Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 3rd of the Season Review - Points Gained vs Points Lost

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Like all of us I was hugely frustrated at our inability to win that match last night, and clearly that’s not been the first time this season. However I thought I would do a review of how we stand overall with points won and lost this season. This is based on how the games actually went as opposed to what we could have expected based on league position or history. Strangely it made me feel better…

Games where we got what we deserved:

- Everton Home (defeat)
- Watford Home (win)
- Man City home (defeat)
- Liverpool Away (draw) - I know some felt we maybe deserved to win the game but we could easily have been 3-0 down and we both had goals rules out for offside.
- Norwich away (draw) - maybe the most contentious in this grouping as we should have had a penalty but they literally missed an open goal and multiple other chances.
- West Ham Away (draw)

Games where we ‘lost’ points we should have won.

Newcastle Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Arsenal Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Leeds Home (draw) - 2 points dropped
Villa away (defeat) - 1 point dropped. I don’t think given the balance of chances in the game this goes down as three points dropped not least because we didn’t actually score.

Total - 7 points dropped.

Games where we ‘gained’ points we didn’t deserve.

Palace Away (draw) - 1 point gained. A robbery that should have given us more of a bounce (see what I did there!)
Brentford Away (win) - 2 points gained. Based on the balance of chances we didn’t deserve 3 points.
Burnley Away (win) - 2 points gained. Arguably this could be three points gained as they could and should have been 3 up at half time. However I will be prudent and say 2 as we played much better second half.
Leicester Home (win) - 2 points gained. We benefited from some very big refereeing decisions in that game and had they gone against us we would have been raging. Again arguably could be 3 points gained.
Southampton away (draw)

Total 8 (minimum) points gained.

So in summary we are very near to the points total that is a fair reflection of where we should be. Of course we would all love more and right now it feels a bit frustrating and as if history is repeating itself but maybe this is just ‘luck’ evening itself out as we certainly were fortunate earlier in the season.

What are people views?

P.s. if you are tempted to post that in every game you get what you deserve one way or another can I politely suggest this isn’t the thread for you.

Last edited:

I think your summary is spot on. We got more points than me deserved in the 1st half dozen games where we weren't playing at our best. Now we're not getting the points we deserve while playing at near our best. As many say it's about fine margins as well as a bit of luck which, yesterday's game proved classic example. Another day we would've won that by 4 or 5 yet could easily of lost at the end but for big Bob being alert when he had nothing to do for 80 mins. We are just about where we deserve to be and over the season I think we'll end up around 8th/11th.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Yes. The fine margins involved in the ball reaching the back of either net tend to even out over a season.

Palace letting it bounce was a good one.

Leeds’ goalie fingertip diverting Leo’s rocket onto the post was a bad one.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Excellent summary and agree with every game. We are where we deserve to be.
Seconded.
Spot on analysis.
Have woken up, still disappointed about the result, but can see we have the quality to finish higher in the table than the last few seasons, despite not having the greatest striker of all time

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Excellent post and I agree. Personally if we finish near the top 10 come seasons end I’ll be delighted.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Cheers to all those commenting they like the post. Frankly I did to ease my troubled mind as I was so irritated last night the kids are still avoiding me!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great summary. I still think (hope) we'll end up somewhere around 11/12th, and we're on track for that - which will represent excellent progress.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very good post from the OP. Certainly a good perspective to have. I still want 3 new attacking players in January though.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
Updated: by my reckoning we have now stolen more points than we have missed out on. Happy days!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here