Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Pascal Gross's right arm...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I commented this in a match thread a few weeks back, but what on earth does his right arm signal at freekicks and corners mean?

He always does it, regardless of where the ball is played, near post, far post, penalty spot... even the odd short freekick, always the same signal.

In fact, I am beginning to think it's not a signal at all, but a good luck/visualisation technique similar to rugby penalty kick takers like Jonny Wilkinson.

Once you've noticed, you can't unsee it. Every. Single. Time. It's very disheartening - well, irritating - as Dunk, Duffy and Webster get in their "crazy train" position for a corner, our Pascal raises his right arm and... fails to beat the first man.

What is it all about, Robbie?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think he's just signalling he is about to take the kick and nothing else.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I too think it could be a Jonny Wilkinson type ‘routine’ thing. Whatever it is it’s not exactly working at the moment. I like Gross (just not as a bloody RWB) but his set pieces lately have been really poor. Trossard would get my vote.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I too think it could be a Jonny Wilkinson type ‘routine’ thing. Whatever it is it’s not exactly working at the moment. I like Gross (just not as a bloody RWB) but his set pieces lately have been really poor. Trossard would get my vote.

Would personally like to see more in swingers from our set plays. Cucurella and Trossard please

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

We can't take Tross out of the box, with Welbeck injured he's our tallest striker

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
TBF, the front post defender needs plenty of notice of exactly when he'll be able to chest it down unchallenged and calmly play a pass in behind our lines.

Just joking Pascal. I thought there might be some different in the hand. Ie, is it a fist or open palm. Maybe that's the signal. Will keep an eye out if he plays tonight

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He needs to vary whatever it is. His deliveries have been absolute shite from set pieces recently or the movement of the players on the end of them has been shit :smile:

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
He is just letting everyone know that this kick will be exactly the same as the previous 50

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Normally different arm/hand movements means an indication to put it into different zones. Raised arm with hole hand up could mean "I'm putting it near the penalty spot", one finger up could mean "I'm putting it at the far post" etc.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Normally different arm/hand movements means an indication to put it into different zones. Raised arm with hole hand up could mean "I'm putting it near the penalty spot", one finger up could mean "I'm putting it at the far post" etc.

The gesture is identical no matter where the ball is played.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The gesture is identical no matter where the ball is played.

Could be, I've not paid too much detailed attention to it. In case you are right, it is probably some habit from some point in his career when he used to signal something.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I assumed it was a signal that when he takes it down, he is going to kick it, hence allowing the attacking players to know when to move. Yes it also informs the defence, however at least if there is some kind of planned move, the players should be in the right place at the right time.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I assumed it was a signal that when he takes it down, he is going to kick it, hence allowing the attacking players to know when to move. Yes it also informs the defence, however at least if there is some kind of planned move, the players should be in the right place at the right time.

I'd quite like to see him incorporate some interpretive dance moves into his signalling routine. Throw a few shapes maybe :rave:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here