Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potterball - Tactical analysis

Hendrax

Jan 23, 2013
Worthing
In the attacking phase they build up patiently. In fact, Brighton are the slowest team in the league at progressing the ball up the pitch, as they average just*1.04*metres per second of progression.

The quote above, I believe, is the reason we really struggle to break teams down.

On the rare occasion we up the tempo a bit we look like Barcelona of old. It really does frustrate me and I would love to know the reason why we are so pedestrian in possession/attack.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In the attacking phase they build up patiently. In fact, Brighton are the slowest team in the league at progressing the ball up the pitch, as they average just*1.04*metres per second of progression.

The quote above, I believe, is the reason we really struggle to break teams down.

On the rare occasion we up the tempo a bit we look like Barcelona of old. It really does frustrate me and I would love to know the reason why we are so pedestrian in possession/attack.

Mainly because of fewer players that can carry the ball past the opposition.

When defenders like Duffy, Dunk and Veltman have the ball, they need to find a player between the lines. If there are none, they have to pass it to eachother and look again. Thats why things go quicker with Webster and Maupay in the side: with Webster he can either carry the ball past one line, or at least the opponents know he can do it meaning they cant just zone out midfielders. With Neal Maupay in the side instead of a false nine there is another option and another opponent line that must be coordinated to stop Brighton. Even if the midfielders might be zoned off, their defenders might not be able to cover all passing routes to the Maup.

In most teams playing in a similar fashion to Brighton, you have ten players who are superior to the opponents and can either carry the ball or find spaces no one else can see.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Wow didn't have time to notice all that as I clung to the edge of my seat. We do seem very slow in the build up when something quicker and more incisive might feel better to me in the stands. Sanchez is also a sometime risky libero, not a great fan of one-twos in the six yard box!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Wow didn't have time to notice all that as I clung to the edge of my seat. We do seem very slow in the build up when something quicker and more incisive might feel better to me in the stands. Sanchez is also a sometime risky libero, not a great fan of one-twos in the six yard box!

ought to mix it up a bit. Slow, slow. quick

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
FLeETD_X0AAzUfj.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here