Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Omicron our saviour?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How many of these are ‘incidental covid’ though ?

I don't know what that means. These are bums on seats on a given day, and the rate of increase is disturbing. It doesn't matter that they leave hospital sooner (if that's what you mean) or were admitted for something else - it is the number in hospital at any given time that matters. And if the door is revolving more quickly now, that makes things worse because it means the rate of admissions must be startling, and dealing with admissions adds more demand on staff resources. However you look at it, unless this tails off quickly it could be a big problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't know what that means. These are bums on seats on a given day, and the rate of increase is disturbing. It doesn't matter that they leave hospital sooner (if that's what you mean) or were admitted for something else - it is the number in hospital at any given time that matters. And if the door is revolving more quickly now, that makes things worse because it means the rate of admissions must be startling, and dealing with admissions adds more demand on staff resources. However you look at it, unless this tails off quickly it could be a big problem.

It’s people going into hospital for other reasons that ‘happen to have’ covid. Some reports suggest this makes up 80% of the ‘covid’ admissions. Agree it’s potentially a problem though, but it’s still important to know how many are ‘because of’ covid vs those ‘who happen to have or catch covid’….otherwise we have no sense of the seriousness of the virus and all the other decisions that hang off of that. Bigger issue is the number of staff having to isolate - going to cause a real crisis I think.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
My 97 year old gran tested positive on Xmas day, as did my auntie & uncle who she was staying with both in their late 60’s.

She’s had a heavy cold for 2 days, runny nose, sore throat & cough. Last couple of days just runny nose. No loss of appetite or loss of smell/taste.

My uncle to put it politely is obese, but again just the cold like symptoms.

This must be a very positive sign if people of this age/health are just getting a cold.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Omicron may be milder or it may be that 2 vaccines + booster have rendered it so.

I'm now more concerned about the Psi, Rho and Sigma etc. variants to come.

My biggest worry though is about vaccine wane, and particularly if this happens before the summer.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s people going into hospital for other reasons that ‘happen to have’ covid. Some reports suggest this makes up 80% of the ‘covid’ admissions. Agree it’s potentially a problem though, but it’s still important to know how many are ‘because of’ covid vs those ‘who happen to have or catch covid’….otherwise we have no sense of the seriousness of the virus and all the other decisions that hang off of that. Bigger issue is the number of staff having to isolate - going to cause a real crisis I think.

I see. Yes, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

If this is the case it could mean that 'covid hospitalizations' are barely going up a all, and could even be falling. To get a clear view on that....total deaths from all causes in a couple of weeks time should reveal all. Right?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

I see. Yes, that makes sense. :thumbsup:

If this is the case it could mean that 'covid hospitalizations' are barely going up a all, and could even be falling. To get a clear view on that....total deaths from all causes in a couple of weeks time should reveal all. Right?

Yes - it would be really useful if they could start talking about the figures in this way a bit more. From various snippets, not only do the majority of hospitalisations in the figures refer to the 'incidental covid' mentioned above - but I also read that a decent proportion only tested positive after being in hospital for five days plus (ie: they caught it in hospital). But, whilst possibly less worrying, I agree it's still an issue in that a) NHS staff have even more exposure and likelihood of having to be off work, and b) it must cause no end of issues in the hospital if you have incidental covid - as presumably you have to be semi-isolated or on a covid ward or something of that nature?

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just tested positive this morning, feels like a head cold . Apart from that I feel OK. Great start to the new year :angry:

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Had a small party last night so asked all who came to take a LFT… one cam back as positive, says he feels fine and did not even think he had it, took another this morning and the Same… he feels absolutely fine and in normal times would not have even thought about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here