Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The first crack in Graham Potter's calm demeanour?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We got back to The Bridge car park just in time to heat Graham Potter's post-match interview on SCR and I was quite surprised at hearing him bite back, just a little bit, when asked about the boos.

It stuck me as out of character for a man who, incident with Pep aside, always seem to be so in control of his emotions and how he expresses himself - never seeking to criticise, even where it seems obviously merited.

"I don’t understand the reaction at the end in the ground because I couldn’t be happier with what the guys did.

“Everyone’s entitled to their opinion. I completely disagree. I can only say I am really proud of my team, proud of the players, how they played against a tough opponent, created chances. You’ve got Tariq Lamptey, Jakob Moder - young players out there doing their best. Robert Sanchez in goal - a young player doing his best. Marc Cucurella I thought was fantastic, Leo Trossard - fantastic.

"But maybe I need a history lesson, maybe I need to understand where we’re at, because as far as I can see we’re 8th in the Premier League and the boys are giving everything, so we’ll carry on.”​

Listen here:

[tweet]1464689686941769732[/tweet]

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
He needs to man up. Yes, 8th is great. But he's assembled the most expensive Brighton side ever, our twenty million pound striker is missing open goals, and we are 8 games without a win.

There's no excuse for booing but there's none for that dummy spit either.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Don't agree with the booing but it's excruciating and not enjoyable watching the Albion playing like that in front if goal and it's been like this for 2 years. Also found his history lesson comment patronising. As I said on another thread, hope it's because emotions were raw just after the game. He should just use that anger and passion with shooting practice tomorrow at Lancing. Putting an arm around them hasn't really helped has it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
As Lineker has just said on Match of the Day, :

Thankyou to the two people left, still watching M of D following two goal less games.

Support s want to see goals, not football played like a game of tedious chess.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
He needs to man up. Yes, 8th is great. But he's assembled the most expensive Brighton side ever, our twenty million pound striker is missing open goals, and we are 8 games without a win.

He was hardly out of control……

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He was very pissed off about the same thing in Östersund (2 minutes into the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyWtZIzr8wU

Completely understandable. If you lose 5-0 or something against a shit side and your players are not working hard, then it is one thing, but when you play well and you get booed... well it doesnt really motivate players to do that little extra for the fans, so as a manager it has impact on your work as well.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Man up, like saying what you think despite some not liking what you are going to say?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
As Lineker has just said on Match of the Day, :

Thankyou to the two people left, still watching M of D following two goal less games.

Support s want to see goals, not football played like a game of tedious chess.

We created about 8 guilt edged chances. You could say many things but that wasn’t football played like a game of tedious chess. If we didn’t have Sunday league finishing we’d have had three or four easily.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Another thread about booing fans, fantastic :D

It's really not.

It's about Graham Potter and what I felt was slightly out of character today.

Irritation? Frustration? Pressure? A little bit of all of those?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
We created about 8 guilt edged chances. You could say many things but that wasn’t football played like a game of tedious chess. If we didn’t have Sunday league finishing we’d have had three or four easily.

Today we created good chances but if you watched Mof t Day you would have seen that Brighton created the least goal opportunities of any team against Aston Villa this season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Today we created good chances but if you watched Mof t Day you would have seen that Brighton created the least goal opportunities of any team against Aston Villa this season.

Which isn’t really relevant to today. We were very poor on Saturday. It’s not really a reflection on today or the rest of the season.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I have never booed our players and never will but

Graham has to understand the fans frustration FFS. Coming out on radio complaining about this displays a lack of emotional intelligence in him not the fans and he's the guy with the masters.

I love him and think he's doing an amazing job but the history lesson comment came out as smarmy to me and won't do him any favours.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
It's really not.

It's about Graham Potter and what I felt was slightly out of character today.

Irritation? Frustration? Pressure? A little bit of all of those?

Irritation and frustration definitely the reason why there were boo’s from a fans view. So many missed chances . The substitutions also seemed a little strange. Didn’t boo myself but could understand people being somewhat disgruntled at full time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
He was very pissed off about the same thing in Östersund (2 minutes into the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyWtZIzr8wU

Completely understandable. If you lose 5-0 or something against a shit side and your players are not working hard, then it is one thing, but when you play well and you get booed... well it doesnt really motivate players to do that little extra for the fans, so as a manager it has impact on your work as well.

Thanks for posting this. What with the previous dig at fans as mentioned already aswell it just seems our Graham can get a bit over sensitive at times and can't always maintain the level headed calmness from his emotional intelligence training. No biggie, nothing to see here really.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Dummy spit? We're 8th having played 2 of the big 3 in those first 13 games, and people are booing a DRAW?

Anyone would be pissed off at that reaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here