Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What transfer business do you think needs to be done in January?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Our goal scoring issues need to be sorted out in January or else it’s clearly a bottom third finish for us. I don’t think this is a question of shooting practice, we simply don’t have enough goal scorers in the squad. We must sign some goal getters if we’ve any hope of finishing in the top half but who are we going to get in?

Firstly, we need to ship some players out.

OUT:

Connolly is currently persona non grata, let’s get him out on a loan. They’ll be demand from Championship clubs that are low on strikers or goals but if he could be sent to the Belgiums in exchange for one of their in form forwards, some might be happy.

As Locadia enters his last 6 months of being an Albion player, a loan out would seem the best for everyone. Perhaps FC Twente who were hot for him before or even the Belgiums. He is not going to do much good here. Perhaps a night club might sign him?

Taylor Richards would be another to loan out. Perhaps to a Championship side who need an attacking midfielder. He is so low in the pecking order, I just can’t see him getting ahead of the dozen midfielders he is competing against for a 1st team start. His development and game time must be prioritised.

Sarmiento would also benefit from game time but the jury is still out on whether he can positively affect the 1st team. If Potter starts to trust him with EPL game time, he might be a solution to the goal drought.

I’m not sure when Alzate will be back but he seems like another goal shy midfielder in need of a loan to get back to full fitness. He’ll be nowhere near the starting 11 this season with a dozen other midfielders preferred.

IN:

It may well be that Sima & Andone are handed back to us. Hopefully they’ll both go straight back out on loan. I suspect that Sima needs to show loan-form before we give him a chance and Andone seems to have gone out of his way to ruin his current loan, perhaps we could cancel his contract, he’s clearly not the same player as he was before those awful injuries.

We may well want to pull back Zeqiri & Mitoma but I suspect their clubs will want to keep them.

Mitoma might be an option if he has scored enough permit-points, but he strikes me as similar to Sarmiento.

What we really need is back-up for Welbeck when he is injured and for Maupay when his confidence deserts him and his shooting prowess degrades to amateur level. However, I’ve a hunch we’ll have to wait until the summer sadly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Mitoma is possibly going to help TB's other club win a championship and enter the Champions League. Not sure it would reflect well if we pulled him back.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Failure to sign at least 2 new strikers will result in relegation,financial melt-down and a return to the stone-age

Why oh why can Potter,Ashworth,Bloom,Barber and the catering staff not see it?

We are DOOMED!!!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
sweat-sweating.gif

Stryker you say.....

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Agree that we will probably loan out Taylor Richards and Jurgen Locadia (to some jock team perhaps)

I think we'll sell Connolly and Alzate, to WBA and Bournemouth.

MacAllister will be heavily linked to some Spanish sides but the move won't go through.

I think we will bring Mitoma in if we can get his work permit. Any considerations to do with USG aren't considerations. He'll be described as a forward when GP is asked, "why do we have no strikers?"

I think Andone will be lurking around Lancing like a bad smell.

We'll also have to review a few loans which aren't working out as hoped, eg Caicedo and Jenks. I think Sima will stay with us

We'll probably do the traditional centre back for the academy type purchases.

We'll have a nice surprise of an existing squad member who we expect might to leave, signing a new contract

I don't think we'll buy any new first team players

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We will either break our mould and spend £50+ million in the window on a proven striker we have heard of (no names spring immediately to mind) or spend £20 million on a striker that we've never heard of.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We will either break our mould and spend £50+ million in the window on a proven striker we have heard of (no names spring immediately to mind) or spend £20 million on a striker that we've never heard of.

Thats about the extent of it, even £20m players now are hardly household names, as you say double the transfer fee and we may, (only just), be able to sign someone we have remotely heard of.

Coupled to all this of course, is the fact that quality players, especially strikers, are notoriously difficult to sign in the January window, with clubs hiking up asking prices as they are very reluctant to let their better players leave mid-season.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I think we should go all out for Robert Lewandowski. Nothing else will do.

If you need a striker, go for the best.:albion2::clap2::clap::banana::O:cheery:

boik

Has anyone else considered that Graham might actively not want a mega expensive striker to be parachuted into the team despite some fans demands. His whole ethos is about the group, personal development and doing things differently. And I for one would rather finish day 4th doing it this way than spending obscene amounts just buying the best players to win the league. I am inordinately proud of the way our club is doing things.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Has anyone else considered that Graham might actively not want a mega expensive striker to be parachuted into the team despite some fans demands. His whole ethos is about the group, personal development and doing things differently. And I for one would rather finish day 4th doing it this way than spending obscene amounts just buying the best players to win the league. I am inordinately proud of the way our club is doing things.

Totally agree. They would have to "fit" in every way.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Could we try loaning Locadia to the Ministry of Sound?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Booooing him would be well lush.

Wouldnt need to boo. He would solve all the problems instantly.
We could get Jakub to have a word with him on international duty.
I'm sure he would be dying for a go at the English League.
If he saw the way we play, it would sell it to him. The number of chances we create.......
Send him a Brighton/Sussex tourist brochure.

The only two problems I could foresee would be:
1. Wages might be a problem.
2. Is he good enough to get a work permit............

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Goalkeepers

No need to do anything here which is also most likely what will happen.

Defenders

Could see Haydon Roberts going to loan in the Championship. After his not so successful spell in Rochdale I dont think there was much interest from clubs above League Two, which was probably below the level Albion wanted. His performances in the Caribbean Cup should have changed that so I think we'll see him in the Championship. Other than that I doubt anything will happen with the first team defenders, with the outlandish exception of Newcastle possibly wanting Geordie BDB in their fight for survival. But I expect the defense to remain the same with the exception of Roberts.

Midfield

Team is still a bit heavy on midfielders. Taylor "Taylor-Richards" Richards should and probably will go on loan. I would also not be shocked if Ali Mac went on a six month loan somewhere. The odd chance that a fat bid comes for Bissouma cant be ruled out and in that case I'd expect Caicedo to come back. As for signings I think it is very unlikely unless someone leaves. All that said, most likely outcome is that Richards go on loan and that nothing else happens.

Strikers

Obviously the position where there it is most likely something will happen.

This is probably when Connolly finally goes on a loan unless there's some hidden issue that keeps him off the mathday squad, in which case it can be difficult to move him around. Locadia will obviously go if there is any sort of interest in him. If Cadiz are able to send Andone home, they will. If Locadia and Andone are in the squad I think any recruitment is highly unlikely but if they both **** off and even in the case Locadia would still be around, I think it isnt impossible that a striker arrives either on loan (generally not what TB wants, but in this case it could be a good idea) or permanently.

Summary:

Most likely: Roberts, Richards and Connolly out on loan. No one coming in.

What I'd like: Roberts, Richards, Connolly out on loan, Locadia sold, Striker X coming in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here