Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Fair play - what tremendous character

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If that little comment on Saturday night has produced that level of character and resilience then applause all round to GP and yah boo sucks to the boo boys.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Dont think it had anyhing (or at least not much) to do with it. The boys are a little wonky when it comes to quality and confidence but they have shown over and over again that they will never give up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Dont think it had anyhing (or at least not much) to do with it. The boys are a little wonky when it comes to quality and confidence but they have shown over and over again that they will never give up.

That's the very definition of character.

As opposed to, say, Villa where we showed almost none.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Boo-gate was and still is a storm in a tea cup.

Amazing how 2 draws can feel so different to the actual results achieved. That’s football though!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If that little comment on Saturday night has produced that level of character and resilience then applause all round to GP and yah boo sucks to the boo boys.

Agree, it’s almost like with 2 away games coming up he kind of knew what he was doing.:albion2:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A great response.

And from the way GP reacted to the fans at the end (and vice versa), it's all very much water under the bridge.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Moyes post match interview doesn’t match his body language. His “no no I’m not disappointed” versus his actual facial expression reminded me of that Fast Show/Harry Enfield “Where’s the bloke, luv” sketch!!

He’s so pissed off LOL!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
A great response.

And from the way GP reacted to the fans at the end (and vice versa), it's all very much water under the bridge.

So far as the supporters are concerned, I'd fully agree - but then 99.9% didn't boo post-Leeds anyway and were probably just a bit baffled by the rebuke and the ridiculous amount of traction an (almost) non-event has gained in the media all week.

For GP? I'm not quite so sure it is finished business. When asked to comment on the reception he received from the supporters after the final whistle, I thought it was quite telling that he simply said, "Our away support has always been fantastic."

And left it there.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So far as the supporters are concerned, I'd fully agree - but then 99.9% didn't boo anyway and were probably just a bit baffled by the rebuke and the ridiculous amount of traction an (almost) non-event has gained in the media this week.

For GP? I'm not quite so sure it is finished business. When asked to comment on the reception he received from the supporters after the final whistle, I thought it was quite telling that he simply said, "Our away support has always been fantastic."

And left it there.

No he didn’t, he went on to say all our supporters are great but some decided to express themselves which he said they were entitled to do, and he was entitled to disagree with them - that’s football. Did you turn off during the interview, or just presenting this to create more trouble!?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Moyes post match interview doesn’t match his body language. His “no no I’m not disappointed” versus his actual facial expression reminded me of that Fast Show/Harry Enfield “Where’s the bloke, luv” sketch!!

He’s so pissed off LOL!

65894447dd9220683f110338fd5e7d1a.jpg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No he didn’t, he went on to say all our supporters are great but some decided to express themselves which he said they were entitled to do, and he was entitled to disagree with them - that’s football. Did you turn off during the interview, or just presenting this to create more trouble!?

No. You are correct in your full assessment. And I'm 100% behind the manager, so certainly not trying to keep the thing bubbling away. Frankly, I wish it would all go away as it was / is a complete non-story. It was simply my interpretation of how he chose to answer the question, which I found interesting. I'm not sure why he said the bit I mentioned at all. In my view he should have simply gone straight to the bit you have referenced. I just sensed that he still seems a bit fractious, but then he's probably fed up with being asked about it.

Anyway - hopefully all done with now and I reckon that 1-1 could be the turning point for our season, in a good way.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No. You are correct in your full assessment. And I'm 100% behind the manager, so certainly not trying to keep the thing bubbling away. Frankly, I wish it would all go away as it was / is a complete non-story. It was simply my interpretation of how he chose to answer the question, which I found interesting. I'm not sure why he said the bit I mentioned at all. In my view he should have simply gone straight to the bit you have referenced.

Anyway - hopefully all done with now and I reckon that 1-1 could be the turning point for our season, in a good way.

They showed him going over to the away section on the screen and asked him directly about that so he directly referred to the away fans always being excellent, which of course for most clubs it’s the case because it takes some commitment to travel away. He then as you’re saying tried to defuse the whole thing saying a few fans expressed themselves as they’re entitled to do, and he disagreed as he’s entitled to do. No more required to say about that. Storm in a teacup but if it helped the players feel protected by him, then it looked like it worked in that regard. Ferguson used to do stuff like this all the time to protect players, diffuse, deflect, redirect, he was a master at it.

Onwards and upwards, always had faith there is plenty of spirit in this group.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

That's the very definition of character.

As opposed to, say, Villa where we showed almost none.

There is nothing wrong with the character of this side, and I don't believe it has anything to do with what happened on Saturday. Character doesn't come and go, from match to match; the team has it or it doesn't.

Coming back from 2-0 (and 3-1) down at West Ham two seasons ago to draw; the win at home to Arsenal as the first match of Project Restart; the 3-3 draw at home to Wolves after being 3-1 down at half-time....

Whatever you might think about the quality of our players (and their goalscoring abilities), there has NEVER been a question about the resiliency or character of the group (and, by extension, their belief in what Potter is trying to do).

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
There is nothing wrong with the character of this side, and I don't believe it has anything to do with what happened on Saturday. Character doesn't come and go, from match to match; the team has it or it doesn't.

Coming back from 2-0 (and 3-1) down at West Ham two seasons ago to draw; the win at home to Arsenal as the first match of Project Restart; the 3-3 draw at home to Wolves after being 3-1 down at half-time....

Whatever you might think about the quality of our players (and their goalscoring abilities), there has NEVER been a question about the resiliency or character of the group (and, by extension, their belief in what Potter is trying to do).

Heads dropped all round when we went 1-0 down at Villa. Last night's never say die produced a 89th min equaliser (of stunning quality). That's the difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here