[Albion] Starting eleven plus subs for the Tottenham game

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Dunk out for rest of the year 'at least'

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I agree. Burn very good on the ball and yes has stuck some decent crosses in when venturing forward

I disagree that he's better than Dunk and Webster (and possibly Lawro, i'm too young to know) as a ball player. They are invaluable at the back, if they were put out of position at wing back, they would do a competent job. As Burn has.

I'm hoping to see Burn nail down that position at LCB rather than LWB. Huge competition for places when all fit of course.

Burn has generally been excellent for us at CB when played there. On Saturday he probably suffered from Dunk not being next to him, and his passes that were intercepted were just not really on, there was to much risk in them - they were the kind of passes he would be trying to make as a wing back, but need to be safer as a CB.

It's part of the risk of putting a good ball player in such a critical position, they try and play tricky passes they would make 90% of the time whereas that success rate just won't do as a CB, you have to be safer. That's where Dunk and Webster excel.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That’ll be 2022 written off too then.

I know this is the standard joke for when injury recovery times are estimated but its pretty rare for them these days to be wrong apart from the odd couple which everyone remembers where there's complications (eg: Lamptey). and there the ones that you remember. Brighton have dozens of injuries a season.

The other players who have been injured this season have come back training or to the squad either on time or earlier than expected (Webster, Burn, Maupay, Welbeck) .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Option 1: 4-4-2 diamond

Sanchez

Lamptey, Veltman, Burn, Cucurella

Bissouma

Gross, Moder

Trossard

Connolly, Maupay

Option 2: 3-4-3

Sanchez

Veltman, Moder, Burn

Lamptey, Bissouma, Gross, Cucurella

March, Maupay, Trossard

Different formations with different strengths.

Lots of people have Roberts in their starting lineups but I find it very doubtful. He has no PL experience, he is not match fit, he wont have Dunk, Webster and Duffy to help him and he would be up against Kane and Son in his first ever PL game... I just dont think it will happen. Probably going to see him at some point in the next few weeks but I dont think it will be on Sunday.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Option 1: 4-4-2 diamond

Sanchez

Bissouma

Gross, Moder

Trossard

Connolly, Maupay

Option 2: 3-4-3

Sanchez

Veltman, Moder, Burn

Lamptey, Bissouma, Gross, Cucurella

March, Maupay, Trossard

Different formations with different strengths.

Lots of people have Roberts in their starting lineups but I find it very doubtful. He has no PL experience, he is not match fit, he wont have Dunk, Webster and Duffy to help him and he would be up against Kane and Son in his first ever PL game... I just dont think it will happen. Probably going to see him at some point in the next few weeks but I dont think it will be on Sunday.

If he decides to go with Option 1, then absolutely fair enough.

If he goes with Option 2 (three at the back) and STILL doesn't play Roberts (playing a midfielder out of position instead) then Roberts will be on to his agent, pushing for a permanent move in January - and rightly so.

If he isn't in consideration for one of THREE centre back slots, when all THREE first choice picks are unavailable, then he really shouldn't be here, wasting his time.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

If he goes with Option 2 (three at the back) and STILL doesn't play Roberts (playing a midfielder out of position instead) then Roberts will be on to his agent, pushing for a permanent move in January - and rightly so.

If he isn't in consideration for one of THREE centre back slots, when all THREE first choice picks are unavailable, then he really shouldn't be here, wasting his time.

It would be a really difficult debut for such a youngster, Potter would want to see him play in a back 3 with experience around him. We may opt for a 4-4-2 with Connolly trying to stretch the play and exploit some dodgy centrebacks. I'd expect something like
Sanchez
March, Bissouma, Moder, Trossard
Maupay, Connolly

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think you will find Roberts when on loan struggled with physical side at CB and was put to LB

He was only just 18 when he started playing for Rochdale, FFS! Even now he's only a few months older than Turns and Tsoungui in the U23s - all born in 2002.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Nonsense. There's no way Dunk or Webster could do half of the intricate passing and other ball play Burn has shown us down the wing.

Dunk has got a nice long ball and simple controlled passing along the back, but rarely attempts tight passing under pressure or anything more complicated than giving it to Bissouma or Lallana in space. Never makes a mistake when he does that. Burn has excellent close control, ability to play one twos in tight situations, shown us a decent cross on occasion, and so on.

In a nutshell, i could never see Dunk or Webster being able to play wing back

But hey, all opinions :)

Webster and Dunk are both brilliant carriers of the ball. Webster can, and has, played right back.

Dunk is the best centre half we have. Why would we ever play him out of position. A good indication of Dunk’s quality in the ball is that cross he put in earlier in the season, ironically enough for Burn.

In terms of the best ball playing centre half we’ve had, look no further than Ben White.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
It would be a really difficult debut for such a youngster, Potter would want to see him play in a back 3 with experience around him. We may opt for a 4-4-2 with Connolly trying to stretch the play and exploit some dodgy centrebacks. I'd expect something like
Sanchez
March, Bissouma, Moder, Trossard
Maupay, Connolly

I’d expect something like this, and a very cautious approach to the game from us

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

If Roberts were to come in and play alongside two from Dunk, Webster and Veltman, I think he would be fine. Playing along side Dan Burn, they are really going to have to work on this one in training. I suspect it will be Moder starting at centre back. Dan Burns tight close control belies his height, when he is out on the touchline. Playing out from centre back he looks more ponderous. The extra fraction of a second he needs, puts the receiving player under just a little more pressure receiving the pass. With Burn and Roberts both looking to go left and then look for an inside ball to a right footed colleague, there is an awful lot that can go wrong here. Roberts' time will come.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I’d expect something like this, and a very cautious approach to the game from us

It doesn't look at all cautious to me! Very weak at the back - I'm much happier with Lamptey and Cucu playing as wingbacks rather than full backs. Plus including Maupay, Trossard and Connolly is hardly defensive!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here