I'll never forget the "Ashes fever" I had in winter 2006/7, 18 months after the greatest test series I'd ever seen.

I'd paid for Sky, dozens of my mates had done the same, and we were all up at around 2am waiting for the first ball at Brisbane. Then Steve Harmison bowled the first ball about 10 feet wide of off stump and two hours later the Aussies were loads for none and the scene for a truly crap series had been set.

Never again will I have "Ashes fever" for an away series. I may watch a few hours on BT Sport though, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Reckon we will lose 3-0, we will have the better of a draw in one of the other games, with the other match being a washout.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'll never forget the "Ashes fever" I had in winter 2006/7, 18 months after the greatest test series I'd ever seen.

I'd paid for Sky, dozens of my mates had done the same, and we were all up at around 2am waiting for the first ball at Brisbane. Then Steve Harmison bowled the first ball about 10 feet wide of off stump and two hours later the Aussies were loads for none and the scene for a truly crap series had been set.

Never again will I have "Ashes fever" for an away series. I may watch a few hours on BT Sport though, but I'm not holding out any hope.

Reckon we will lose 3-0, we will have the better of a draw in one of the other games, with the other match being a washout.

I remember listening to that on the radio and cheered when Aggers said "Harmison bowls...and it's gone straight to second slip!" because I naturally assumed that would have been via the bat. It was only when I realised absolutely nobody was getting excited it dawned on me what had just happened.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Ashes tours played in La Nina years, post Bradman era.

Years Host First matc Tests Australia England Drawn Result
2010–11 Australia 25-Nov-10 5 1 3 1 England
1998–99 Australia 20-Nov-98 5 3 1 1 Australia
1974–75 Australia 29-Nov-74 6 4 1 1 Australia
1970–71 Australia 27-Nov-70 6 (7) 0 2 4 England
1954–55 Australia 26-Nov-54 5 1 3 1 England

*edit* FFS it takes all the spaces out, spent ages formatting that :facepalm:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Not really feeling it at the moment, I think we’re in for a hammering. That said I think Olly Robinson should do well out there.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I had similar excitement. I remember they televised a tour match that year on Sky, I stayed up and watched us get smashed in an ODI against the prime minister's XI :nono:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
12 man squad announced earlier. Good to see Pope in, he's a much better player than Bairstow. Who do we think misses out?

I really hope it's not Leach as 5 right arm seamers is a mistake. I think they'll want Broads experience so that leaves Wood or Woakes to miss out IMHO. Personally I'd play Wood.

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
12 man squad announced earlier. Good to see Pope in, he's a much better player than Bairstow. Who do we think misses out?

I really hope it's not Leach as 5 right arm seamers is a mistake. I think they'll want Broads experience so that leaves Wood or Woakes to miss out IMHO. Personally I'd play Wood.

Joe Root (c), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Jos Buttler (wk), Haseeb Hameed, Jack Leach, Dawid Malan, Ollie Pope, Ollie Robinson, Ben Stokes, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood

Agreed. One of Leach, Wood and Woakes to be left out, with Broad as an outside chance. I'd go for Woakes.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
With a heavy heart, it's Broad that I wouldn't play.

Wood, has the extra pace and Woakes just has something about him. Broad i'm certain will play a role in the series

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I'd prefer Woakes in the team over Broad but reckon Woakes will miss this one and play in the Pink ball day nighters.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Absolutely gutted it's starting on a Wednesday. Unfortunately got to be in the office in London tomorrow, so no all-nighter and WFH tomorrow for me tonight. Might set the alarm an hour earlier so I can watch a bit before traipsing off to the station.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'm not sure I'd play Leach. He's not a very good spinner IMO, and apparently this isn't expected to be a spinner friendly wicket. Personally I *would* go for five seamers.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Sadly can’t see anything other than a 3-1 or 4-1 defeat. We will start slowly after poor preparations and maybe get one win back in the last two tests.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Only hope is the weather meaning we squeak a draw out of this test and we make the most of the kinder conditions at the d/n test in Adelaide. Forecast doesn't look quite so grim in Brisbane but still likely to be interruptions on all of the first 3 days.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
England win the toss and elect to be all out by tea

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Certainly a tricky 1st hour coming up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions