Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Graham Potter too careful

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Firstly just want to state I’m a massive Potter fan and this thread isn’t extremest or wanting him out or booing him blah blah blah.

But I’d like to hear peoples opinions on the careful way he is managing our side.

Just today I have seen a media post of him telling Evan Ferguson he needs to be patient at 17 years old with waiting for a first team opportunity. Is there actually anyone out there that would rather see Juergen Locadia coming on for last 12 minutes of a match rather than Ferguson? For me it was a no brainier to have given him a place on the bench.

Jeremy Sarmiento- we know he is young, we know he will need managing well and we know that youngsters like this will take time to become a player that can make a difference but am I the only one that would love to see Potter gamble and give this lad a start and see what he can do?

Tariq Lamptey- everybody knows about his hamstring injury that needs managing and we have to be careful that he doesn’t break down due to overload and tiredness, but having played 75 mins v Villa and coming off shouldn’t the progression and natural fitness mean he can do more the following week especially as he is man of the match at the time of coming of.

Now clearly I’m not a physio and nor do I have the science to hand manage these players but I do question whether our Graham is just too often unnecessarily careful 🤷🏻*♂️

Thoughts please

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are 2 players away from glory , Sariemento and McAllister could be those players as could Ferguson , 35-40 million is a shed load of money to pull in a whopper , and then look at Havertz and Werver .....playing ok but not scoring many , i think it's time some of u bounced ur head off the wall , last time we played with the big boys we got sent packing , this time were faaarking having it .........and i don't think we should let 30 pissed norberts make us a national press issue to be honest .....embarrassing.:bigwave:

Last edited:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Firstly just want to state I’m a massive Potter fan and this thread isn’t extremest or wanting him out or booing him blah blah blah.

But I’d like to hear peoples opinions on the careful way he is managing our side.

Just today I have seen a media post of him telling Evan Ferguson he needs to be patient at 17 years old with waiting for a first team opportunity. Is there actually anyone out there that would rather see Juergen Locadia coming on for last 12 minutes of a match rather than Ferguson? For me it was a no brainier to have given him a place on the bench.

Jeremy Sarmiento- we know he is young, we know he will need managing well and we know that youngsters like this will take time to become a player that can make a difference but am I the only one that would love to see Potter gamble and give this lad a start and see what he can do?

Tariq Lamptey- everybody knows about his hamstring injury that needs managing and we have to be careful that he doesn’t break down due to overload and tiredness, but having played 75 mins v Villa and coming off shouldn’t the progression and natural fitness mean he can do more the following week especially as he is man of the match at the time of coming of.

Now clearly I’m not a physio and nor do I have the science to hand manage these players but I do question whether our Graham is just too often unnecessarily careful 🤷🏻*♂️

Thoughts please

Not to me no. I think he's learned from rushing Connolly into the team and we've been burned in the past rushing youngsters in. Ferguson will get his chance.

On Locadia, I'd rather I'd come on. On Lamptey, he's been out for nearly a year and had 2-3 set backs along the way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
As long as play percentage stats are up and xg is good his CV is improving. TT at Chelsea made it to the top following a similar path. Put it another way not winning games of football at Brighton won’t really effect his career path to much.

Last edited:

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I think we simply to have to trust the Coaching/medical set-up. I think there are plenty of speedsters such as Lamptey for whom a recurrent hamstring injury can mark the end, or the beginning of the end. They are never quite the same again. I think the carful approach is simply justified by that fact alone. We will get far more out of Lamptey, mid/long-term with careful nursing now - and of course his value. Careful approach arguably has got more out of Lallana than he may have thought possible. In our heads 75 mins is nearly 90 mins (referencing Lampteys withdrawal on Saturday) but I guess in terms of extreme physical stress another 20% may be too much at this stage.
REgards young players : for every Rooney and exceptional talent, there are kids that struggle with the psychological strength needed to deal with the PL. I am not sure if Connolly is a good example or not but you know what I mean. The longer-term benefit for us and the player needs to be looked after vs. the short-term impatience to do something different. I think of players such as Ravel Morrison, Macheda ( United player?) the even younger Palace lad (whow ent to Spurs) I agree that a Ferguson vs. Leeds may have been a different, more impactful introduction than Locadia, but again, the fact that they have used young players (albeit not 17!) mean I am happy to trust the Club on the right approach.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

I'm with you there. The groan when Locadia was waiting to come on was audible. I'm sure it would have been similar had Connolly been coming on as well. Chucking Ferguson on would have lifted the crowd if nothing else. Lets face it he couldn't have done any worse than what Locadia did.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
OP

Firstly, I believe that you're asking a genuine question, not finding a subtle way of having a dig as some are insinuating

He's quite cautious in some ways, notably in terms of our safety first approach to attacking possession and our relative reluctance to commit numbers beyond the ball

In some ways not that cautious. His career path points to someone who is happy to try something different. He has given young players a chance. And you could say if he was really cautious, he'd get his keeper to punt it up field instead of play it into midfield

Caution in a football manager is probably more a good quality than a bad one. A little more caution with some of his public comments recently probably would have stood him in good stead

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not to me no. I think he's learned from rushing Connolly into the team and we've been burned in the past rushing youngsters in. Ferguson will get his chance.

