Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Starting eleven plus subs for the Tottenham game

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I thought he looked well off the pace. :shrug:

In all honesty he always has been. He and Gross could have a 100m race and you'll have time to cook a roast dinner before they finished

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
When is Bissouma’s hearing?

Not wishing to pick on you or this post, and completely off topic, but I’m a firm believer that basic legal knowledge should be taught at school. The amount of people who post on social media about things they believe to be true or read in papers is troubling.

The difference between arrested, bail, hearings, trials etc is a big thing and most of what is written about legal issues is hyperbole or just plain wrong. More people with knowledge would mean the papers and socials would not get away with it.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Naylor mentioned that club regard Moder as an emergency centre back a while ago. I'm not up for trawling to find the particular quote though.

And who would have thought with our recent wealth of centre backs that we now find ourselves in somewhat of an emergency.

If Joel is out then Moder coming in along with Roberts in a 3 with Burn wouldn't be a complete disaster... would it? :wozza:

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I thought it was strange to see Dunk at the game if he was injured. Why travel unless the injury was picked up just before the squad was announced.
Hopefully it’s not too bad. Time will tell I guess but we could certainly do with Webster back ASAP, in Dunk’s absence, to add to the ball playing capability of the CBs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I understand it's now considered to be a progressive idea to have a senior player-coach with the U23s (no, I'm not sure if t is either, but people who know far more than I do about football, development and coaching think it's a good idea, so I'll go along with it!) but on the evidence of the last few matches, Dicker just isn't good enough for our U23 team.

Wonder of the senior player-coach role would be better applied to the U18s?

He isnt really there to be "good enough", he is there to show them what he has learnt from 480+ professional games, which isnt really how to make a nice pass or dribble the opponent (as a coach with limited experience could help you with that) but more about the mentality things. Like in a scenario where Brighton U23 are 2-0 up and some player is caught napping or chatting about some bollocks, Dicker is there to tell him that he is a **** that needs to focus because on the professional level you get ****ed over if you are 2-0 up and think you've already won the game.

I thought it was strange to see Dunk at the game if he was injured. Why travel unless the injury was picked up just before the squad was announced.
Hopefully it’s not too bad. Time will tell I guess but we could certainly do with Webster back ASAP, in Dunk’s absence, to add to the ball playing capability of the CBs.

As a captain, leader and long time Brighton player he is most likely a very important part in the off-field dynamics. Maybe GP & the staff were worried that losing this ever-present player not only on the pitch but also in the travelling squad / dressing room would just be too unusual and unnatural not to have any impact.

Obviously agree it is hopefully not too bad.

Last edited:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
This is exactly what he said. “We’re still assessing the [knee injury], it’s his lateral meniscus , we’re still assessing the overall extent of it, but not overly positive”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0b4hbhq ( about 41.30)

I heard this as well, I don't know why people on here aren't paying much attention to what the gaffer said. I'm not an expert by any means but there are, of course, a range of meniscus injuries. The best case scenario for a minor one would be 4-6 weeks. A serious tear would mean the rest of the season :nono:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Not wishing to pick on you or this post, and completely off topic, but I’m a firm believer that basic legal knowledge should be taught at school. The amount of people who post on social media about things they believe to be true or read in papers is troubling.

The difference between arrested, bail, hearings, trials etc is a big thing and most of what is written about legal issues is hyperbole or just plain wrong. More people with knowledge would mean the papers and socials would not get away with it.

Are you a politician ? Answer the question !

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
He isnt really there to be "good enough", he is there to show them what he has learnt from 480+ professional games, which isnt really how to make a nice pass or dribble the opponent (as a coach with limited experience could help you with that) but more about the mentality things. Like in a scenario where Brighton U23 are 2-0 up and some player is caught napping or chatting about some bollocks, Dicker is there to tell him that he is a **** that needs to focus because on the professional level you get ****ed over if you are 2-0 up and think you've already won the game.

Yes, realise there is al sorts of stuff behind the thinking of playing an over-age player-coach. Nonetheless, Dicker is a weak link in the U23s.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I understand it's now considered to be a progressive idea to have a senior player-coach with the U23s (no, I'm not sure if t is either, but people who know far more than I do about football, development and coaching think it's a good idea, so I'll go along with it!) but on the evidence of the last few matches, Dicker just isn't good enough for our U23 team.

Wonder of the senior player-coach role would be better applied to the U18s?

Not for me having watched a few games. It’s all about game management and education- he’s there to tell them what to do. Looks to be working from what I’ve seen.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not for me having watched a few games. It’s all about game management and education- he’s there to tell them what to do. Looks to be working from what I’ve seen.

The team's certainly working well. Is that because Dicker is coaching them on the field? I don't know - I'm just a (reasonably intelligent) fan who watches football, but in the full knowledge that the people working in the game are seeing it at a far deeper level than I ever will. Just watching the U23s, I'm thinking he looks like a weak link in the team. Is there more to it than that? - yes, quite possibly!
Time will tell - will playing an over-age player-coach become the norm - or will it just turn out to be a passing fad of the 2020s?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The team's certainly working well. Is that because Dicker is coaching them on the field? I don't know - I'm just a (reasonably intelligent) fan who watches football, but in the full knowledge that the people working in the game are seeing it at a far deeper level than I ever will. Just watching the U23s, I'm thinking he looks like a weak link in the team. Is there more to it than that? - yes, quite possibly!
Time will tell - will playing an over-age player-coach become the norm - or will it just turn out to be a passing fad of the 2020s?

100% he’s coaching them on the field…very vocal. I guess it’s a trade-off between lack of mobility and the benefit of experience, but accepting he’s taking the place of another potential midfielder. Obviously a clear strategy (or fad as you say) at the moment.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I remember Allen Robinson walking off for the Jags in our AFCC game season. He never saw the field again in a Jags uniform.

Don’t know much about the circumstances of this guy’s injury, but it sounds like he was in no state to carry on playing in the game after he’d done it. Dunk didn’t even go down and need the physio on and was still throwing himself into tackles and jumping to defend corners deep into injury time. There’s surely no way he could’ve been doing that with a knackered ACL, is there?

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .
I’m thinking the fact that Dunk was shown in the crowd at St Mary’s means that the injury was picked up late, after we’d travelled, which would indicate he was still training after the West Ham game and was expected to play against Southampton. There is no way Dunk would have travelled with the squad if we’d known he wasn’t going to play, he’d have stayed home and rested.

That’s another straw of optimism to grasp. As you say, it would seem very strange for non-playing players to travel and expose themselves to an unnecessary COVID risk.

Having the 2 Keepers on the bench does suggest it was a very late injury.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here