Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Offside and VAR

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Haven't seen this mentioned.
During the Chelsea v Man Utd game Ronnie was passed the ball inside the Chelsea half, but he was at least 2 yards offside. He then ran a third of the pitch with the ball whilst a Chelsea defender ran back. At the last second the defender tackled Ronnie and conceded a corner. Ref gave a corner because the Lino didn't flag for offside, despite seeing it. Had it been a goal VAR would have given offside, indeed the Lino would have put his flag up indicating offside. But it wasn't a goal and so they 'played on' despite Ronnie being 2 yards offside and it not even being a close desicion.
Tuchel was booked for dissent for pointing out to the 4th official that it was clearly offside.
Luckily Man Utd didn't score from the corner but had they one can only guess at the state of Tuchel had they scored.
Thoughts.
And if you say 'play to the whistle', well Chelsea did and got penalised.
If you say 'let him score' what if the Ref just gives it anyway?
If you say 'hack him down' the defender would get a red.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
During the Chelsea v Man Utd game Ronnie was passed the ball inside the Chelsea half, but he was at least 2 yards offside. He then ran a third of the pitch with the ball whilst a Chelsea defender ran back. At the last second the defender tackled Ronnie and conceded a corner. Ref gave a corner because the Lino didn't flag for offside, despite seeing it. Had it been a goal VAR would have given offside, indeed the Lino would have put his flag up indicating offside. But it wasn't a goal and so they 'played on' despite Ronnie being 2 yards offside and it not even being a close desicion.
Tuchel was booked for dissent for pointing out to the 4th official that it was clearly offside.
Luckily Man Utd didn't score from the corner but had they one can only guess at the state of Tuchel had they scored.
Thoughts.

Sorry had to stop at "Ronnie" and puke. Will come back to read the rest later.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Saw this as well, IMHO it's been something waiting to happen. Really the lino should be told "if you're confident, flag". There's no way he wouldn't have been confident there, Stevie Wonder would have given that off-side.

There's also a player safety element at play here. If Ronaldo goes on and a defender decides to wipe him out and one of the two ends up breaking a leg then that's a major failure of duty of care by the officials, with potentially huge ramifications (both on and off the pitch) for several people, not least someone who's suffered a serious physical injury.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I really don’t understand the logic of not flagging for offside, especially if it’s clear and obvious. Perhaps when fans get more of a say in what they want to see, sense might prevail.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just can not see any point in lines not putting flag up for offside. It is than up to ref . I saw that in Chelsea game and just mad not to flag

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
In our game vs Leeds, March I think it was, got flagged for offside pretty quickly after getting the ball and starting a run on goal.

So why do some offsides get flagged and not others? Inconsistentcy is what gets me.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Saw this as well, IMHO it's been something waiting to happen. Really the lino should be told "if you're confident, flag". There's no way he wouldn't have been confident there, Stevie Wonder would have given that off-side.

There's also a player safety element at play here.
If Ronaldo goes on and a defender decides to wipe him out and one of the two ends up breaking a leg then that's a major failure of duty of care by the officials, with potentially huge ramifications (both on and off the pitch) for several people, not least someone who's suffered a serious physical injury.

I've never understood this argument. There is no higher chance of getting injured if an offside flag stays down compared to open play in general. Do you also think the advantage rule should be scrapped? Because a player might get injured.

I can agree with the part that the assistant ref should be more liberal with waving the flag if they are sure it is offside.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Lino's should have the confidence to flag if they see it as offside.

If we have to keep VAR then fair to keep flag down if marginal. Otherwise we need to get on with the actual game, not the phoney game in which someone is playing for a corner because everyone knows if it's a goal it's going to be chalked off

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon

There's also a player safety element at play here. If Ronaldo goes on and a defender decides to wipe him out and one of the two ends up breaking a leg then that's a major failure of duty of care by the officials, with potentially huge ramifications (both on and off the pitch) for several people, not least someone who's suffered a serious physical injury.
Merson on Soccer Saturday said the same thing about a player getting seriously injured etc

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Just can not see any point in lines not putting flag up for offside. It is than up to ref . I saw that in Chelsea game and just mad not to flag

If you mean that the lino should flag but the ref should let play go on if he wants....how would that have changed anything yesterday? The lino should have raised his flag after the ball had gone for the corner yesterday, but he bottled it. Had the lino flagged and the referee had let play go on the outcome would have been the same because the referee had overruled the lino by letting play go on (wrongly). I understand the 'not flagging if you are not sure' idea, and I understand the idea of not flagging in case there is no advantage so it will allow the game to flow better, but in each case if the game continues and someone gets injured then this would be very bad. To me, the problem yesterday was that the lino should have flagged when 'Ronnie' 'won' a corner.

Incidentally if I were a mad b'stard defender and if I saw an obvious offide that will be called back if the attackers get some advantage, I might take the opportunity to administer some 'treatment' to the attacker.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
--

There is no 'player safety element'. That has been spouted by a few idiot commentators and pundits - its completely nonsensical. If play continues, someone might break their leg. If flagged offside - play would resume and someone might break their leg.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Surely, under the current regime, the lino should have let play continue and then raise the flag for offside after the move was over.

Presumably then, assuming the above is true, the lino genuinely thought it was not offside. He was wrong obviously, but mistakes happen, and we don't want var reviewing everything.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Huge flaw in VAR for me.

But actually it is down to the assistant. He should have flagged for offside when it went for the corner

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Thoughts.

My understanding is:

If you're sure it's off, flag
If you think it's off, wait for the end of play then flag
If you're not sure or think it's on, don't flag and let VAR decide.

If at the end of play he didn't flag then he probably wasn't sure. He wouldn't be the first official to be looking at something that we all think is an obvious clear cut decision and not give it. Or perhaps he just had a moment and forgot. They are humans.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I really don’t understand the logic of not flagging for offside, especially if it’s clear and obvious. Perhaps when fans get more of a say in what they want to see, sense might prevail.

there isnt, might be an illogical reason like not wanting to confuse players and fans.

It was ridiculous. If the Lino isn’t going to flag such obvious decisions what is the point of even having them?

there isnt. get shot of them or VAR.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I think this is an individual error. The lino should have flagged as it was very clear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here