On Locadia, I'd rather I'd come on. On Lamptey, he's been out for nearly a year and had 2-3 set backs along the way.

Locadia did get a shot away and on target, it’s only because he IS Locadia that he got as much shit as he did. How many forwards are up to speed with virtually no game time?. I am no longer defending him as such because even if Potter gives him a chance the fans have given up on him, so he’ll get zero encouragement unless he scores, just groans and boos. Not many players thrive in that atmosphere unless they are incredibly mentally tough, with a **** you attitude.

As for the OP, have we ever had a manager who showed more faith in youngsters in the top two divisions?

Last edited:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Ultimately we've ****ed up the development of Connolly by throwing him in so don't want to do the same with Ferguson

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Re Tariq Lamptey, sure we could be less careful with him. Sounds like a fantastic plan...

Sarmiento, wouldnt mind seeing him getting more minutes if he is deemed ready. I think you are going to get your wish on that one before the end of the month. Him getting some minutes at an important stage against Leeds indicates GP feels he is ready for it.

He's a front for Barber and Ashworth on the personnel side

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Did Paul Barber steal your candy bag or something or why are you completely obsessed with him?

I'm with you there. The groan when Locadia was waiting to come on was audible. I'm sure it would have been similar had Connolly been coming on as well. Chucking Ferguson on would have lifted the crowd if nothing else. Lets face it he couldn't have done any worse than what Locadia did.

Evan Ferguson will play when it is good for Evan and it is good for the club, he is not going to be used as a chewing toy for the fans. Good chance GP would have waited longer with AC if he knew how absurdly impatient and cruel fans would be against him only some 6 months after the Spurs game.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Maybe there are outward signs he is a cautious man, but underneath he is a maniac.

Grown a beard, cautious with the razor you might think, but no, shaves his balls blindfolded with a cut throat.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I'd happily throw anyone in if they can score two goals on debut as Connolly did. Then rest them for the remainder of the season if necessary

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think we simply to have to trust the Coaching/medical set-up. I think there are plenty of speedsters such as Lamptey for whom a recurrent hamstring injury can mark the end, or the beginning of the end. They are never quite the same again. I think the carful approach is simply justified by that fact alone. We will get far more out of Lamptey, mid/long-term with careful nursing now - and of course his value. Careful approach arguably has got more out of Lallana than he may have thought possible. In our heads 75 mins is nearly 90 mins (referencing Lampteys withdrawal on Saturday) but I guess in terms of extreme physical stress another 20% may be too much at this stage.
REgards young players : for every Rooney and exceptional talent, there are kids that struggle with the psychological strength needed to deal with the PL. I am not sure if Connolly is a good example or not but you know what I mean. The longer-term benefit for us and the player needs to be looked after vs. the short-term impatience to do something different. I think of players such as Ravel Morrison, Macheda ( United player?) the even younger Palace lad (whow ent to Spurs) I agree that a Ferguson vs. Leeds may have been a different, more impactful introduction than Locadia, but again, the fact that they have used young players (albeit not 17!) mean I am happy to trust the Club on the right approach.

Your head is screwed on correctly, Eric 👍👍 (IMHO)

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

Interesting thread. This post just about sums it up for me.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Locadia did get a shot away and on target, it’s only because he IS Locadia that he got as much shit as he did. How many forwards are up to speed with virtually no game time?. I am no longer defending him as such because even if Potter gives him a chance the fans have given up on him, so he’ll get zero encouragement unless he scores, just groans and boos. Not many players thrive in that atmosphere unless they are incredibly mentally tough, with a **** you attitude.

As for the OP, have we ever had a manager who showed more faith in youngsters in the top two divisions?

Well said 👍

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Re Tariq Lamptey, sure we could be less careful with him. Sounds like a fantastic plan...

Sarmiento, wouldnt mind seeing him getting more minutes if he is deemed ready. I think you are going to get your wish on that one before the end of the month. Him getting some minutes at an important stage against Leeds indicates GP feels he is ready for it.

Did Paul Barber steal your candy bag or something or why are you completely obsessed with him?

Evan Ferguson will play when it is good for Evan and it is good for the club, he is not going to be used as a chewing toy for the fans. Good chance GP would have waited longer with AC if he knew how absurdly impatient and cruel fans would be against him only some 6 months after the Spurs game.

He should have waited with Connolly,but not for the reasons you mention.It was simply too soon.I hope Ferguson and Tolaj are not thrown in the deep-end.They should be sent out on loan next season and given a fair chance to develop.

I am not a Connolly hater/bullier.I hope he sorts himself and proves us all wrong.It was just too much too soon.Same with Alzate to a lesser extent,although he had benefited with a half-season loan at Swindon

I AM in team Connolly

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here