Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Female commentator on west. ham Brighton game.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I can think of five in the Premier League v us and a couple equal to it.

Crystal Palace has as many letter as West Ham United.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sexism is never or was in my mind at all.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

It probably wasn't, but 'female' commentator is a bit pointy. It's just the commentator.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Yup. The commentator was perfectly fine. :shrug:

No idea why the thread title references the fact that the commentator was female. Had Guy Mowbray made that observation, can't believe the thread would have read "Male Commentator on West Ham vs Brighton game."

Assuming you missed the start of the game like I did, and you didn't realise it was Matty Upson with the male voice, where you have two discintly different voices, one female, one male, would it not be obvious to use their gender as a distinguishing factor? Maybe you saw it the other way because you were looking for it?

Using your example, again assuming you didn't know who the commentators were, and opposite Guy was a female summariser, you don't think the title would have been "Male Commentator on West Ham vs Brighton game."?

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

No idea why the thread title references the fact that the commentator was female. Had Guy Mowbray made that observation, can't believe the thread would have read "Male Commentator on West Ham vs Brighton game."

Well she certainly couldn't have been worse than Jonathan Pearce who covered the match for the BBC, who has always seemed to me to be inordinately anti Albion in his commentaries.

He seems to get the gig quite often, particularly for games at the Amex. I believe he lives locally, despite being a self confessed Bristol City fan.

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Sexism is never or was in my mind at all.

Possibly not. But that doesn't mean it wasn't sexist. Would you have said "Male commentator on West Ham Brighton game" if it wasn't pertinent to the point you wanted to make?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Possibly not. But that doesn't mean it wasn't sexist. Would you have said "Male commentator on West Ham Brighton game" if it wasn't pertinent to the point you wanted to make?

Why on earth is it sexist? If two people, one male and the other female, are talking and I don't know either of names, it is perfectly reasonable to differentiate between them by stating "the female one said such and such"

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Yes I would particularly when 2 commentators

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
Why on earth is it sexist? If two people, one male and the other female, are talking and I don't know either of names, it is perfectly reasonable to differentiate between them by stating "the female one said such and such"

Yes I would particularly when 2 commentators

The gender is completely irrelevant to the point the OP wants to make. If you can't see that then I'm sorry yes, you are sexist. He could have simply said "one of the commentators" or even try and find out their name.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
There is no need for the word female there at all. When the word commentator is used, people immediactely think of the play by play commentator and the colour commentator (sometimes but rarely called analyst) is usually called Co-commentator. So saying female commentator has a small amount of internal misogyny, even if unintended.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Or, "And who can forget the look of disappointment on Lionel Blair's face as he was denied the opportunity to use his mouth on The Young Boys Of Bern vs The Grasshoppers of Zurich?"

But he certainly came up smiling after he was given enough time to gesticulate the Crewe Alexandra Academy.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Nothing wrong with saying ‘Female Commentator’.

If only to differentiate between Robyn Cowan and the great Jonathon Pierce who many would have listened to during Match of the day.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

I don’t get this I really don’t. Sky had a commentator as did the BBC….

So he should have said, ‘ The commentator who did the live coverage for Amazon Primes coverage’ …. should he ?

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Well said. This thread seems to have attracted a few woke snowflakes. Really is laughable.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
The joy of Amazon Football coverage is that you can mute the commentators and enjoy the atmosphere and game on its own.

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020

We live in such enlightened times, don't we, quite pathetic really!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well she certainly couldn't have been worse than Jonathan Pearce who covered the match for the BBC, who has always seemed to me to be inordinately anti Albion in his commentaries.

He seems to get the gig quite often, particularly for games at the Amex. I believe he lives locally, despite being a self confessed Bristol City fan.

I always find him mostly sympathetic to our cause, perhaps because his sons are season-ticket holders.

On the subject of the original post, I miss the days when we used to play Bournemouth and Boscombe Athletic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here