Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Ronaldo hits 800

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Love him or loath him, got to admire his ability and professionalism to be the first player to score 800 top level goals.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59514549

Number 800 and 801 came in his 1097th game. Very impressive return.

I remember an interview Gareth Bale did after arriving at RM where he said that on the first day, he thought he'd turn up extra early just to settle. When he got there, Ronaldo was already on the pitch practing free kicks and would always be the first player to arrive for training and the last to leave.

The famous Coke / drink water episode epitomises his thoughts on looking after yourself. Can think of a few players who should take note.

https://youtu.be/x2ZLS1V3iMw

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
Love him or loath him, got to admire his ability and professionalism to be the first player to score 800 top level goals.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59514549

Number 800 and 801 came in his 1097th game. Very impressive return.

I remember an interview Gareth Bale did after arriving at RM where he said that on the first day, he thought he'd turn up extra early just to settle. When he got there, Ronaldo was already on the pitch practing free kicks and would always be the first player to arrive for training and the last to leave.

The famous Coke / drink water episode epitomises his thoughts on looking after yourself. Can think of a few players who should take note.

https://youtu.be/x2ZLS1V3iMw

Not a big fan as he instinctively makes my skin crawl. Unarguably a football great, though. And that coca-cola incident was fantastic - that single, wordless gesture will have given millions of kids around the globe a healthy lifestyle lesson no amount of classroom teaching will have done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was sceptical of Manure signing him and keep thinking surely at some point he'll be past it

The guy is sub-human, 37 in February...

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I think he's the best of all time. My mate put it in context the other year when Salah had that amazing first year at Liverpool. He said, "If Salah does that every year for the next 15 years then he'll be close to what Ronaldo has done". There are very few players who have been able to sustain that incredible level throughout their career.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does anyone remember the one that was a header where he jumped really high?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I remember Glenn Murray commenting on how well Bruno looked after himself and how that inspired him to help prolong his own career. Imagine having Ronaldo as an example to look up to at a club of what is takes to be the very best.

The guy is a machine and you have to respect the talent, work rate and dedication to reaching and maintaining his level as one of the best ever.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I remember Glenn Murray commenting on how well Bruno looked after himself and how that inspired him to help prolong his own career. Imagine having Ronaldo as an example to look up to at a club of what is takes to be the very best.

The guy is a machine and you have to respect the talent, work rate and dedication to reaching and maintaining his level as one of the best ever.

This. I was comparing his career to the late great George Best. Best retired at Ronnie's age now (37) having played last in the old 3rd Div for Bmuff and spending the prior 9 years as a journeyman in the lower /smaller leagues around the world.

Compared to Ronnie, still banging them in at the highest levels.

Not a great fan of him, but got to admire the way he's handled himself and his career.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seems like he is going to Roma. Good for them, even better for United. Scored for fun as usual but hard not to get the impression that he really ****ed up the dynamics of the team just when Solskjaer had built a pretty convincing side.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This. I was comparing his career to the late great George Best. Best retired at Ronnie's age now (37) having played last in the old 3rd Div for Bmuff and spending the prior 9 years as a journeyman in the lower /smaller leagues around the world.

Compared to Ronnie, still banging them in at the highest levels.

Not a great fan of him, but got to admire the way he's handled himself and his career.

Watching him live for the only time ever when we took United apart at the Amex, he had a very average game but I was really impressed and surprised at the height he reached from almost a stand still when challenging for high balls. Probably best for United he moves on, he has had a fabulous career and shows no signs of stopping, at 37.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There’s certainly plenty to admire and his level of professionalism, training and diet is outrageously high. As the OP said, there a few who would do well to take these latter points on board and become better players.

Also, surely the Messi / Ronnie debate has now ended?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Seems like he is going to Roma. Good for them, even better for United. Scored for fun as usual but hard not to get the impression that he really ****ed up the dynamics of the team just when Solskjaer had built a pretty convincing side.
Doubt Roma could afford him.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Also, surely the Messi / Ronnie debate has now ended?
Yep.

I've never seen live a team featuring Messi absolutely humiliated by the Albion.

#TheGameThatKeepsOnGiving.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Messi wasn’t even picked to start in many games in the French MTL, I think his day was done when he left Barcelona.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There’s certainly plenty to admire and his level of professionalism, training and diet is outrageously high. As the OP said, there a few who would do well to take these latter points on board

Don’t be too hard on yourself, HT. Those pan fried ox cheeks in caramel whipped butter aren’t going to eat themselves.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure about Solskjaer building up a pretty convincing side, but yes, Ronaldo's arrival did rather de-stabilise it - although at the same time his goals prevented it being a complete disaster. Quite a conundrum that!
Great footballer to be sure, but strangely unlikeable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here