Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25 years ago today

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Also 25 years ago today Richard Vaughn wrote his suggestion for a Fans United game.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Crikey, half the wins of all our rivals, a negative GD of triple theirs.

What a turnaround orchestrated by Gritt!
Also remarkable that it wasn't GD that was the tie-breaker that year, else we would have been out of the League, homeless and almost certainly in administration.

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So sad that effectively Gritty was little more than a half season wonder at the Albion, and that he couldn't keep the heroics going at the outpost that was Gillingham.

Still let's all just be forever grateful for what he did for our club, and salute him for the legend that he undoubtably is.

A similar story for Russell Slade.

Loved the L1 Houdini run, great bloke.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
Sat down in the middle of the Old Shoreham Rd after this match with a bunch of others (anyone?!) then there was a crowd baying for the blood of Archer & Belotti outside the West Stand and a window got smashed. The ground already sold, we feared it was the end, a real low point, but an evening I often refer to if a football chat turns to the Albion's troubles of the past and the amazing rise from the ashes.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
Why? I appreciate that us older fans (I've been watching the Albion since 1966) will always look back at that era and marvel at the transformation, but there is a generation of fans now who look back on the 'war years' with almost the same detachment as they look back at the Napoleonic era.

My neighbour and his sons are a good example. They're Amex STHs but only did they not go to the Goldstone or Gillingham - they didn't even go to Withdean. He's a Forest fan who did try to get his boys to follow in his footsteps, but swept along by the general enthusiasm when the Amex opened they wanted to follow their local club and he gave in. Their sole experience is the Amex era and they have different points of reference to me. Indeed if I try and talk to them about Archer etc their eyes glaze over and they try to get away from the mad old man next door banging on about the War.

Annoying isnt it ?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
So sad that effectively Gritty was little more than a half season wonder at the Albion, and that he couldn't keep the heroics going at the outpost that was Gillingham.

Still let's all just be forever grateful for what he did for our club, and salute him for the legend that he undoubtably is.

Yes, I wrote to him after his dismissal and received the following reply -

B5D2AC26-3201-483E-B036-415701FCDCF0.jpeg

That was dated 15 March 1998.

What a nice bloke he is.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Sat down in the middle of the Old Shoreham Rd after this match with a bunch of others (anyone?!) then there was a crowd baying for the blood of Archer & Belotti outside the West Stand and a window got smashed. The ground already sold, we feared it was the end, a real low point, but an evening I often refer to if a football chat turns to the Albion's troubles of the past and the amazing rise from the ashes.

Me too! In fact the one piece of law breaking l did in the cause of my football club . . . or any other cause actually.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Wonderful, l hope you cherish that letter. It says a lot about the man to acknowledge a letter from a fan, after he has been dismissed by his employer.

Yes, I’ve kept it safe for all this time. It ain’t going anywhere and will hopefully be treasured by my eldest son who also bleeds blue and white.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here