Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
If he doesn’t like booing there’s a solution: win some matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Or it galvanises a lot of us fans who felt exactly the same as Potter did. Some booing came from East Upper above us - who’d made **** all noise all game, or any game!! The only time I’ve heard the East Upper now was to have a boo at the end. Doesn’t annoy me in the slightest GP has showed some real passion and dared to have a pop at some of the home customers….I mean ‘supporters’.

Who has it galvanised the press don’t make the distinction between those who did and didn’t so now we have all been labelled as booing when the reality was it was a very small minority.

I expect our manager to rise about the minority even when directly questioned something like ‘I heard a few boos but sure the majority see that performance for what it is etc etc.. ‘

Instead he has fed them headlines that they craved. It’s never a good look to call out any of your fan base as a manager however much we all disagree with the actions of the few

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I wasn’t bored, other than not scoring thought we were excellent, playing some of the best football I’ve ever seen this club play. An entertaining 0-0 if ever there was one. Very frustrated we didn’t score, but yesterday had absolutely nothing to do with how the manager set us up.
Don’t agree at all, the night Knockhaert stole the show against Manure was far more exciting attacking with intent football.

If last night is what you enjoy then fair enough, personally an ok performance with a 2-0 win would of been more memorable than last nights efforts. We remember beating Leeds last season, we will soon forget a 0-0.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Watching Brighton at the moment for me is like being married to a young Brad Pitt and not being allowed to touch him. I never understood booing your own team but football fans and people in general are sheep like, it was probably a few started and a lot more joined in. If Graham Potter is as smart as I think he is, he will realise that the frustration is the accumulation of watching games were we play teams of the park but not score and either draw or lose. I am also sure finding the 20 goal a season striker in the premier league is not cheep or easy.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's really not.

It's about Graham Potter and what I felt was slightly out of character today.

Irritation? Frustration? Pressure? A little bit of all of those?

It's not the first time he's done it. He's told the home crowd they don't understand football a number of times over the years. Rightly, obviously.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I’ve never really warmed to him as I have other managers. His job is to win football matches not bore draw us to death.

Likewise, He's a bit John Major. Although I've warmed to him over the years, and that really is saying something.

we play pretty football albeit ineffective a lot of the time, it is certainly not boring the way we play, just a bit like having a ferrari with a diesel engine and an automatic gearbox. Frustrating is barely scratching the surface

Trying to remind us and reference history is utterly irrelevant given what he's inherited. Considering what he's been given to work with it's nothing more than patronising.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I have only seen the video of his after match comments on the BBC website.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59356978

Can you point me in the direction where he “mocked” our history, as that must have been in another interview!

Maybe what he should have said is “we currently sit 8th in the Premier League, WTF do these idiots want or expect.”
We have never finished a season above 13th in our entire history.

So it's a rum old do when we are booing when our team is 8th.

We just have to accept that some of our fans are very entitled.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
E30A7EBC-C99F-4DDD-9825-567737157B96.jpeg

Thank you Mr Potter.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Shouldn't Potter man up aswell? Also he had the final say on how that money was spent. One thing Bloom does do is back his managers.

They don't always have the final say on it.

Occasionally it's " Take it or leave it ". OR. " It's him or no one" - So technically yes they do get the final say on matters

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Not even the first time he’s attacked the fans though

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
I’ve never really warmed to him as I have other managers. His job is to win football matches not bore draw us to death.

I think you will find his job is to accrue enough points to keep us in this league and help us progress as a club, hopefully, again, he will achieve both - possibly despite people like you and those that booed last night!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I covered this in the boo boys thread but his comments certainly didn't go down well with my son. At 15 and just starting to go away as well as home, and as a teen who is all over social media all the time, he is probably the sort of fan we need to be pleasing, rather than an old fart like me. Good performance or not he was as perplexed by the misses, by the substitutions and by our lack of options as he was about Potter's comments.

Not a great day at the office but no doubt plenty were pleased by the performance.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
Strange that its only BHA fans he has had a go at... the bloke would walk a mile out of his way to avoid criticising referees, oppo players, managers, VAR etc usually.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Booing was a stupid reaction, which gains nothing positive, but a level of frustration at how the final 30 minutes played out was justified. 3 points were there for us if we’d kept the same level of play and intensity from the previous 60 minutes, used our subs well, & I’m sure eventually a chance would have found the net. But when Locadia came on our attacking play was reduced to poor Championship standard. I don’t mean to unjustly scapegoat the guy but adding that weak link to our front 3 meant all our slick passing football disappeared. Booing a Brighton team that sit 8th in the Prem is just stupid but frustration at missing a chance for three points in the way things happened I can understand.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think you will find his job is to accrue enough points to keep us in this league and help us progress as a club, hopefully, again, he will achieve both - possibly despite people like you and those that booed last night!
Eh? You have basically re worded the job is to win football matches :facepalm: unless there is a magical points fairy I don’t know about.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Strange that its only BHA fans he has had a go at... the bloke would walk a mile out of his way to avoid criticising referees, oppo players, managers, VAR etc usually.

So it’s very clear it really pissed him off. I’m with him for calling out booing after a performance like that, which had everything but a goal. Mentioning our history was a bit sarcastic but he’s not wrong is he?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here