Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Boxing day match travel arrangements.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Brighton and Hove Buses are supplying (some of) the buses being used to service the park and rides.

They also ran a restricted service all day (no.25) last time there was a game on Boxing Day in 2018 to get fans to/from the match .

I think that was a 530 kick off , and the match was over by 800pm ,not gone 1000pm on a Boxing Day evening which also happens to be a Sunday ,
How many drivers do you think will hang around till gone 10 00pm , I think there will be very few P&rR busses on Boxing Day

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Brighton fans like me that can’t be arsed with the drama to get to and from the Amex for a stupid kick off time on Boxing Day :censored:

Hundreds of thousands just enjoy watching PL football. Especially at Xmas. Let’s not kid ourselves that everyone will be playing scrabble or something. It will pick up a decent prime time audience in uk , if not very spectacular, and globally. That’s why it’s scheduled in that slot. Even if it’s not Man Utd or Leeds or Chelsea etc.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I think that was a 530 kick off , and the match was over by 800pm ,not gone 1000pm on a Boxing Day evening which also happens to be a Sunday ,
How many drivers do you think will hang around till gone 10 00pm , I think there will be very few P&rR busses on Boxing Day

Yes. I know it was 530.

Enough to service shuttle buses from Lewes to Falmer all evening and enough to service the extra park and ride sites already announced is my guess. Or perhaps I’m being wildly optimistic expecting there to be buses to er, return fans back to their cars etc at 10pm etc.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Really pissed me off this has. I mean who the **** is going to want to watch us v Brentford on Boxing Day evening? Why can they not for once consider the fans it's affecting ffs.

I would have loved to see a German style boycott, although considering there'll be FA people there anyway it might as well be a boycott.

A banner at least would be good to see, sprawled across the empty seats

Who is volunteering to actually go to the game so they can place the banner?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Well booked our space at the equestrian centre.

To those that can't physically get there I feel for you but you have the comfort of the tv.
For those that just can't be arsed I wonder how many were suggesting the boo boys stay away because they're not real fans?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I anticipate being quite pleasantly pickled by mid-afternoon, so the very notion of putting the Baileys and Cheeselets to one side, hauling myself out of my armchair, wrapping up and spending the entire evening / night throwing myself onto the horrifying logistics of getting to the Amex and back carries all the appeal of a colonic irrigation procedure performed by Lemmy of Motorhead.

I will attempt to watch the game, but there's every chance I may slip into a comatose haze around the time Maupay spoons another 6 yard effort high into the night sky.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
My travel arrangements will be very straightforward dinning room to living room to watch this completely ridiculous game that no one in their right mind would arrange to be played at such a time, l actually don’t know anyone who is going

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Hundreds of thousands just enjoy watching PL football. Especially at Xmas. Let’s not kid ourselves that everyone will be playing scrabble or something. It will pick up a decent prime time audience in uk , if not very spectacular, and globally. That’s why it’s scheduled in that slot. Even if it’s not Man Utd or Leeds or Chelsea etc.

Every cloud and all that :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Many of us old school fans are not impressed tbh.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Never will - yes, I very much doubt they ever will. But never had? - you need to check your facts! Up to the 40s - or even the 50s - extra trains were run on Boxing Day; it was a one-day holiday to go home and visit the famiy for thousands of people. plus thousands more football fans going to the match. They'd be trains laid on for fans attending the Christmas Day matches too (which the players would also have travelled on!)

Of course, the matches would have been played in daylight hours - none of Sky Sports' specially inconsiderate 'fvck-the-fans (they don't matter)' times.

Although not much use to get me to the Amex, here on Xmas and Boxing Day there is a good public transport service, both bus and trains. The big difference is that for those two days it is entirely free of charge to help people seeing family and friends whilst having a tipple or two. An idea for the council to look into? Too late for this year mind.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I anticipate being quite pleasantly pickled by mid-afternoon, so the very notion of putting the Baileys and Cheeselets to one side, hauling myself out of my armchair, wrapping up and spending the entire evening / night throwing myself onto the horrifying logistics of getting to the Amex and back carries all the appeal of a colonic irrigation procedure performed by Lemmy of Motorhead.

I will attempt to watch the game, but there's every chance I may slip into a comatose haze around the time Maupay spoons another 6 yard effort high into the night sky.

That's just bizarre. Lemmy has been dead for years and anyway would never have performed such a procedure on Boxing Day, even in his prime.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think people are being unduly pessimistic about this. Yes, we'll have a lower attendance but it won't be as low as 15,000.

It's really only trains that have been affected (buses run on Boxing Day) and 60% of supporters use other means of travel to get to the Amex (and there'll be additional P&R put in to help some of the usual train crowd).People may also fancy a bit of a walk to get over Christmas excess: I used to love the walk from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone after a couple of days of stuffing myself.

I reckon we'll get about 22k/23k for it

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think people are being unduly pessimistic about this. Yes, we'll have a lower attendance but it won't be as low as 15,000.

It's really only trains that have been affected (buses run on Boxing Day)

Brighton & Hove Buses website say none are running when the match finishes.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I appreciate the effort of the few attempting to roll this t@*$ in glitter, but its hard to imagine a worse time to have a football match. Part of the attraction of the PL, that was highlighted repeatedly over the last two years is the fans at the stadium. Picking a match at an out of town stadium that prides itself on the public transport solutions in place, is impossible to justify rationally. There are so many better options for this time kick-off, accepting that TV money dictates that one is needed. I guess there is a reason that they haven't picked a City of Manchester Derby, a Scouse -fest where it is not unreasonable to expect more being able to attend more easily, and would probably attract a higher global audience? I accept that if we, the PL clubs take the TV money, we need to take the "inconvenience" that comes with it - and we do - every week.
This along with the moving of Brighton/Palace to a Friday night is ignorant of the realities for the footballing public, and those that will have to work to try and make it happen - stewards, catering staff, drivers, carers of disabled fans etc etc. This is not a perspective influenced by personal inconvenience - I often choose not to attend Boxing Day matches, but whilst it may be doable for some, it will deprive some of one game in the first season back.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Brighton & Hove Buses website say none are running when the match finishes.

They are working with the club to support the park and ride services already announced by the club.
And in discussion about other services.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

It's really only trains that have been affected (buses run on Boxing Day) and 60% of supporters use other means of travel to get to the Amex (and there'll be additional P&R put in to help some of the usual train crowd).People may also fancy a bit of a walk to get over Christmas excess: I used to love the walk from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone after a couple of days of stuffing myself.

I reckon we'll get about 22k/23k for it

Yes l totally agree that no way will the actual attendance sink as low as 15,000, although admittedly will be way below our usual 30k or so.

Yes there will be still be buses to transport fans to and fro, plus l still believe there will be a reasonable train service after the game too.

As for walking, (or should l say hiking), from Moulsecoomb to the Goldstone, and presumably back afterwards, how long did that trek take you?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here