Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings Brighton - Leeds

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve purposely marked players down for not finishing chances. This cost us 2 points.

Sanchez: 8 - Amazing saves at the end when Leeds almost nicked it.

Dunk: 7 - No attacking threat at corners which was annoying. Pretty sound in defence though.

Webster: 8 - Like Dunk, not at the races at attacking corners but some brilliant carrying of the ball and a lovely through ball for Lamptey showed his class.

Veltman: 7 - Great defensive positioning. Neat passing and linked well with Lamptey.

Lamptey: 9 - A brilliant performance. Leeds only tactic was to foul him, nothing else worked. He should have had 3 assists if it was not for the horrific finishing.

Groß: 6 - Has pascal taken a shot under Potter? He should be more selfish and shoot from distance because I’m sure that he has a better shot than 90% of the team. Poor set-pieces.

Bissouma: 6 - Leeds offered so little, his main role of interceptor was part time. So nice carries of the ball but disgraceful finishing x 2.

Cucurella: 8 - Very good game, some nice balls into the box that weren’t finished (again).

Moder: 6 - Two shots, two misses. The last one should have been cut back for others. Really good other than shooting but I’m sick and tired of that description of our players. Another who cost us 2 points today.

Trossard: 9 - I thought he was sublime. Both his shots needed saving by the keeper and his skill, strength and drive was amazing. That was the performance of a top six player.

Maupay: 5 - Overall game was a ‘7’ but docked a point per missed ‘big’ chance in the 1st half. Potter has no back-up for him or alternative ‘big’ striker which is why we’re not scoring until Welbeck is fit.

Subs:

Locadia: 4 - Last appearance in the Premier League for us. I think Connolly has been permanently struck off for attitude problems which is a shame because I’m sure he’d have got a ‘5’ instead of a ‘4’ if he’d come on.

March: 6 - An awful pass or two but at least got two shots out that made the keeper work. As usual with Solly, no bulging net. Better at left wing back with reduced shooting responsibilities because he is a Championship level finisher (at best).

Sarmiento: n/a - Not enough time to get into the game.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
6 - average

Sanchez - 7
Lamptey - 8
Webster - 7
Dunk - 7
Veltman - 7
Cucurella - 9
Bissouma. - 6
Gross - 6
Moder - 6
Trossard - 8
Maupay - 5

That's about how I saw it.

I wonder what it will take for Bissouma to be firing on all cylinders again or even whether it will happen again with us. Still, Maupay's misses and Trossard's bad luck cost us most.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Sanchez - 8. Two crucial saves in the second half - a killer pass to Cucurella near the end (and a shocker too)
Veltman - 5. I thought he was really poor - I'm normally a big fan, but he gave the ball away too many times
Webster - 6. The good and the bad in full effect, excellent runs, but gave the ball away in dangerous positions several times
Dunk - 6. I don't think he has been at his usual levels for the past few games - best of the 3 cbs though
Cuccurella - 7. Top player - very good defensively yesterday to go with the usual attacking prowess
Lamptey- 8. Superb in the first half, inexplicably underused in the second. - clearly being managed back to full fitness.
Groß - 5. Amazed he stayed on the pitch - I love him, but he seems to be going backwards at the moment.
Bissouma - 7. Not quite back to his best, but solid performance and some incredible tackles.
Moder - 7. Strong performance again from the young man
Trossard - 9. Incredible again - as some wag behind me sang, "he's just too good for us"
Maupay - 4. Confidence has gone hasn't it? Not all bad, but Jesus the first miss was just horrendous. The second was pretty awful too.

Locadia - 4. Can't really blame him - He's not good enough - I would rather Potter had tried Sarmiento first.
March - 7. Probably our best shot on goal. - Decent as always.
Sarmiento- 6.5. Not given long enough to really show what he can do, but glad to see him considered as an option.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Sanchez 7 Two good saves near the end prevented a serious robbery.
Dunk 7 Cool, calm and some good passing.
Webster 6 Great at times but still capable of a silly pass.
Veltman 7 Did nothing wrong and hard to shine with Lamptey in front of him.
Cucurella 8 Excellent game and worked so hard.
Lamptey 8 MoM. what a steal he was from Chelsea!
Moder 6 Missed a couple of chances but solid.
Trossard 8 Joint MoM what would we do without him? So creative and skillful has added hard work to that too.
Bissouma 7 Better but not at his best yet.
Gross 6 Most corners were poor. Perhaps we need a new person in that job. Otherwise ok
Maupay 5 Works hard but a very poor job as a striker. Missed 2 absolute sitters.

Locadia 3 Was GP just making a point here? This is all I have got to work with?
March 7 Did well and created some chances.
Sarmiento 6 Didn't really do much in his 10 minute cameo.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Some pretty tough ratings on the defense that completely ate their £80m attackers and Pascal Gross who helped Bissouma to dominate the game and dictate play, imo.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Sanchez 6.5 Two good saves did what he had to do when called on.
Dunk 7 Best defender but what happened to that player who could hit a delightful 50yd pass
Webster 6.5 Great runs but too much much mucking about at the back which presented them a golden chance
Veltman 6.5 Not sure what his was - did nothing wrong and nothing extraordinary
Cucurella 8 Best game for us - we need to see if he can shoot
Lamptey 8.5 Some brilliant play difficult to sort out who was MOTM with Trossard but
Moder 6.5 marked down as he needs to be scoring for us but a reasonable game. Goes missing for bits in teh game then does something unexpectedly good
Trossard 9 Marginally MOTM because he was everywhere and the engine of the team . Need to get his contract extended.
Bissouma 7 a couple of decent tackles and a vey poor shot
Gross 6 Mixed bag of good intelligent play , too many backward balls and poor corners and freekicks.
Maupay 5 Thought he was making more contribution and beginning to have the most impact just before he came off. Not a good substitution from GP.
Locadia 3 Got a shot on target , no where near play most of the time.
Sarmiento 6.5 Looked like he wanted the ball and played some delightful football. Should have been on earlier.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Maupay had a bad game, which was a shame.
Webster and Gross didn't have a good game
Others were alright
Lamptey, Cucurella and Trossard were good.

