Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Why did the boos happen and/or who was targeted?

What was the booing all about?

• Booing individual player(s)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Booing the team as a whole

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Booing Graham Potter

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Booing out of frustration

Votes: 234 87.6%
  • Something else (please state)

Votes: 17 6.4%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Quite a bit of heated discussion about this today in various quarters.

My take: I didn't boo and I don't condone the booing, but I did expect it.

I don't think people were booing Graham Potter. I don't think they were booing individual players. I don't even think they were booing the team, as a whole, for not winning. I think it was more a collective expression of frustration that, once again, we failed to beat a pretty ordinary side that we'd largely dominated.

What's your take? If you could pick one reason for the booing, what would it be?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I think mostly booing out of frustration. It wasn’t acceptable, but some people obviously just don’t think before they boo. I’m hoping that most of them are feeling a little bit embarrassed by their behaviour this morning. Plus it was bloody cold, adding a layer of grumpiness on top of the frustration which might have tipped some people over the edge.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I think much of the booing was directed at those who blagged a last minute freebie for 1901 platinum as they didn’t fancy their regular seats in the cold.

But I could be mistaken. :shrug:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It was clearly frustration. Emotions run high when watching football and some people felt a need to release something. It’s not the way I’d have done it but people are entitled to feel frustrated given the last two months results IMHO.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Was Maupay standing near Potter? If so, then I would think some were targetting him. Apart from that, sheer frustration at our inability to put teams away. 20211128_113917.jpg

Possibly the most open, open goal I have ever seen.

Last edited:

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
I didn't boo but would have booed Potter if I'd have known he was going to act like such a child about it.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I’m with you on this. I think the booing is a build up of frustration that we should be winning these types of games in which we dominate. Last week at Villa we didn’t really look like scoring, where as yesterday we performed well, created some clear scoring chances yet still couldn’t find the net.
Most fans are grateful for what they have, but want to see us take advantage of our superiority when we play and create as we did yesterday. We do lack a natural scorer and everyone that witnesses our performances knows that.
I’m sure the players are frustrated as well.
I don’t believe the booing is a direct criticism directed at anyone in particular. Fans want goals, and we all know there should have been at least two clear cut opportunities taken yesterday.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Frustration at watching the same game. Again. Villa last season and Arsenal this were almost identical where we've played the team off the park in a 0-0 game. It could have been worse like the Palace game where we chuck in the last minute opposition goal for good measure.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A tiny percentage booed out of frustration, obviously.

Mountain out of a molehill imo that would have barely registered with anyone had GP not slated the fans as a collective for the actions of a handful (I didn't boo)

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Can really only be out of frustration.
Can’t see why anyone would boo manager team or players. We were good yesterday and in the 8 games we have played well in a few and not got all we deserved, despite not winning we are not losing many either. Think frustration maybe that we could and should have another 5/6 points on the board

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Ashley Barnes and Dale Stephens.

Where is Dale Stephens now anyway Still at Burnley ?

Just thought I'd derail another thread about Booing early.

I think it's mad that there is any booing at all. Will it happen. Yes 100% as sure as eggs are eggs.

Social Media encourages it.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't buy that disembodied 'frustration' thing, like it was some aimless involuntary action or something. It's a cop-out. The booers were clearly booing someone, whether that be the players, management or board, or a combination of all three

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I left on final whistle. Was booing coming from one section or all over ground. I have and will never boo. Thought we played well in fact better than against Leicester when we won.
I get out of my seat when we score or a crap decision by ref but must admit after Maupay missed 2nd chance was first time I have got out of my seat in disgust at one of our players not even getting an easy chance on target.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I don't buy that disembodied 'frustration' thing, like it was some aimless involuntary action or something. It's a cop-out. The booers were clearly booing someone, whether that be the players, management or board, or a combination of all three

Or they could have been booing the bar closing

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Because the hardcore of 5-10k supporters has been diluted by former gooners who’ve retired to the city and oiks who have more interest in drinking and fighting our own fans than the game itself. Seems to be a growing minority.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
People dont boo out of frustration. Its not a bodily-neurological reaction to frustration with the possible exception for those with some rare disorder. If you stand at a train station waiting for a delayed train and there is an announcement of a further delay, people get frustrated but they dont boo.

Booing is a calculated action. These individuals wanted to express something, took a deep dive into their vocabularies and flashed their intellectual capacity through expelling this sound.

I'd say the team as a whole was booed.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I have never booed a Brighton side and certainly didn't feel the need to change that position yesterday, so any theories I have about why others booed can only really be a guess.

But I suspect "frustration" is a more plausible theory than most. Maybe people were just booing the reality of so many missed opportunities for three points instead of one, with yesterday being the most prime example we've seen.

It's a shame it's happened because it's put a bit of a wedge between the supporters and the team, and that's not good news for any of us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here