Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Opening paragraph of Guardian match report

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
'but the smattering of boos in the ground at full-time belied a fanbase whose expectations have been raised by the champagne football of recent months. Not all of them, you suspect, were there for the Withdean and the Goldstone years'

:thumbsup:

I wasn’t there yesterday, ergo I didn’t boo. But had I been there, I wouldn’t have boo’d. I’d probably have just muttered “FFS” (increasingly, my default response to most things these days) and rued the £100+ I’d just spent on day out for me and the kids to watch a 0-0 in which we pissed away chance after chance. Again.

Having said that, I was at the Goldstone and Withdean regularly - but that doesn’t mean I should have my expectations of our current crop of multi- millionaire international footballers forever calibrated at division 3 & 4 levels, no matter what some bloke at the Guardian thinks.

Last edited:

ken tiler

Nov 24, 2007
Brighton
I wasn’t there yesterday, ergo I didn’t boo. But had I been there, I wouldn’t have boo’d. I’d probably have just muttered “FFS” (increasingly, my default response to most things these days) and rued the £100+ I’d just spent on day out for me and the kids to watch a 0-0 in which we pissed away chance after chance. Again.

Having said that, I was at the Goldstone and Withdean regularly - but that doesn’t mean I should have my expectations of our current crop of multi- millionaire international footballers forever calibrated at division 3 & 4 levels, no matter what some bloke at the Guardian thinks.

They seem to be forgetting that we did play at this level at the Goldstone and probably scored more goals too!

August West

Jul 30, 2013
WE ALL KNOW THAT THANKS GUARDIAN!

Signing a striker or goal scorer is very complex.

The ones we get are either too inexperienced or not Premier League level.

The ones we miss out on tend to do very well.

The club don’t want to break the salary cap/transfer budget to do it.

They just need some luck picking up a youngish player that is good value for money but will take chances regularly.

In that case why let Zeqiri go out on loan?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Probably some Tottenham fans said much the same thing about Alan Sugar once. Football chewed him up and spat him out. Football doesn't follow the normal rules of commerce. Some of the smartest people in business still end up with large quantities of egg on their face when it comes to football

Sugar wasn't a fan. His was a business venture. And the expectation at Spurs was to repeat the great double winning feat. No chance.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
'but the smattering of boos in the ground at full-time belied a fanbase whose expectations have been raised by the champagne football of recent months. Not all of them, you suspect, were there for the Withdean and the Goldstone years'

:thumbsup:

Or…..

How dare little old Brighton fans dare to want to challenge the football establishment, don’t they know their place?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

They just need some luck picking up a youngish player that is good value for money but will take chances regularly.

I think we’re trying to get by until we have a ‘grow your own’ product……

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have always enjoyed The Guardian's sport page.

Always well written.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Indeed. I've said before I find most sport coverage in papers dull as ditchwater but The Guardian gets it right.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yes, quite.

And why must we always hark back to that game at Gillingham against Darlington? We have fans who go home and away, can legally drink and illegally shove their noses full of hooter who weren’t even born that day. Move on FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, quite.

And why must we always hark back to that game at Gillingham against Darlington? We have fans who go home and away, can legally drink and illegally shove their noses full of hooter who weren’t even born that day. Move on FFS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Move on?

:lolol:

OK. I'm going to support Chelsea because I think they are the best team in Europe and are bound to win something this season.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Move on?

OK. I'm going to support Chelsea because I think they are the best team in Europe and are bound to win something this season.

Buying your Burberry as we speak no doubt

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Buying your Burberry as we speak no doubt

Looking into streaming GB TV, and voting for Boris, but only if he can guarantee he'll win, or I'm out. Tomorrow belongs to me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Move on?

You can still support Brighton without mentioning something that happened before our "yoof" were born every five mins.

A lot of the fans that went to Villa on my train last week wouldn't be able to find Gillingham on a map.

In 1979 we went up to the top division and used to get 30k crowds as well. Earlier that decade we were getting MAHOOSIVE crowds in Divisions Two and Three, taking massive Derby to a replay in the League Cup and attracting Brian Clough as a manager.

Which bit of our history should we stop at? Or should we accept we've been both slightly massive and massively slight?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

You keep saying this although you can largely bet the Nunez deal would smash the wage bracket & transfer fee if it ever happens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here