And Sanchez was good too. One of those Leeds chances could easily have crept in had he not made some very good saves..

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Sanchez 6.5 Two good saves did what he had to do when called on.
Dunk 7 Best defender but what happened to that player who could hit a delightful 50yd pass
Webster 6.5 Great runs but too much much mucking about at the back which presented them a golden chance
Veltman 6.5 Not sure what his was - did nothing wrong and nothing extraordinary
Cucurella 8 Best game for us - we need to see if he can shoot
Lamptey 8.5 Some brilliant play difficult to sort out who was MOTM with Trossard but
Moder 6.5 marked down as he needs to be scoring for us but a reasonable game. Goes missing for bits in teh game then does something unexpectedly good
Trossard 9 Marginally MOTM because he was everywhere and the engine of the team . Need to get his contract extended.
Bissouma 7 a couple of decent tackles and a vey poor shot
Gross 6 Mixed bag of good intelligent play , too many backward balls and poor corners and freekicks.
Maupay 5 Thought he was making more contribution and beginning to have the most impact just before he came off. Not a good substitution from GP.
Locadia 3 Got a shot on target , no where near play most of the time.
Sarmiento 6.5 Looked like he wanted the ball and played some delightful football. Should have been on earlier.

Although on target Locadia's shot was very poor, far too weak.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Sanchez 7 - Didn't have much to do but did make a decent save in the second half.
Dunk 7 - Some wayward passes recently, still solid though.
Webster 8 - some really good runs, wanted to get forward and made a few things happen.
Veltman 6 - slightly above average. Not his best game.
Cucurella 9 - superb. So confident and loves to attack.
Lamptey 9 - so happy he's not playing against us. Excellent performance.
Moder 6 - starting to see him come good. Looked better playing further forward.
Trossard 8 - looked sharp. Deserved a goal or two.
Bissouma 5 - not a great game, absent for most of it.
Gross 6 - has an amazing ability to take all the pace out of an attack.
Maupay 3 - missing that many sitters is unacceptable. Atrocious performance.

Locadia 2 - not a footballer
March 7 - looked lively when he came on.
Sarmiento 7 - this kid is going to be mustard. Needs to start against West ham/Southampton.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Sanchez - 8. Two crucial saves in the second half - a killer pass to Cucurella near the end (and a shocker too)
Veltman - 5. I thought he was really poor - I'm normally a big fan, but he gave the ball away too many times
Webster - 6. The good and the bad in full effect, excellent runs, but gave the ball away in dangerous positions several times
Dunk - 6. I don't think he has been at his usual levels for the past few games - best of the 3 cbs though

Have to disagree with your ratings on all the back three but especially veltman . I have felt for a while that he was not being treated fairly on these rating threads so yesterday i watched him in particular and did not see him put a foot wrong indeed i remember one particular incident where if it hadn't been for his good positioning and excellent clearing header one of their players would have certainly scored !
Sorry , not trying to call you out in particular but most of the other posters on this thread have him at the least as a 7 and several make a point of saying he "did nothing wrong " so not entirely sure whether you are just perhaps someone who has already made up their mind about someone before the game although you do say you are normally a fan . .
Or maybe it is me with rose coloured specs on !

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Have to disagree with your ratings on all the back three but especially veltman . I have felt for a while that he was not being treated fairly on these rating threads so yesterday i watched him in particular and did not see him put a foot wrong indeed i remember one particular incident where if it hadn't been for his good positioning and excellent clearing header one of their players would have certainly scored !
Sorry , not trying to call you out in particular but most of the other posters on this thread have him at the least as a 7 and several make a point of saying he "did nothing wrong " so not entirely sure whether you are just perhaps someone who has already made up their mind about someone before the game although you do say you are normally a fan . .

No I really rate him.
Most of my opinion on him was from what I saw in the first half, where he seemed to be giving the ball away quite often.

Very unlike him, but I felt he was poor in the first half

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

He was spot on about Webster. At least once Webster inexplicably passed the ball away under no pressure. More often than not, that would have led to a goal.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

Spot on. He was quietly superb. Again

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
6 - average

Sanchez - 7
Lamptey - 8
Webster - 7
Dunk - 7
Veltman - 7
Cucurella - 9
Bissouma. - 6
Gross - 6
Moder - 6
Trossard - 8
Maupay - 5

Not far off me. Maupay and Moder marked down for their misses, but they still played well.
Sanchez 7
Lamptey 8.5 -- 9 for first half, but faded thereafter
Webster 6 -- two great passes, several brilliant driving runs, but the howler wasn't his only misplaced pass
Dunk 7
Veltman 8 -- thought he was rock hard
Cucurella 9 MotM -- just a top, top player
Bissouma 7
Gross 6
Moder 6
Trossard 8.5 -- 9 for first half, easily our PotS so far
Maupay 5

Locadia -- not for me
March 7 -- couple of errors, but two decent efforts
Sarmiento -- special mention, exciting prospect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports