Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] "Tensions run high in Hastings"

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...small-boat-arrivals-tensions-east-sussex-town

Well done to those who man the lifeboats to help people crossing the Channel to escape the kind of lives that most of us couldn't begin to imagine.

And well done to the people of Hastings who show those people kindness when they land, cold and exhausted.

As for those who stand in the way of the RNLI doing its job ... well, it's hard to know what to say, really.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
What an absolute c*nt that chap is for trying to block a lifeboat from launching. It's staggering really.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...small-boat-arrivals-tensions-east-sussex-town

Well done to those who man the lifeboats to help people crossing the Channel to escape the kind of lives that most of us couldn't begin to imagine.

And well done to the people of Hastings who show those people kindness when they land, cold and exhausted.

As for those who stand in the way of the RNLI doing its job ... well, it's hard to know what to say, really.

Other than people thinking that is an inevitable result of the messages which comes from government and are relentlessly driven home by a heartless press.

biffo

Feb 17, 2021
Having grown up in Hastings I am surprised her are lots of boats trying to get out to sea and get away from the place

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I would much rather any refugee who wants access into the uk is given free safe travel on the Calais - Dover ferry where they could be housed in a suitable location while asylum assessments are undertaken with the promise that any found to not be legitimately seeking asylum would be returned to their country of origin

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Whatever your thoughts on the political side of the migrant situation, chastising and preventing the RNLI from doing their brilliant work is just moronic

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

I like France. Would happily live there.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I would much rather any refugee who wants access into the uk is given free safe travel on the Calais - Dover ferry where they could be housed in a suitable location while asylum assessments are undertaken with the promise that any found to not be legitimately seeking asylum would be returned to their country of origin

This..with the addition that assessments swiftly undertaken , and the phrase promptly returned.

Also three cheers for the brave people of the RNLI

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

You'd have to be a special kind of **** to do that. A criminal **** too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Other than people thinking that is an inevitable result of the messages which comes from government and are relentlessly driven home by a heartless press.

This entirely !

These poor desperate people have been vilified and demonised as an attempt to deflect and distract from Tory austerity by social " commentators " and the rabid press. It's incredibly sad that many peoples humanity has been withered away by the constant blaming of all peoples ills or the few refugees that make it here.. who then contribute to our society. Blocking the launch of a Lifeboat is such a heartless act, I'm ashamed to be British.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Another example of why I left the UK. Full of hate, a country so divided.

Harsh. It isn't really. It has a small minority of very noisy very active nobs, on both ends of the political spectrum.

I lived in Vancouver for 4 years. Plenty of nobs there, but the place is so much richer they have little or nothing to kick off about. Lotus land and all that :shrug:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Harsh. It isn't really. It has a small minority of very noisy very active nobs, on both ends of the political spectrum.

I lived in Vancouver for 4 years. Plenty of nobs there, but the place is so much richer they have little or nothing to kick off about. Lotus land and all that :shrug:

In my recent experience the Vancouver locals are getting increasingly pushed out by the Chinese (or at least feel like they are).........'it won't be long before they've taken over the city completely' to quote my pal. Hate crimes against the Asian community massively increasing etc...........

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-vancouver-canada-asian-hate-crimes/

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I like France. Would happily live there.

There is a shirt waiting for you at the Post Office.

maxresdefault.jpg

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
This entirely !

These poor desperate people have been vilified and demonised as an attempt to deflect and distract from Tory austerity by social " commentators " and the rabid press. It's incredibly sad that many peoples humanity has been withered away by the constant blaming of all peoples ills or the few refugees that make it here.. who then contribute to our society. Blocking the launch of a Lifeboat is such a heartless act, I'm ashamed to be British.
I know what you mean and I totally agree. However there is the other side of the coin, the ones that make you proud to be British: the people who are meeting the refugees on the beaches and trying to look after them. Trying to prove that we are a decent, caring society. We need to support them (and the RNLI obviously). Not everyone in Hastings is a neo-Nazi ****.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there

There are indeed plenty of good people in this country doing kind things. We all need to remind ourselves of that sometimes, when the wider news looks horrible.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I know what you mean and I totally agree. However there is the other side of the coin, the ones that make you proud to be British: the people who are meeting the refugees on the beaches and trying to look after them. Trying to prove that we are a decent, caring society. We need to support them (and the RNLI obviously). Not everyone in Hastings is a neo-Nazi ****.

Absolutely. Leave the politics to the politicians. Most people are decent human beings and will not want to see other human beings suffer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In my recent experience the Vancouver locals are getting increasingly pushed out by the Chinese (or at least feel like they are).........'it won't be long before they've taken over the city completely' to quote my pal. Hate crimes against the Asian community massively increasing etc...........

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2021-vancouver-canada-asian-hate-crimes/

Indeed. I left before the massive influx from HK. But I've been back. Yes, I'm sure that one end of the nobbet spectrum will be very exercised in as das reichy way.

The HK rule was fast track citizenship for showing X dollars and provinding new employment for 5 locals. The city is now like a proper city (it has the sleepy demeanour of a bigger cleaner Eastbourne when I lived there - only 2 pubs for 1.5 million, no alcohol sales outside restaurants on a Sunday, and the 'Socreds' lining their pockets. Vancouver was bloody brilliant the last two times I went back (2 and 4 years ago),

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here