Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League draw kings

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Other than allowing me to post a "Two points dropped or one point gained?" poll, is there anything good about drawing a game. Or lots and lots of games?

Since promotion, Albion have been the Premier League Draw Kings. Our record is:

2020/21 - 14 (rank: 1st)
2019/20 - 14 (rank: joint 1st with Wolves and Arsenal)
2018/19 - 9 (rank: joint 2nd after Southampton with 12)
2017/18 - 13 (rank: joint 2nd after Southampton with 15)

Who will be the Premier League draw king this year?

As things stand...

7 - Palace, Newcastle (both from 14 fixtures)
6 - Burnley Albion and Leeds (from 12, 13 and 14 fixtures respectively)

All five sides are currently on schedule to break the Premier League record of 17 draws in a 38-game season jointly held by Newcastle (2003–04), Aston Villa (2006–07, 2011-12) and Sunderland (2014–15). Can anyone snatch this most unwanted of records (if you ignore that shit Derby team, anyway)?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Other than allowing me to post a "Two points dropped or one point gained?" poll, is there anything good about drawing a game. Or lots and lots of games?

Since promotion, Albion have been the Premier League Draw Kings. Our record is:

2020/21 - 14 (rank: 1st)
2019/20 - 14 (rank: joint 1st with Wolves and Arsenal)
2018/19 - 9 (rank: joint 2nd after Southampton with 12)
2017/18 - 13 (rank: joint 2nd after Southampton with 15)

Who will be the Premier League draw king this year?

As things stand...

7 - Palace, Newcastle (both from 14 fixtures)
6 - Burnley Albion and Leeds (from 12, 13 and 14 fixtures respectively)

All five sides are currently on schedule to break the Premier League record of 17 draws in a 38-game season jointly held by Newcastle (2003–04), Aston Villa (2006–07, 2011-12) and Sunderland (2014–15). Can anyone snatch this most unwanted of records (if you ignore that shit Derby team, anyway)?

You get a point . . . or lots and lots of points.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Almost too obvious a point to make, but with 3 points for a win, a win is twice as good as a loss is bad.

There's a strong argument that there's no such a thing as a good draw and that the fact that the fact that football fans and managers are happy with a point from a difficult game is just down to innate loss aversion in their psychological make up

The teams that do well, win a few and lose a few.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

While immensely frustrating not to win, Norwich, Newcastle, Leeds, Arsenal, Palace and Liverpool did not gain any points on us.

It is the same equation for the other team, while we may drop 2 or gain 1, the other team has not gained 2 on us as well.

It's very rare that the bottom 3 aren't the 3 teams that lost the most games. Above that can be a toss up between who has drawn more or won more, but ultimately not being beat is the foundation for being out of the relegation battle and thinking about midtable.

Only Chelsea, Man City and Liverpool have lost fewer games than us this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
How's that working out for Newcastle so far?

As sort of replied above, the draws aren't the problem for Newcastle, it is the defeats. Villa are the outlier here, but you generally can't lose the most games in the league and not be in the relegation battle.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will be up there again. Difficult to beat, difficult to lose to.

A draw is not too shabby. 38 of those and you are 90% sure to stay up.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has this turned to a "Potter OUT!!!" thread yet? If not, why not? THPP still in bed?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As sort of replied above, the draws aren't the problem for Newcastle, it is the defeats. Villa are the outlier here, but you generally can't lose the most games in the league and not be in the relegation battle.

So turn losses into wins, but keep drawing the rest? Sounds easy.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
And 100% sure to get booed by your home supporters

Maybe... drawing 38 out of 38 would be massively impressive in its own way though, historic event and to be remembered forever... I bet that after 30 draws most people in here would be hoping for another 8 and there would be fireworks and dancing at the Amex after the last one.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Would fans rather we lost more and won more but got the same points - then the record of draws we have?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Maybe... drawing 38 out of 38 would be massively impressive in its own way though, historic event and to be remembered forever... I bet that after 30 draws most people in here would be hoping for another 8 and there would be fireworks and dancing at the Amex after the last one.

Depends on the score. 30 4-4s and I’d be in hospital recovering from a heart attack; 30 0-0s and I’d be in hospital recovering from terminal boredom.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Almost too obvious a point to make, but with 3 points for a win, a win is twice as good as a loss is bad.

There's a strong argument that there's no such a thing as a good draw and that the fact that the fact that football fans and managers are happy with a point from a difficult game is just down to innate loss aversion in their psychological make up

The teams that do well, win a few and lose a few.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

The good teams actually win a few, and secure the draw when they need to.

When the Arsenal invincible won the league, they actually drew 12 of their 38 games. Chelsea won only 2 less matches, and it was their 7 defeats that prevented the title going to final day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Would fans rather we lost more and won more but got the same points - then the record of draws we have?

9 wins in 2020/21
9 wins in 2019/20
9 wins in 2018/19
9 wins in 2017/18
9 wins in 1982/83

Would be quite nice to win 10 games this season tbh

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

I'd rather we lost more and won more and got MORE points.

Happy to turn our draw against Newcastle into a win. And our draw against Liverpool into a loss.

3 points instead of 2 AND a happier home crowd.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
a positive spin is only Liverpool , City and Chelsea have lost less games.

Points count , amazing we are still top half without a win for ages.

If Burnley win games in hand then the gap to the bottom 3 wont look so clever though.

We NEED a WIN

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here