Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Opening paragraph of Guardian match report

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
"Football at this level is an exceptionally intricate game in which the world’s best coaches plot out their strategies in stunning detail, compute its thousands of moving parts, make contingencies upon contingencies. It feels hopelessly simplistic to boil down the issues with Graham Potter’s complex and delicately balanced Brighton team to “just sign a striker”. But, you know. Sometimes you really do just have to sign a striker."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/27/brighton-leeds-premier-league-match-report

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Love that - no left wing leanings for me, but I do love reading their sports pages on the web. Their '10 things to look out for the weekend's football' is excellent, as are their match reports

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
The next paragraph is well written too.
“Twenty shots, plenty of ambitious attacking football, their highest expected goals total of the season, and ultimately a familiar refrain. The wind blew in off the English Channel and the Amex howled and roared to keep out the cold, and yet still the ball refused to drop. There were numerous areas of encouragement: the marauding wing-backs Tariq Lamptey and Marc Cucurella, the sharp passing and movement in midfield.”

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
The next paragraph is well written too.
“Twenty shots, plenty of ambitious attacking football, their highest expected goals total of the season, and ultimately a familiar refrain. The wind blew in off the English Channel and the Amex howled and roared to keep out the cold, and yet still the ball refused to drop. There were numerous areas of encouragement: the marauding wing-backs Tariq Lamptey and Marc Cucurella, the sharp passing and movement in midfield.”

Fake news, it was a northerly wind.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Does the article mention Joe Linton is shite, who would you sign and happy to spend someone else’s money ??? If not I’m out.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I have always enjoyed The Guardian's sport page.

Always well written.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
"Football at this level is an exceptionally intricate game in which the world’s best coaches plot out their strategies in stunning detail, compute its thousands of moving parts, make contingencies upon contingencies. It feels hopelessly simplistic to boil down the issues with Graham Potter’s complex and delicately balanced Brighton team to “just sign a striker”. But, you know. Sometimes you really do just have to sign a striker."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/nov/27/brighton-leeds-premier-league-match-report

Like I said on another thread yesterday, the whole footballing world can see it. Including Tony Bloom. ESPECIALLY Tony Bloom. If he's not willing to pay the going rate for an EPL-ready striker, it's either because he can't or he won't. If it's the latter, it's going to bite him in the bum bigtime, and sooner rather than later

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
'but the smattering of boos in the ground at full-time belied a fanbase whose expectations have been raised by the champagne football of recent months. Not all of them, you suspect, were there for the Withdean and the Goldstone years'

:thumbsup:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Like I said on another thread yesterday, the whole footballing world can see it. Including Tony Bloom. ESPECIALLY Tony Bloom. If he's not paying the going rate for an EPL-ready striker, it's either because he can't or he won't

This is the bottom line.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
'but the smattering of boos in the ground at full-time belied a fanbase whose expectations have been raised by the champagne football of recent months. Not all of them, you suspect, were there for the Withdean and the Goldstone years'

:thumbsup:

And this too.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Like I said on another thread yesterday, the whole footballing world can see it. Including Tony Bloom. ESPECIALLY Tony Bloom. If he's not willing to pay the going rate for an EPL-ready striker, it's either because he can't or he won't. If it's the latter, it's going to bite him in the bum bigtime, and sooner rather than later

My guess is they tried and failed to sign targetted players. I think one went to Barcelona. Others may have had what at the time were ludicrous salary demands (£200K a week) or price tag (£80 mill).

My guess, also, is that TB will weigh up where this squad and manager might go, what it may take to sign a game changing goal scorer in terms of transfer fee and wages and the knock-on effects on the rest of the squad, and what may happen if he doesn't take this option.

I am also confident that TB knows more about it than us lot put together.

Someone reminded us of the 0-4 against Darlington, played at Priestfield. I was at that game. For all I know TB was there too.

He knows.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
My guess is they tried and failed to sign targetted players. I think one went to Barcelona. Othere may have had what at the time were ludicrous salary demands (£200K a week) or price tag (£80 mill).

My guess, also, is that TB will weigh up where this squad and manager might go, what it may take to sign a game changing goal scorer in terms of transfer fee and wages and the knock-on effects on the rest of the squad, and what may happen if he doesn't take this option.

Someone reminded us of the 0-4 against Darlington, played at Priestfield. I was at that game. For all I know TB was there too.

He knows.

Who wanted £200k a week?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
My guess is they tried and failed to sign targetted players. I think one went to Barcelona. Othere may have had what at the time were ludicrous salary demands (£200K a week) or price tag (£80 mill).

He knows.

Probably some Tottenham fans said much the same thing about Alan Sugar once. Football chewed him up and spat him out. Football doesn't follow the normal rules of commerce. Some of the smartest people in business still end up with large quantities of egg on their face when it comes to football

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
”It feels hopelessly simplistic to boil down the issues with Graham Potter’s complex and delicately balanced Brighton team to “just sign a striker”. But, you know. Sometimes you really do just have to sign a striker."

WE ALL KNOW THAT THANKS GUARDIAN!

Signing a striker or goal scorer is very complex.

The ones we get are either too inexperienced or not Premier League level.

The ones we miss out on tend to do very well.

The club don’t want to break the salary cap/transfer budget to do it.

They just need some luck picking up a youngish player that is good value for money but will take chances regularly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here