Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 4-6/12/21

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Interesting the number of draws this season (not just us!)....almost 20% more drawn matches, compared to same stage last season. And last season only one club had drawn more than 5 games (us, obviously)....whereas this season SIX clubs have drawn more than 5 games. Possibly indicates a tighter league...?

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Interesting the number of draws this season (not just us!)....almost 20% more drawn matches, compared to same stage last season. And last season only one club had drawn more than 5 games (us, obviously)....whereas this season SIX clubs have drawn more than 5 games. Possibly indicates a tighter league...?

Certainly. The top 6 are in two parts, the mis-firing ones and the nots with West ham bridging the gap.

Bottom 3 same points haul and no club adrift.

The remainder? A couple of decent results in succession and you can ride relatively high.

Us keeping the points ticking over with all these draws is no bad thing overall, but frustrating on a match by match basis.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Certainly. The top 6 are in two parts, the mis-firing ones and the nots with West ham bridging the gap.

Bottom 3 same points haul and no club adrift.

The remainder? A couple of decent results in succession and you can ride relatively high.

Us keeping the points ticking over with all these draws is no bad thing overall, but frustrating on a match by match basis.

The cranky thing is the goal difference only top four are positive.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
This fan responding to a club post gave me a chuckle.

[tweet]1467534067172352015[/tweet]

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I hope no Dirty Leeds fans celebrated their 95th minute equaliser, cos Palace fans reckon it’s either embarrassing, tinpot or just plain wrong.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well, moving many games today has backfired a bit hasn't it? Fair enough avoid a clash with the womens' FA cup but I feel really sorry for the long travelling Brentford, ManUre and Norwich fans that would probably have preferred the original Saturday 3.00pm listing.

And what a fukken treat later, Villa v Leicester. I can't wait.

Not a bad game to watch so far to be fair……

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Leicester playing well, that famous Villa Park atmosphere keeping them in it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Crap decision……Ramsey had every right to kick that.

But correct decision according to the rules ?

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when: the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Law says:

A goalkeeper is considered to be in control of the ball with the hand(s) when:

• the ball is between the hands or between the hand and any surface (e.g. ground, own body) or by touching it with any part of the hands or arms except if the ball rebounds from the goalkeeper or the goalkeeper has made a save
  • holding the ball in the outstretched open hand
  • bouncing it on the ground or throwing it in the air
A goalkeeper cannot be challenged by an opponent when in control of the ball with the hand(s).

https://www.thefa.com/football-rule.../football-11-11/law-12---fouls-and-misconduct

Seems pretty clear cut to me. As someone who had his fingers broken by a player trying to kick the ball while I had it in my hands (I caught it just before he got there, he would have been deemed to have had every right to go for it at the time this happened), I like this law.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I guess so but another ‘modern’ decision only able to be made with a super slo-mo replay. 1/12th of a second.

I'll politely disagree. The goalkeeper clearly knew the rules which is why he deliberately placed his hand on the ball like that.

Souness now saying "the goalkeeper has got away with it", then admitting he didn't know the rules.

I'm constantly amazed how many players and pundits don't know the rules inside out - "Last man", "one hand on the ball" etc...

It's their profession.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'll politely disagree. The goalkeeper clearly knew the rules which is why he deliberately placed his hand on the ball like that.

Souness now saying "the goalkeeper has got away with it", then admitting he didn't know the rules.

I'm constantly amazed how many players and pundits don't know the rules inside out - "Last man", "one hand on the ball" etc...

It's their profession.

That’s fair….at least I’ve learned something today. Brilliant work by Schmeichel then, basically (rather than the mistake the pundits said it was)

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

It's their profession.

Did he though? It looked to me like he tried for a free kick by pretending his hand was kicked.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Did he though, It looked to me like he tried for a free kick by pretending his hand was kicked.

Subsequently and (in that way that players do), alerting the ref to something else :)

It's completely irrelevant whether his hand was kicked or not. Kasper Schmeichel clearly knew what he needed to do

The ball was under the control of the goalkeeper and the ref got the decision 100% correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here